Best Payroll Software for only one employee

user180224

I'm looking to extract money from a business tax efficiently and will set up a directors pension. For this, I need to start drawing a salary.

Since I'm only paying myself a small amount I can't justify some of the payroll software costs. Is it possible to get away with just using the report payroll feature on ROS - Will it generate a payslip?

Or should I go and pay for payroll software, and if so, which is the cheapest?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can create a payslip using Word or Excel

The real problem is calculating the income tax, PRSI and USC

This isn't particularly difficult but if you haven't the expertise, then sign up to a payroll package

You can create a payslip using Word or Excel

The real problem is calculating the income tax, PRSI and USC

This isn't particularly difficult but if you haven't the expertise, then sign up to a payroll package
No you can't.

PAYE Modernisation is here since 1 January 2019 and mandates real-time connection to Revenue every time a payroll run is made.

You do not have to use a real-time entry to Revenue

You can login to your Revenue account and enter the payroll details manually - I know this, because the club, of which I am a member, does this every month for our one employee

I'm looking to extract money from a business tax efficiently and will set up a directors pension. For this, I need to start drawing a salary.

Since I'm only paying myself a small amount I can't justify some of the payroll software costs. Is it possible to get away with just using the report payroll feature on ROS - Will it generate a payslip?

Or should I go and pay for payroll software, and if so, which is the cheapest?
If it's not worthwhile for you to pay €200 a year for a payroll package, you should seriously question why you have a company in the first instance.

If it's not worthwhile for you to pay €200 a year for a payroll package, you should seriously question why you have a company in the first instance.

When did I say that? I just asked a simple question, the form is very quick on ROS to fill out and if it generated payslips it would be perfect for my needs.

Some of the answer here are borderline hostile at times. I'm going to keep costs down all the time for my company, yes I can afford the €200 per year (though based on other advise I have gotten thats very expensive for what I need). The payroll form on ROS is less than 5 minutes to fill out..

Some of the answer here are borderline hostile at times.

I think that Askaboutmoney posters are direct and don't mince words. But I don't think that it comes close to the border of hostility.

Sometimes someone asks a question, but there is a much more fundamental question to be answered. And Tommy, quite reasonably, asked you to ask yourself why you have a company in the first place.

Brendan

Okay - I'm just not really sure the relevance of why I have a company is to the question.

The reason is to make me money. If I can get away with filling out a 5 minute form on ROS instead of paying for €200 software, obviously that's a no brainer.

A "direct" answer would be ROS doesn't generate payslips so I'd recommend you have a look at simplepay.ie which is €4 per month or BrightPay that offers 12 months free but is windows only. (there are a good few others I've been recommended elsewhere but they seem to be the two I've been told by multiple people)

No you can't.

PAYE Modernisation is here since 1 January 2019 and mandates real-time connection to Revenue every time a payroll run is made.
Is this not just incorrect? Using the ROS gui isn't scalable but does seem to be used a lot, especially for similar to my situation

Is this not just incorrect? Using the ROS gui isn't scalable but does seem to be used a lot, especially for similar to my situation
Input onto ROS constitutes real-time connection to Revenue.

A word or excel payslip is merely a back of the envelope calculation.

You will get a detailed description page everytime an on line payment form is submitted on ROS. This appears in the manage your tax area for the current year.
All income tax, USC and Prsi details are included on the page. This might suffice as a payslip.

Input onto ROS constitutes real-time connection to Revenue.

A word or excel payslip is merely a back of the envelope calculation.
Ah okay, I think that's just a case of crossed wires.

JPD was saying payslips aren't an issue can easily be generated on excel and there's no issue with using the ROS dashboard manually as long as I'm confident in the calculations. This is backed up by your other comments "A word or excel payslip is merely a back of the envelope calculation"

So stating "No you can't" was incorrect.

Why do you want a payslip?
Required by my bank for my mortgage and my pension provider.

In the end I signed up to the free trial with simplepay but will likely just use the ROS form directly myself it's very quick and simple.

Last edited:
In simple terms:
You can enter the required payroll data into ROS manually each time you pay yourself. This is Revenue's legal requirement.
There are over 50 fields, but you don't need to enter most of them.
ROS will produce a Payslip of sorts, which gives Gross Pay and all the taxes etc. ROS does not hold or show Net Pay.
Now the most important part. ROS does none of the Calculations for payroll, you need to do this yourself to get the values to key in.

You're going to produce an excel page of a payslip to the bank ?
Well will be a pdf exported from excel, found a template which is very similar to the paye payslips I get each month and actually looks more "official" that the payslips generated from simplepay.

In simple terms:
You can enter the required payroll data into ROS manually each time you pay yourself. This is Revenue's legal requirement.
There are over 50 fields, but you don't need to enter most of them.
ROS will produce a Payslip of sorts, which gives Gross Pay and all the taxes etc. ROS does not hold or show Net Pay.
Now the most important part. ROS does none of the Calculations for payroll, you need to do this yourself to get the values to key in.
As it turns out payroll software was a lot less than I first thought, only €50 per year for simplepay for example.

But regardless, using revenue online and generating the payslip myself is a better solution for what I need. I just wasn't sure if / how payslips were generated and unfortunately was given incorrect information at the start.

Back