Best Payroll Software for only one employee

He mentioned using a printout.
You are correct, the the bank cannot verify a printout.

The original idea of that Revenue Proof of Earnings system was an employee logged in to Revenue. Authorised a 3rd party to view their Earnings for a set period of time. This then generated a code/password which they gave the 3rd Party. 3rd Party could then log on to ROS via Screen or API and view the details directly from ROS. Somewhere along the line it turned in to just generate a signed PDF. I think the banks were contacted by Revenue, but were not interested in changing their procedures.

Before or after 2008?

I'll eat my hat if it is AAM policy to facilitate or condone fraud.
Celtic Tiger time. Where did I suggest anyone commit fraud. All I said is fake documents are easy to produce. Even pdf ones.

Just off the phone with the bank after uploading the simplepay and "the self generated" payslip. Advisor said to use the self generated ones in future. "As long as the number matches the bank transfer, it be grand".

It's more of a box ticking exercise - the income isn't being included in the 4x calculations.

Back in the day one of my siblings produced their own P60 to get a mortgage. And they weren't the only ones. The banks didn't care at that time if they were real or not. I bet I could generate a real looking fake payslip if I had to for a bank.
Revenue also provided blank P60s in PDF and MS Word for download. I think you could also print them from the old ROS Offline app.

Celtic Tiger time. Where did I suggest anyone commit fraud. All I said is fake documents are easy to produce. Even pdf ones.
If someone were to say here or anywhere "I bet I could generate real looking fake invoices if I had to, to cut my tax bills" that in my book would count as condoning or facilitating tax fraud.

Likewise with your (well meaning) observation that you could generate real looking fake payslips to commit mortgage fraud.

Basically the message is that a person does not need to make use of the services of a fee charging professional to apply for their mortgage.

They can get verified data directly from revenue free of cost.
This data is accepted by banks and mortgage companies.

If someone were to say here or anywhere "I bet I could generate real looking fake invoices if I had to, to cut my tax bills" that in my book would count as condoning or facilitating tax fraud.

Likewise with your (well meaning) observation that you could generate real looking fake payslips to commit mortgage fraud.
One could equally take the view that I'm pointing out something that goes on and banks should be aware of it. I've also pointed out banks were pretty happy at one time to take fake docs at face value. The OP is creating a real payslip, and I don't see why if it's computer generated, or revenue stamped, it's any different to getting out a piece of A4 paper and writing payslip on it. It's still real.

You remind of the time I was buying a letter box lid for a broken one, about 20 pounds, I went to the shop and bought it. Then I asked for a receipt. The girl told me the computer wasn't working and so she couldn't get me one. I told her to just write it down on a pierce of paper the date, item and sign it, which would be fine for my records for revenue and she refused to do it.

Basically the message is that a person does not need to make use of the services of a fee charging professional to apply for their mortgage.

They can get verified data directly from revenue free of cost.
This data is accepted by banks and mortgage companies.
Another cost saving tip from AAM. My bank used to ask me for an annual update, for a property loan, they accepted an email from me. Just stating we were earning x and were tax compliant. They didn't even ask for the tax compliant certs.

I wasn't aware you could generate such things from revenue. Good to know. But I have generated things like LPT or NPPR certs etc.

One could equally take the view that I'm pointing out something that goes on and banks should be aware of it. I've also pointed out banks were pretty happy at one time to take fake docs at face value.
Up to a few decades ago, the banks gladly accepted lodgements of large cash sums in the full knowledge that those sums represented either the proceeds of crime or of legitimate earnings on which taxes had been evaded. That historic fact doesn't alter the reality that it's no longer possible for them to do so.
The OP is creating a real payslip, and I don't see why if it's computer generated, or revenue stamped, it's any different to getting out a piece of A4 paper and writing payslip on it. It's still real.
As noted above, the evidential value of uncorroborated self-created documents is close to nil. If banks are placing reliance on such documents in mortgage applications, it's only a matter a time until once again the chickens once again come home to roost.
You remind of the time I was buying a letter box lid for a broken one, about 20 pounds, I went to the shop and bought it. Then I asked for a receipt. The girl told me the computer wasn't working and so she couldn't get me one. I told her to just write it down on a pierce of paper the date, item and sign it, which would be fine for my records for revenue and she refused to do it.
You'll do well these days to obtain such a handwritten receipt in any retail chain store.

Last edited:
You'll do well these days to obtain such a handwritten receipt in any retail chain store.
Once worked in Quinnsworth at Christmas and the computers failed. With queues and queues of people with their trollies full of Christmas day groceries. They had a back up plan. All the customers had to 'guess' their cost and that's what we took. Not sure if I gave receipts thought. I got a top department store here to write on one of my receipts the extended return date, last Christmas too as it happens, because their policy was 7 days but they had an exemption for items purchased in the run up to xmas was longer the sales girl told me, but it wasn't written on the receipt and we were going away. So I wanted it in writing.

My in store grocery order at the click/delivery place had damaged yogurt and the guy at the desk (no cash) had no way to deduct the cost from the online generated bill. He couldn't even generate a computer refund. It's amazing what computers cannot do. The procedure was I had to go online and complain. A deliberate policy to make customers lives hell.

Back