Build costs

jigseyCork

Building Costs

Where have bought a 1 Acre site in Cork. Our planning as just gone in, we have a budget to build 2780sq feet of around 220,000 is this price realistic?????

Before gets here, you might as well check out his (very informative) [broken link removed]...! ;)

OTTOMH, €220,000 for 2780 sq. ft. sounds a little bit on the low side to me, but much will depend on your plans/spec and whether you're prepared to sub-contract locally (and oversee it all) or want a builder to come in and handle the whole thing from start to finish.

Me, I'd pay someone to do it, simply because I wouldn't have the time/expertise/contacts/nerves to take on a genuine 'self-build'... :eek: How much of the above do you have on your hands, and how far away are you from the site?

Cheers

I can do all the 2nd fix Carpentry, we will be living on the site via mobile home.
We originally wanted a 4 bed with a games room and sun room hopefully around 2200 sq ft. But our Architect as had our plans since Oct, and his first set of drawing were a 5 bed 2990 sq ft it taken him til 1st Feb to get the house down to 5 bed 2780 sq ft.

We were told by him that the it could be built fot 70 per sq ft. Having submitted our Plans yesterday to a timber Frame builder, im thinking not a prayer.

This is our Finance breakdown

We have a seperate mortgage for site.
But after the sale of our house we have E334,500
out of this we need to build, furnish and by the wife a new car (Hyundai Tucson)

Thanks in advance

We have almost finished a 2100 sq.ft. bungalow. The cost is working out at approx. €73 per sq.ft. That's direct labour, and including fitted kitchen, wardrobes, sanitary ware and tiling.

Hi Berlin.... that sounds really good... perhaps you could share the breakout costs as a source of ref to many..as this type of query arises from time to time....details such as....

- costs of deadwork
- materials
- various skills
- experiences good or bad

ninsaga

Spoke to another a Block builder today, He says we wouldnt get much change from E 250,000. Which i suppose is'nt to bad

Hi Jigseycork,
You mentioned that you have got a mortgage on your site that you have not started building on yet. I also have to take a loan out for a site purchase but was told that
you could only get a mortgate on bricks and mortar. Instead i a was offered a businees
loan of approx 5.5% interest. Where did you source your mortgage from and at what interest rate?

Thanks.

Got Mortgage From EBS for 90% of site cost (155,000 inc Stamp Duty)
We got Fixed rate for 2 years at 3.3%, our first year payments will be about 660pm

The site had to have Outline or Full planning, we had Outline.

... was referring to any relevany excavation & the layout out of foundations.. (I thought that deadwork was what that was typically referred to...but could be wrong there to be honest :confused: )

Timber Frame Crowd got back to me on Friday

Shock E310,000

Self Build here I come

we will have to increase our budget a small bit :)

Conventional masonry build would be the cheapest option.
Are you going for UFH? If so try to have concrete floors on first floor.
Are you going with natural slate?
PVC or timber windows?

I'm sure that the Irish equivalent of the Royal Institue of Chartered Surveyors will, like the RICS, produce a book of schedules of rates for building work. Try googling for it, or check out your local library.

There is a book called SPONS which gives costs for various buildings works and regional variances. For small works it should not be taken as gospel as labour costs will be more expensive. Im not sure where you can get this book, im sure mr google will find it

Due to Rural planning restrictions we have to use
PVC Brown windows etc
Slate roof.

I think due to costs we may use Rads instead of UFH

Am i wrong in thinking that SPON'S prices are based on english construction costs and might not be that reliable from an irish viewpoint?

And i suppose i should add that the prices should be treated as guide only, they can be huge variances in quotes from individual contractors

jigsey C UFH might not be as expensive as you think. I had a contractor fit to a 150 sq m downstairs and 120 sq m upstairs build. Came in at under 9K and included 2 manifolds and 2 pumps, 17 circuits with 13 zones and 13 stats.

A friend just built 3200sq ft for €220K but it was hard work and there are some things he would change now if he could but it can be done.

Back