Buying cigs while in transit

Laphroaig

Hi all

Flying Perth to Dublin via Singapore snd Frankfurt in a few weeks

Looking to benefit as much as I can from cheaper cigarette prices

I know I can bring 200 duty free bought in Singapore but receiving conflicting advice ref the Frankfurt stage

One says I can buy 800 duty paid there, but another friend says they may not sell me any duty paid cigarettes ithe airport

Anyone have any experience or reliable info on this please?

Thanks in advance

The only thing that matters is what you are allowed to bring into Ireland which is 200
So if you get stopped at by customs in Dublin that's all they will allow
Having said that Mrs C in the past has brought in multiples of that allowance in different airports and never has had a problem either buying large amounts or getting past customs unchecked

I thought the guidelines were 800 intra-EU but in reality you can bring as much as you want for your personal use. Do they allow 15 to 16 cartons but question anything over that?

Truth is Revenue are messing with the citizenry. They try very hard to give the impression that there are hard limits to intra-EU duty paid imports for personal use. There aren't. But it suits the Irish government if people think there are.

But surely there is a threshold here?

I can’t reasonably claim 5,000 cigarettes are for my personal use in the near term.
Not being a smoker, I wouldn't be sure. But under EU law, there's no requirement that the personal.use be for the "near term." No reason at all why one can't import a few years supply if it's for personal use.
Anyway, I believe that some smokers go through 50 a day. So 5000 would be about three months worth. Seems like personal use to me.

I thought the guidelines were 800 intra-EU but in reality you can bring as much as you want for your personal use. Do they allow 15 to 16 cartons but question anything over that?
Intra-EU is completely different to Duty Free which is what the OP was asking about

Sorry PMC365, I've just re-read the OPs post again and I missed the part of "Duty paid" in Frankfurt, so you are quite correct about the 800

Last edited:
Anyway, I believe that some smokers go through 50 a day. So 5000 would be about three months worth. Seems like personal use to me.
Am not a smoker either but 50 a day is very hard to manage given all workplaces and indoor public places forbid it!

Revenue write here that 800 is “generally considered “ personal use. The language is imprecise on purpose but there must in practical terms be a hard limit.

Am not a smoker either but 50 a day is very hard to manage given all workplaces and indoor public places forbid it!

Revenue write here that 800 is “generally considered “ personal use. The language is imprecise on purpose but there must in practical terms be a hard limit.

Indeed, the majority of smokers in Ireland smoke less than a pack a day.

I was awaiting the health advice and I’ve not been disappointed! Appreciate the thoughts.

Thanks to all for the advice, it does seem to be permissible to carry 800 duty PAID, I won’t be too greedy and risk more.

Also contacted Buy & Collect at Frankfurt Airport to confirm they will sell them to me ( after someone else saying they might not), awaiting their reply

I’ll update on the outcome, may be useful to others

Thanks again

Couple of things I forgot to respond to-

My flights to and from Frankfurt are both T1 and I’ll be staying airside

The 200 cigs from Singapore - my thoughts weee if my arrival in Frankfurt is delayed, I may be whisked to the Dublin gate and not be able to buy there, the Singapore cigs would be better than nothing ( to me, not for me haha)

Thanks again

I've never known "duty free" stores to sell tobacco at Duty Paid prices, but you may find there's a store in the airport that sells cigarettes, however I suspect it will not be airside.

On the other hand, the price difference between cigarettes in Singapore airport and Germany is not huge, so its not exactly on the radar of German customs hence I'd be tempted to buy a few more in Singapore. :D

In terms of risk, I think I've made 300 intra-EU flights or ferry trips as an adult and have never had luggage inspected on arrival for cigarettes.

The only time it did happen to me was on a regional train years ago crossing from France to Belgium when French customs officers got on just before the train crossed the border and searched everyone's luggage. At the time there was a euro or two in excise difference on cigarettes between the two jurisdictions and I imagine it was profitable to buy and transport in bulk.

This is proving trickier than I expected

My cases will be checked through to Dub so I have no access to them after my first checkin
Street procing Singapore aren’t much cheaper than home so not worth the risk of loading up before checkin

Still trying to find out if there a duty paid shop airside at Frankfurt

Back