Can you paint your own parking place outside your house?

samanthajane

Was out earlier on and I got stuck in an estate for 10 mins because the road was blocked by 2 people arguing over a parking space.

The owner of the house had painted his own parking space outside his house in yellow and with the disabled sign in the middle of it. He came home to find someone else parked there and wasn't very happy.

Both arguing the point that they were in the right, I even got asked who i thought was right and I couldn't answer cause I honestly didn't know.

I always thought that as long as your not blocking anyone else's drive way then it's fair game and you can park where ever you want. Although i wish this wasn't the case cause i always get people parking around my house that dont block ( most of the time ) but hinder me in getting into my drive way. ( my house is the only house on a stretch of road that leads to a driveway and it's a dead end. No one needs to really drive up the road apart from me )

So who's right in this case??

The owner was completely wrong - the council own the road outside your house so anyone (as long as it's road legal) can park there. If he wants to ask the council to designate the space a disabled bay and have them paint the right markings, that's his right.

Are you certain he painted the space himself? Most local authorities will provide a disabled space outside a house if there is a need, though it is still a public space, and no individual has exclusive rights to it.

I saw an artist's parked 4 x 4 on the disabled parking space at Merrion Square while she was exhibiting her pictures. She had a disabled permit. However I would have thought that disabled spaces were not allowed to be used by disabled people in this way?

This is one of the things I like about AAM, every now and then you get a gem of a post like this. Just fantastic.

Are you certain he painted the space himself? Most local authorities will provide a disabled space outside a house if there is a need, though it is still a public space, and no individual has exclusive rights to it.

I've never seen a disabled parking space in an estate before, the council could very well have provided it for him. Didn't get a great look at it as i only saw when the other guy finally moved his car and i was able to leave the estate.

Why? If she has a permit, she can use the space. Do you think that disabled people shouldn't drive 4x4's? Or shouldn't be working for profit?

Isn't it a sad ol' world that we live in that someone would begrudge a disabled person a parking space be it allocated by the Council or not

?? Odd post.

Why? If she has a permit, she can use the space. Do you think that disabled people shouldn't drive 4x4's? Or shouldn't be working for profit?

So it's first come first served then? This person can park her car in a specific disabled space in the city centre all day long while at work thus depriving those other disabled drivers the use of that space during the day?

Spaces are few and far between and they are for the use of all disabled drivers throughout the day. I think it's extremely selfish for one person to lay claim to that one space for the whole day.

We she disabled or is just that the vehicle she was driving has a disabled sticker?

While were on the topic, I hate it when ignorant people park in the child/family parking spots in supermarket carparks even when they have no children with them - what's the use in having these spaces if the supermarket is not willing to enforce the parking rules? Was in a supermarket carpark recently with young child - spotted a vacant family spot, but by the time I got there, a woman in a van had parked in it - no children and vehicle wasnt even capable of holding a young child. Complained to the security guards - all they did was shrug their shoulders.

I have to admit to regularly parking in the parent and child spaces in my local shopping centre. I don't feel I should be discriminated against or inconvenienced because I don't have children. I often have my 90 year old grandmother with me and don't want to have her walking unnecessarily, especially in bad weather. As there are no dedicated 'grandparent and grandchild' spaces, I use the parent and child spaces, unashamedly.

Parking in a disabled space is another matter altogether - I wouldn't dream of it. Having children however is not a disability and I don't see why parents should have special parking priveleges. (Awaits abuse )

Dem's the rules all right - first come, first served. Have you asked other disabled drivers what they think about these rules? Do you expect a disabled person who works 9-5 to keep moving their car during the day?

The owner of the house had painted his own parking space outside his house in yellow and with the disabled sign in the middle of it. He came home to find someone else parked there and wasn't very happy.

No. People have none the likes of this (double yellow lines) before and have been brought to court for vandalism. It is no different from painting graffiti on a wall.

Haha 'grandparent and grandchild spaces'...this list could go on and on.

If i saw you with with your grandmother using one of the spaces, then I wouldn't make much of it, you do probably need it more than what I do. I'd just find another space.

I dont even bother going anywhere near the parent and children parking spaces anymore since my children are older. I think they are aimed more at younger children that cant walk by themselves or toddlers.

From experience it's not fun pushing a trolley full, with it going every direction but the way you want it to go, with one baby sitting in it and trying to stop another one from running all over the place and stay beside you, while trying to get to your car which is at the other end of the car park.

No. People have none the likes of this (double yellow lines) before and have been brought to court for vandalism. It is no different from painting graffiti on a wall.
Just to clarify, the OP incorrectly assumed that the council did NOT provide such parking spaces in residential estates. It is more than likely that the space in question was provided by the council.

I know...its not fun pushing a full trolley in any circumstances. And its one of the downsides of having children I'm afraid, something which is not my problem. I know that sounds harsh but I'm tired of parents who constantly expect special treatment. Believe me, when you're trying to support an elderly woman at the same time as pushing a full trolley, it isn't any easier. In fact its harder, as you can't sit her in the trolley (although I am going to suggest that on our next shopping trip).

I've only gotten abuse about it once, from a yummy mummy in an SUV, who I told where to go, in no uncertain terms.

Have to say I park miles away from anyone with kids/baby seats in the car. I was parking one day when a car loaded with kiddies, prams etc parked beside me. Kids just whacked open the car and banged my car

This applies with the elderly too - they can't sqeeze in and out of tiny spaces. And because I've yet to come across dedicated OAP parking, I don't have an alternative.

But on a related issue, if there are no other spaces available other than parent and child spaces, I would use them without hesitation, even if alone. Mind you, I've never been in that situation and wouldn't purposely park in the dedicated spaces if an alternative is available.

I must open new thread to let off steam about my parents v non parents issues!!

Just a comment on disabled spaces. My mother spent her last years in a wheelchair. I was the person with the disabled permit on my car as I was the only person who drove her about.

I was challenged about using a disabled space on one occasion as my mother was not in the car with me. The reason why? She was at an 'event' that she had been brought too in a minibus (with others) but because of another appointment had to leave early and I was the one collecting her. To a casual observer it did indeed look as though I, an able bodied person, was just parking in a disabled space, using my permit and walking off - with no real need of the space. However, if a casual observer had hung around they would have seen me return with a lady in a wheelchair who needed the extra space so the wheelchair could be put right next to the carseat and the lady in it manouvered from wheelchair to car - at which point the wheelchair got folded up and into the boot with it.

So dont be too quick to judge who is using disabled spaces and why, you do not know if they are coming to collect the person for whom the permit is assigned.

As a result of my adventures with disabled parking I NEVER park in any spaces designated for any reason, I know the frustration of having to just hang out in a carpark waiting for a space large enough to handle the whole wheelchair manouvering situation. I can imagine the same amount of difficulty with a buggy or pram.

While I agree with aonfocaileile that there are no dedicated parking spaces for OAPs (and there should be) I disagree that a normal parking space does not provide enough room for an elderly person to get in and out of the car. The extra space is not to accomodate a human, its to accomodate a buggy/pram in children/mother spaces and a wheelchair in disabled spaces and using those spaces without real need just leaves someone in a position that they cannot get a child or disabled person safetly in and out of the car.