Best Payroll Software for only one employee

As it turns out payroll software was a lot less than I first thought, only €50 per year for simplepay for example.

But regardless, using revenue online and generating the payslip myself is a better solution for what I need. I just wasn't sure if / how payslips were generated and unfortunately was given incorrect information at the start.
Surely generating payslips yourself isn’t worth the risk if you need them for mortgage and pension purposes? Like, it’s €50…

Surely generating payslips yourself isn’t worth the risk if you need them for mortgage and pension purposes? Like, it’s €50…
The ones I can generate myself look better than the simple pay ones

Anyone going around in circles on this, I've wasted more time getting simplepay set up with ROS than it would have taken to just do it directly with ROS but sure at least I know for sure now.

Ah okay, I think that's just a case of crossed wires.

JPD was saying payslips aren't an issue can easily be generated on excel and there's no issue with using the ROS dashboard manually as long as I'm confident in the calculations. This is backed up by your other comments "A word or excel payslip is merely a back of the envelope calculation"

So stating "No you can't" was incorrect.
I beg to differ.

A self-produced document purporting to confirm your own pay and tax details for a given period is not a payslip and has an evidential value of close to nil - particularly if it is..
Required by my bank for my mortgage and my pension provider.

Okay - anyway I've got the answers I need.

But I would like to know what defines a payslip then? If the one generated by SimplePay is a payslip, I don't see the difference between that and one I can generated from the ROS details which includes far more information and is completely accurate.

There may be errors on a DIY payslip that you may not notice.

Lenders have people who look at payslips all day long and are trained to spot irregularities.

Is it worth the hassle of a hiccup on a mortgage application?

Is it not acceptable to provide the mortgage company with a print out of all employment details from ROS ?

There is an actual facility on myaccont and ROS to provide this record.

This would be fully accurate and is provided directly from Revenue.Screenshot_2024-07-17-23-54-35-894.jpeg

Last edited:

Anyone going around in circles on this, I've wasted more time getting simplepay set up with ROS than it would have taken to just do it directly with ROS but sure at least I know for sure now.
Ah sure give it a go then, I’m sure it’ll be alright on the night. Mortgage applications are neither complex nor a big deal so I’m sure you’ll sleep fine if trying to save €50 impacts on your ability to borrow.

Is it not acceptable to provide the mortgage company with a print out of all employment details from ROS ?

There is an actual facility on myaccont and ROS to provide this record.

This would be fully accurate and is provided directly from Revenue.
How would you suggest the mortgage company could verify such a printout as being a true and unedited copy of the original?

The OP has not started what they want to achieve, only what they want to do. There may be better ways of achieving their end goal.

Basically just need to draw a nominal salary in order to set up a pension. It's not massive money being moved but well worth continuing the company.

Yesterday was more a waste of my time setting up simple pay when the ROS system would have been much quicker to use directly.

I'll ring the bank in a bit to confirm what they require for the payslip - pension provider confirmed the self generated one I provided to them would suffice. It's generated from the ROS payroll summary, exported as JSON so it's accurate.

How would you suggest the mortgage company could verify such a printout as being a true and unedited copy of the original?
You can say that about all documents provided to the mortgage company?!

You can say that about all documents provided to the mortgage company?!
Hardly. If I produce a letter confirming a source of income for a mortgage applicant, I can expect a call at some stage from the prospective mortgage provider seeking to verify that I did indeed author the letter.

Revenue don't entertain queries from third parties in relation to taxpayers.

Well any documents I provided I just uploaded - could have easily edited them myself before sending them on it would have been trivial to do.

Obviously I didn't, but easily could have. Editing a PDF ain't exactly rocket science, could easily clean up the meta data too but I doubt these mortgage advisors are looking at that.

100%

Lenders never ever consider the risk of a forged payslip.
Well I know for a fact one of the banks online document uploading system strips the meta data before saving the files ...

Anyway this is going around, will chat to the bank in a bit and see. The concept that a simplepay payslip somehow is more genuine than one from the ROS output is strange to me, both are "self generateed" as I did the payroll myself..

Hardly. If I produce a letter confirming a source of income for a mortgage applicant, I can expect a call at some stage from the prospective mortgage provider seeking to verify that I did indeed author the letter.

Revenue don't entertain queries from third parties in relation to taxpayers.

Back in the day and employee would be asked to provide a salary declaration form signed by their employer and a copy of a P60 so said figures could be cross referenced. I'm sure similar requirements remain in place now.

A PAYE employee would also be the most straightforward of applications. Anyone with a company, partnership, sole trader, self employed etc. Would have a far greater volume of stuff to furnish a lender with.

Back in the day and employee would be asked to provide a salary declaration form signed by their employer and a copy of a P60 so said figures could be cross referenced. I'm sure similar requirements remain in place now.

A PAYE employee would also be the most straightforward of applications. Anyone with a company, partnership, sole trader, self employed etc. Would have a far greater volume of stuff to furnish a lender with.
Back in the day one of my siblings produced their own P60 to get a mortgage. And they weren't the only ones. The banks didn't care at that time if they were real or not. I bet I could generate a real looking fake payslip if I had to for a bank.

Back