Biased Media!

SFIRA

Kneecapping their way to a 32 country Marxist republic, of course !!

Re: SFIRA

Easyrules, It'd be great to see convicts out cleaning streets etc. After all they do owe a debt to society! But if this was to happens you'd have some do-gooders on whinging about civil rights etc. I heard a solicitor on the TV recently saying that there was a case for prisoners who work in the kitchens in jail getting paid minimum wage for their efforts. Unfortunately the law is a farce. Most of the time it protects the criminals! Sad to say but they should be treated differently to others!!

Easyrules, It'd be great to see convicts out cleaning streets etc. After all they do owe a debt to society! But if this was to happens you'd have some do-gooders on whinging about civil rights etc.
The last time this was discussed on AAM, the evidence from the US (particularly in relation to the mad Sherrif Joe who brought back chain gangs and fed his guard dogs better than he fed his prisoners) was that this approach resulted in increased reoffending rates. So it might give Redbhoy some personal satisfaction, but it wont reduce the level of crime in society.

Who was Mad Sheriff Joe?? Anyway if its done properly it could work! It wouldnt give me personal satisfaction but it might give the convicts the satisfaction of having repaid their debt to society in some way!!

QUOTE:"Anyway if its done properly it could work!"

In the same way capital punishment reduces murder rates? - NOT

Re: .

Anyway if its done properly it could work! It wouldnt give me personal satisfaction
Actually I accept that it would have no real impact on the convicts and would cost a fortune to police/guard and insure but I would derive a huge amount of satisfaction from seeing them pick up the crud on the M50!

Here's hoping you're never wrongly convicted purple and made to pick up the crud on the M50!

Here's hoping you're never wrongly convicted purple and made to pick up the crud on the M50!
Yes, I hope so as well!!
Just because I have intolerant tendencies doesn't mean I approve of them.

Interesting...

If you don't approve of your "intolerant tendencies", perhaps you might try to discover why you have them?

Perhaps some time in psychotherapy?

ghetto town

After reading the posts on this topic it is clearly evident that many many law abiding people, trying to go about their business have had unwanted contact with these scumbags. Marie, you are not alone, I've witnessed many many incidents on Dublin bus, bottles flying, spitting, racist abuse, herion taking, child abuse, on one journey on the 77 a mother of a young child was openly rolling a joint when her child knocked it out of her hand by moving her leg - that child got a slap in the face.
These scumbags who going around in groups with baseball caps and hoddies selling bikes, laptops and other stolen good are getting away with it wholesale. The cops are powerless unless the skangers are caught red-handed in the act, and even then there is every possibility that they'll get off after a quick visit to the local garda station to give name and address.
Last Sunday week, during the All Ireland hurling final a stolen car crashed right outside our window. It ploughed into the back of the neighbours (borrowed) car and continued for 15 meters before crashing into a metal fence. The offender, complete with hood up, jumped out and ran off into a block of flats. The guards arrived a few minutes later just to remove the car. That fella got away scot-free. If anyone had happened to be on the road they would have been seriously injured or killed such was the speed he was doing. Now God forgive me, but I can't help wishing that that joyrider should have been severly injured, it seems that is the only way he'd be kept off the streets.
Two weeks ago walking back from the shop in the early evening I happened to make eye contact with a scumbag; as soon as our eyes met he barked "Lookin' arree ya, I'll slit your throat". I don't want to and should not have to put up with that type of behaviour; and by reading the posts here they are not just isolated incidents. They are common place.
69D you'd bet a medal in my book, purple - very witty post, you should've got them with the car door!

it's the battle between animal instinct and human reason that rages within us all... and I can't take myself seriously enough to waste the time of a psychotherapist.

"I've witnessed many many incidents on Dublin bus, bottles flying, spitting, racist abuse, herion taking, child abuse, on one journey on the 77 a mother of a young child was openly rolling a joint"

Jaysus, is it that bad in Dublin - what's goin' on there?

I live in Belfast and I can honestly say I've never seen that type of behaviour before on a Belfast bus.

state of things

Tom - I have seen devastating and heartbreaking situations on Dublin buses regularly; a young couple (little more than children themselves!) drunk and still drinking cider, with a toddler who got slapped, shouted at or shaken every time she moved or spoke; three teenage women "out of their heads" on something-or-other handing an infant a few weeks old from one to another as if it was a bag of apples rather than a living being, dropping cigarette-ash on the baby, holding it without supporting its head, which was lolling back; a couple with a small child openly discussing the "hit" they'd just had and rolling a joint which they passed to each other across the child. Immature young people, 11.00am, 3.00pm whenever. As I said before my main concern is what's being transmitted to the children through these experiences, through this parenting - and how a community can be sufficient of a community to rescue its more vulnerable members whilst refusing to itself become abused and vulnerable.

Re: state of things

Does anyone recall a simpsons episode where the kids were taken from Marge and Homer and given to Ned and Maud. Does this happen in Ireland?? Is there some kind of chilod welfare group that can take kids off unfit parents? Maybe make the parents to do some kind of parenting course's. Too many people these days get pregnant and expect the state to pay the way for them!

Re: state of things

Dont we have some child protection unit/ social workers who look into this?

I don't know what you're suggesting though...? Are you talking about implementing taking children off parents en masse? Very difficult to police and if you tried to enforce some sort of round-up of all the bad parents you'd probably have civil war on your hands. People just wouldn't stand for it.

The type of people you've been talking about (the real scumbag mentality) won't really benefit much from some sort of parenting course though...will they?

at risk children

Contraception has never been so widely available in Ireland as now, and in so many formats for both sexes, but yet our rate of single mothers and teenage pregnancies are 1 of Euopes highest.

Instead of handing out child benefit every month, why not give benefits to girls(and boys) in areas with high rates of teenage pregnancies ,who complete their education and who don't get pregnant. They could also be provided with contraception on a regular basis from their local GP.
I believe this would be a better use of state resources in the long run than the current situation, where every tom,dick and harriet startes getting a handout from the govt. as soon as they 'pop' a child regardless of their age/situation. Hopefully these people would then have children when they are in a position to be responsible for the child and provide it with a stable environment.

Veering

This discussion is getting dangerously close to coming to the conclusion that some people shouldn't be allowed have children. Why ? Because we don't like the way they get money from the state or the way they smoke in front of their children or whatever.

It's all very well to sit here on the high ground and comment on those people down there and the awful way they behave. Take those children away from them, they couldn't possibly know how to take care of them. Send them anywhere. How about an institution or a laundry, or a suitable couple who have money. Anything must be better than where they are now.

I don't ****ing think so.

Re: Veering

Children are the future and shouldn't be allowed deteriorate in the hands of unfit parents!! Something needs to be done about it!! What do you suggest Frau Braun??

Thugs

Rainyday, way back at the start of tyhis chat you said vigilantiism would fail because: "What you teach them is that the guy with the biggest stick/gang/gun wins out".

That comment seems to have been accepted as fact by some others.

I don't accept it at all!

These thugs thrive on the fear they create. They understand fear well enough already. If they had access to guns they'd use them...with or without vigilantiism.

What is the Garda force except State legalised vigilantiism?
That is the core concept of all law enforcement! Are you seriously suggesting therefore (to follow your argument through) that the State should back off the crims because they might get bigger guns?

Piggy...whatever SF choose to do it'll be a damn sight more effective than what FF has ever done.

As to knee cappings...I'm no spokesman for SF, just a supporter. But if a few knee cappings were in order to sort the problem out, FINE BY ME.

Back