Key Post Bitcoin is a clearly identifiable economic bubble

Why should the price of bitcoin go to zero, if the price of gold hasn't gone to zero over the millennia. Neither have any intrinsic value.
You can make very nice jewelry out of gold. Gold also has useful properties for coating certain medical components. I've heard its also widely used in electronics due to its conductive properties. Gold teeth, hell you can use one of those lovely bars as a door stop.
Bitcoin, eh, you can sell it to some other idiot is all I can think of

Bitcoin, eh, you can sell it to some other idiot is all I can think of
We're repeating a very old debate that's been flogged to death so lets not go beyond this. I'll just even this up and we can move on. BTC can be used for international settlement. It can be used for cross-border remittances, for payment in terms of goods and services, etc. You can't use gold for any of those purposes. As Fink put it, "the cost of transacting gold is absurd."...his second point being that Bitcoin is truly international and borderless unlike any other currency. It's also auditable via a public blockchain where auditing of gold reserves has been a very controversial thing to say the least.

Last edited:
I Googled "monetary premium" tagged with Wikipedia and Investopedia. No hits. Sure, there were crypto hits. Seems to me this is just another instance of "holy water" invented by the cult. Not really interested, though I will consider @DazedInPontoon's comprehensive post.

I Googled "monetary premium" tagged with Wikipedia and Investopedia. No hits.

Absolutely Duke. If it doesn't exist when tagged with "wikipedia" and "investopedia" then it most certainly doesn't exist - not even as an idea. The same with the "everything bubble". Don't dare google that without also including "wikipedia" and "investopedia".
Not really interested
Yeah, I kind of figured that out - given that you blanked the 8 or 10 requests to consider it - in line with the whole purpose of me posting it in the first place....but you do you Duke. I know you'd never want to even consider anything that might lead back to your central bank friends, reflecting on them negatively. Your inability to climb out of your foxhole on this subject makes absolutely no difference to whats going on in the world in any event. ;)

Last edited:
Predicating accurately the virality of a story is an impossible task.....in hindsight however you can with a high degree of certainty spot the zenith of a story/narrative/cultural meme and the peak for BTC was quite clearly 2021 (my Satoshi statue photos date from then & so does the ATH price).

Humans like stories......but we are also novelty seeking......so what we really like are new stories......BTC is now an old tired story....and its becoming more wearisome with each telling.

View attachment 7666
I presume that's you (not the guy with the gold face)

I tried to read that stuff with an open mind and blank out the ridiculous conclusion.
I looked at what he said about the S&P 500. An investment in it since 1971 would yield an astonishing 200/1 return. Inflation was 30/1 in the period. Ergo a monetary premium. Wrong! The 200/1 was with reinvested income. Without that the actual value of the companies increased 45/1. I am surprised there wasn't more "real" growth given that the period witnessed the Internet and a technological revolution.
But let's not let facts in the way of a propagandist polemic.

Last edited:
I tried to read that stuff with an open mind and blank out the ridiculous conclusion.
I looked at what he said about the S&P 500. An investment in it since 1071 would yield an astonishing 200/1 return. Inflation was 30/1 in the period. Ergo a monetary premium. Wrong! The 200/1 was with reinvested income. Without that the actual value of the companies increased 45/1. I am surprised there wasn't more "real" growth given that the period witnessed the Internet and a technological revolution.
But let's not let facts in the way of a propagandist polemic.
1071 or 1971 ?

Ok but you asked earlier what progress since 2021 - when all hell has broken loose, in addition to what was already going to be a classic hype cycle crash for bitcoin. To get into those trillion dollar market cap ranges the bigger money will be necessary. That means a spot ETF for bitcoin in the US among other things. People tend to throw things out if they're not meeting the timeframe they have in mind but these things take time. Whatever way you look at it, there's a hell of a lot more going on re. bitcoin now than when these discussions started 5 years ago. Bear in mind also that we've also just witnessed the 55 year overnight success that has been AI.

Yes what progress has it made in adoption, just interested in what metric use to measure? You're saying it needs a Spot ETF amongst other things to get into the trillion dollar market cap, that would indicate the progress thus far (100s of millions of users) hasn't got the adoption to where it needs to be?

I don't believe a spot ETF will be a turning point, it certainly won't bring in the big money. ETFs are retail products mostly, if anything it will just pull retail US investors from the Crypto exchanges to TradFI platforms. This arguably will lessen btc/blockchain adoption because users won't have to interact with the underlying technology (private keys, digital wallets etc).

Big money has never had more access to the market than it does right now, but they aren't jumping in i.e. EDX Markets.

As you mentioned AI, it is possible for a new technology to be rapidly adopted, so we can't always hide behind 'these things take time'

We're repeating a very old debate that's been flogged to death so lets not go beyond this. I'll just even this up and we can move on. BTC can be used for international settlement. It can be used for cross-border remittances, for payment in terms of goods and services, etc. You can't use gold for any of those purposes. As Fink put it, "the cost of transacting gold is absurd."...his second point being that Bitcoin is truly international and borderless unlike any other currency. It's also auditable via a public blockchain where auditing of gold reserves has been a very controversial thing to say the least.
It may be an old debate, but I don't think we have the same understanding of intrinsic value. The advantages you mention for Bitcoin can be debated, but none of those are a form of intrinsic value.

You said this before and it's discussed in this thread

I did say this before, nearly 5 years ago. I cannot think what to add.

Yes what progress has it made in adoption, just interested in what metric use to measure? You're saying it needs a Spot ETF amongst other things to get into the trillion dollar market cap, that would indicate the progress thus far (100s of millions of users) hasn't got the adoption to where it needs to be?

Good question. Such metrics are imperfect. If we go back to the start of this debate until now, then the entire market is bigger, the market cap is much bigger (even if it doesn't go up in a straight line due to hype cycles). I'd have to dig out the data but I believe that there are 100 million BTC wallets out there now. From what I recall, there's been a greater distribution of BTC towards regular Joe's in terms of amount of BTC held.

In recent days, I believe we also hit a new ATH in terms of the number of mature bitcoin holders holding BTC over the longer term.

I don't believe it's any one thing. I believe that the ETF can help to broaden the market - and that will be better in terms of reducing volatility. It won't be any cake walk however, as Wall Street will test the asset and try and manipulate it - as they've done successfully with gold. While I don't think Fink & Co. have BTCs best interests at heart, that doesn't mean they can't inadvertently help its progression also.

That's only one item. There are any amount of items that can assist in making further in-roads. From a personal perspective, I want to be able to use the asset as and when I want - for whatever I want. To take it to that point, its network effect needs to continue to grow and with greater network effect comes greater utility.

You said you worked in crypto. I think it would be useful if you let us know your thoughts. Are you pro-decentralized crypto or against, while skeptical or against BTC...or do you not work with properly decentralized projects at all? That would be a useful insight to provide.

I don't believe a spot ETF will be a turning point, it certainly won't bring in the big money. ETFs are retail products mostly, if anything it will just pull retail US investors from the Crypto exchanges to TradFI platforms. This arguably will lessen btc/blockchain adoption because users won't have to interact with the underlying technology (private keys, digital wallets etc).

Big money has never had more access to the market than it does right now, but they aren't jumping in i.e. EDX Markets.
Continues to be hampered by a lack of clarity re. regulation. That said, there are more corporations and funds holding BTC than there were when discussion here started - but it's just a drop in the ocean still. I'm open to correction but a quick google is pointing to around 50 - 60% institutional investor level in ETFs.

As you mentioned AI, it is possible for a new technology to be rapidly adopted, so we can't always hide behind 'these things take time'
I guess the point I made was lost on you. It's the 55 year old overnight success story.

It may be an old debate, but I don't think we have the same understanding of intrinsic value. The advantages you mention for Bitcoin can be debated, but none of those are a form of intrinsic value.
We probably don't. :) Ok, fair enough, it looks like we're going to cover this ground a ? time? So intrinsic value - is there such a thing without an evaluator? If covid had wiped us all out and there were no humans here would gold have intrinsic value? My answer to that is no.

In addition to the 'values' I mentioned the asset has, its finite - one of the most finite assets around. If you want to pick away at those 'values' or uses, then have at it if you think that's a good investment of time. But to give you a flavor of how I'll be pushing back, jewelry as a 'intrinsic value' for gold - its one of a number of metals/commodities that could be used for that purpose. And taking that further, I'd wager that its not really such a big deal - its more an extension of its established store of value use case. You can't tell me gold is far superior than anything else relative to that 'intrinsic value' or use case.

Last edited:
Good question. Such metrics are imperfect. If we go back to the start of this debate until now, then the entire market is bigger, the market cap is much bigger (even if it doesn't go up in a straight line due to hype cycles). I'd have to dig out the data but I believe that there are 100 million BTC wallets out there now. From what I recall, there's been a greater distribution of BTC towards regular Joe's in terms of amount of BTC held.

In recent days, I believe we also hit a new ATH in terms of the number of mature bitcoin holders holding BTC over the longer term.

I don't believe it's any one thing. I believe that the ETF can help to broaden the market - and that will be better in terms of reducing volatility. It won't be any cake walk however, as Wall Street will test the asset and try and manipulate it - as they've done successfully with gold. While I don't think Fink & Co. have BTCs best interests at heart, that doesn't mean they can't inadvertently help its progression also.

That's only one item. There are any amount of items that can assist in making further in-roads. From a personal perspective, I want to be able to use the asset as and when I want - for whatever I want. To take it to that point, its network effect needs to continue to grow and with greater network effect comes greater utility.

You said you worked in crypto. I think it would be useful if you let us know your thoughts. Are you pro-decentralized crypto or against, while skeptical or against BTC...or do you not work with properly decentralized projects at all? That would be a useful insight to provide.

Continues to be hampered by a lack of clarity re. regulation. That said, there are more corporations and funds holding BTC than there were when discussion here started - but it's just a drop in the ocean still. I'm open to correction but a quick google is pointing to around 50 - 60% institutional investor level in ETFs.

I guess the point I made was lost on you. It's the 55 year old overnight success story.

We can only compare the data that we do have though for adoption. AI tools have shown that adoption can be rapid, maybe adoption will taper off after the hype cycle ends. But the short history of Bitcoin shouldn't be a limiting factor of its adoption.

100m wallets and that growth rate is the indicator of adoption more than an ETF. Yes maybe an etf will provide a price improvement but not adoption. Wall St already has as much access to crypto as it needs, an etf isn't a complete unlock to a new market.

yes I worked in crypto, indirectly for the best part of a decade and for a few years at an exchange.

In the end exchanges are offering an investment product and despite everything I saw I could never get passed it simply being an investment product right now.

100m wallets and that growth rate is the indicator of adoption more than an ETF. Yes maybe an etf will provide a price improvement but not adoption. Wall St already has as much access to crypto as it needs, an etf isn't a complete unlock to a new market.
In recent years an ETF has been presented by some as the holy grail. I don't see it that way. To me, it's a case of a 1,000 different things that can help to allow Bitcoin to seep into more general use. And to your point, price movement is price movement but less volatility could be something that results in another tranche of people thinking that this now works for me much better. So it can definitely have an indirect effect.

Here's another paper for the bould Duke. This one, published last year, was produced by three BlackRock boffins. When Smithers brings you the bowl of crunchie nut cornflakes and the Oirish Times this morning, put the Times down and have a read of this ->

https://deliverypdf.ssrn.com/delivery.php?ID=198103020022127074091109011077071122042048077048056085078022015029082026117121084105061019106057060060051027090096076065117018023021012013031110065123003112107071036008065111121013088101078020127076122068080099019123087086029091127111083026081066&EXT=pdf&INDEX=TRUE (LINK)

These guys suggest a minimum 3% BTC holding and an optimal holding of 9.5% for investors who already have a portfolio of equities and bonds. Careful, don't choke on the crunchie nuts. :cool:

Last edited:
In recent years an ETF has been presented by some as the holy grail. I don't see it that way. To me, it's a case of a 1,000 different things that can help to allow Bitcoin to seep into more general use. And to your point, price movement is price movement but less volatility could be something that results in another tranche of people thinking that this now works for me much better. So it can definitely have an indirect effect.

I wouldn't classify an ETF as general use, in my opinion Bitcoin wallets are one of the best indicators of adoption and use. An ETF is an investment product, which in my opinion takes BTC further away from its intended use as a global decentralised currency. As stated before I think an ETF will actually damage overall adoption, my hypothesis on this is as follows. Right now to access BTC the most common way is via a Crypto exchange, by default this exposes customers to the broader crypto environment (nfts, chains, private wallets etc), making it easier for users to transition and explore the crypto ecosystem. If a bitcoin ETF is available, users just have to log onto their fidelity account and click buy, they could be buying an ETF on anything, no need to open wallets, deal with private keys etc and no connection to the broader crypto ecosystem. I've likely done this at a cheaper cost than a crypto exchange that will pull users away from crypto exchanges further impacting adoption.

If we are just using a price target as an indication of adoption, I don't fully agree with that. You have to look at what is driving the increase, in this case an ETF in my opinion impacts the price on the basis of an investment product. I don't think BTC can be both an investment product and a currency at scale.

Will an ETF potentially have a positive impact on price? Yes, it had some short term benefit in the last few weeks during various announcements. Does that mean that adoption has increased? In my opinion no.

I do agree an ETF should theoretically help lessen volatility, but BTC has been relatively low vol for a while now. I'd also agree the ETF is not the holy grail, but given you listed it I thought I'd give my two cents.

I think it is blatantly clear that an ETF market will substantially impact crypto exchanges business models, they are already on the ropes during the crypto winter. Who is to say this isn't intended to be a final nail in the coffin of the legal battle 'security vs not a security'.

I also think in general this whole Web3 and multiple Layer2's has just over complicated the entire ecosystem. I struggle to keep up and think this overall impacts adoption rates.

Why should the price of bitcoin go to zero, if the price of gold hasn't gone to zero over the millennia. Neither have any intrinsic value.

Gold has been a reliable store of value for millennia due to its scarcity value and reputation. Bitcoin has a very cleverly constructed scarcity value and has a reputation among enough people to achieve and sustain significant valuations. I don't understand why that should disappear anymore than I understand why it arose.

As someone who shares neither tecate's corrosive cynicism about central banks, nor Duke's panglossian view, although I do see some merit in the idea they have done well over recent decades.

I like my investments to have some intrinsic value. Part ownership in a company, bricks and mortar sound about right.

Attachments

• 2023-07-26 10_41_24-Key Post - Bitcoin is a clearly identifiable economic bubble _ Page 44 _ A...jpg
    2023-07-26 10_41_24-Key Post - Bitcoin is a clearly identifiable economic bubble _ Page 44 _ A...jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 89
Back