Build costs

Jigsey-
Who were you most impressed by and who are you likely to run with?

Local Timber Frame Builder using Premier Timber Frames Midleton.

They were very detailed at initial consultation, making "obvious now" changes.

Although we are gonna build the garage ourselves as Timber Framed Garage was expensive

They're a division of Healy Bros Concrete aren't they? So the builder is going to get the frame from Premier Homes? Didn't realise they did that. Interesting point on the garage - we didn't get any to price our garage but we plan on going brick built for that.

Hi I have recently been getting quotes for building by direct labour 2200 sq m in co waterford. Still waiting on planning permission. At the minute the best prices i have got is e10,000 for blocklayer, e4,000ish exc vat for blocks from roadstone, e13,000 for plasterer and around e3000-e4000 for plastering materials, e5000 for electrician including materials.
Also windows e10,000.
Can anyone advise me if these prices are good or could i do better???
That a total to complete foundations, blocks, windows, plastering and electrics of around e46,500 which i think is ok, we are doing the foundations ourselves and digging of the site is being done by a friend as returned favour for free all we must pay for is the diesel for the digger.
Please let me know if this sounds good/bad???

Hi - I assume you mean 2200 sq feet not metres?
I get mixed up myself sometimes.

We finished a 2200 sq ft dormer in Co Roscommon last August.
Some figures

Plastering - inside and out (ouside garage only) incl materials - €14k - could have got cheaper but this one was supposed to be the best)
Blocks - €4k
Windows and external doors - €6600 from TJ Grady - I think they operate nationwide?
Sanitary ware and showers and shower pump - €4200 (fairly basic stuff - 1 bathroom + 3 ensuites and 1 cloakroom)
Electrics - €4k incl all materials (cash)
Plumbing €9k includes oil boiler and rads and all heating etc - just excludes showers , pump for showers and sanitary ware. (Could have got cheaper if willing to wait)

See my blog entry for details

http://self-build-in-ireland.blogspot.com/2005/06/cost-of-build.html

I am looking at putting on a one room extension (5m x 5m) I have been given guideline estimates of €20k, If I had a shopping list of materials needed, are there any websites available where you are able to do a check price on material costs. I understand labour is included in the €20k but I would like to get an overall feel for the material costs.

Thanks irishlinks for that,u done well would u have a contact number for tj gradys? Were the windows and doors good quaility??we were thinking of going with munster joinery!! U only had 4k down for the blocks was that the materials??

Yes - 4k was materials only. The same builder did the blockloaying and the foundation and the roof - so the labour was all charged as one figure for those. Total labour (no VAt) was about 28k for the house. The garage was about another 4k on top.

I think when you say dead work you really mean ground work - - - Would include foundations, subfloors, sewerage, surface water etc ...

joecoe0110 said:
Am building a 2650sqF dormer self build bungalow in Blarney, have so far approached approx 8 TF manufacturers to get quotes - they are due back in about 2 weeks or so. So far i have been impressed by Cygnum as they have been the only ones to ask relevant questions about the design etc - will post up the quotes when there in if anyone is interested.

Joecoe

Hi Joecoe.... what kind of quotes did you get back?

ninsaga

Havent forgotten mate, just putting them in some kinda order and reviewing the specification - should be posted tomorrow.

Joecoe

Great .. am looking forward to seeing what comes up as I could be going down that route sometime shortly!

ninsaga

hi aisling, we built last year and had a house around the same size done. the cost of blocklayer was 7k. my husband did the plastering and my brother is plumber so we were quite lucky. The blocklayer was fast, efficient and work was well up to scratch. we plan on getting garage and stables done this year and will be getting him back.
regards

Build is off, due to us being ripped off.

From Post in other section

We agreed a price for a 0.6 acre site with OPP in October, We got site map from Estate agent and decided to use the Architect who did the Outline Planning for the Vendors
We met the Architect who explained to us that they couldnt get Outline Planning for 0.6 so had to re submit for 1 acre and were succesful.
So We put our house up for sale and paid the deposit for the site, and set about getting the house of our dreams in planning. In January we submitted the plans.
We agreed a sale for our own house and moved out last Friday. The planning was due to be approved in a couple of weeks. We got a Timber Framed builder ready to go in May, Mobile Home bought for the
site (We are living freinds until the house starts)
Last Friday we signed the Contract for the site, which stated the site is 1 acre and maps the same, and paid 10%. So imagine our shock when we got a phone call Monday morning from the Estate agent accusing us of trying to steal land. The Vendors are now disputing the land size, our architect pulled the planning. We were offered the reduced site 0.6 with no Outline planning for same fee, but our solicitor as refused and wants the original sale land.
Can the Vendors and Estate agent do this????
Cheers Jigsey

jigseyCork said:
Last Friday we signed the Contract for the site, which stated the site is 1 acre and maps the same, and paid 10%.
Can the Vendors and Estate agent do this????

Did the vendors sign the contract? If so then they can't back out, but they can make it difficult for you. This happened me when I bought my house, took three months and high court proceedings to finally push the sale through. Your solicitor is best positioned to advise here, but they will always stree the possible negative outcomes, so you'll have to do a little readin between the lines to assess your chances.

Back