Calls grow for Mary Lou McDonald to make Dáil statement about former party press officer

It’s a natural reaction to being on the wrong end of a disciplinary process to rubbish the process itself and to characterise it using terms such as kangaroo court etc.

In most companies, the occurrence of disciplinary issues never reaches the public domain but anyone who feels that due process hasn’t been followed has recourse to legal action or the WRC etc. The difference here is that it’s all being played out in public.

All that we’re relying on at the moment is speculation.

While I’m no fan of the shinners, what we know for sure is that they conducted an investigation arising from a complaint about one of their star players. I’m not sure whether that would have happened in the past.

There’s no good outcome to this for SF. Either Stanley has been unfairly treated and was indeed subject to a kangaroo court OR one of the shinners’ most senior representatives has behaved in a way that left them with no option but to consider kicking him out.

Take your pick. It’s not a good look either way.

It's hard to follow.
Someone made a complaint about him which was not criminal in nature.
So, as far as I can make out, there is no accusation of criminality against Brian Stanley.
Then there was a counter-complaint which was potentially criminal in nature.
But the Preliminary report is reported to have said that Stanley is guilty of gross misbehaviour.
So they referred it to the Gardai out of "an abundance of caution"

I presume that within all political parties, there is misbehaviour and complaints made to the party H.Q. Most would not be referred to the Gardai as most misbehaviour is not criminal.

It's hard to follow.
Someone made a complaint about him which was not criminal in nature.
So, as far as I can make out, there is no accusation of criminality against Brian Stanley.
Then there was a counter-complaint which was potentially criminal in nature.
But the Preliminary report is reported to have said that Stanley is guilty of gross misbehaviour.
So they referred it to the Gardai out of "an abundance of caution"

I presume that within all political parties, there is misbehaviour and complaints made to the party H.Q. Most would not be referred to the Gardai as most misbehaviour is not criminal.
There's a difference between breaking the rules (of an organisation) and breaking the law. I suppose the question is at what point did the distinction become unclear?

Back