Best car for first time/learner driver

pammiedd

Hi

I plan to learn to drive in the new year and am wondering what's the best small car to learn in.

pammiedd

My first car was a Nissan Micra. It was about 8 years old when I bought it. A great little run around and never gave one moment of trouble.

Hi, what you want to buy is a car for less than 1000 euro.You can happily knock it off curbs or walls without being too worried about the cost.After you pass your test you'll probably want to but a 'better' car anyway so you shouldn't spend more than this amount.A good value reliable car lke a punto springs to mind.When you want to sell it on you could recover most if not all the money you bought it for.

Have to say the Clio is a great car, need a bigger car at the minute but would definitely buy another Clio if this wasn't the case !

Have to agree on the Clio
Small cheap to run, much better specced than a lot of similar size.
Tend to be very cheap to buy as well should be plenty out there so don't rush into buying first one.

Get someone with a notion of cars to help you look around.

I would say look for power steering at least.

Did Renault not come last on the BBC Top Gear survey ? Humm.... it would rather go for a japaneese.
So i will agree with selection given by RS2K

I found a Hummer quite good for learning how to drive.. You can go up the kerb and through walls without even noticing it..:)

and here's another tip for Learners, trim off the white "bits" around the red "L"s on your L plates to improve your visibility...........

Carpenter said:
and here's another tip for Learners, trim off the white "bits" around the red "L"s on your L plates to improve your visibility...........
I dont think you can do that. Well at least for the test itself the L plate needs to be on a white background.
"‘L’ plates front and rear (a rectangular plate or sign bearing the letter ‘L’ not less than fifteen centimetres high in red on a white ground and a border of at least 2 centimetres"

loughquinn said:
I dont think you can do that. Well at least for the test itself the L plate needs to be on a white background.
"‘L’ plates front and rear (a rectangular plate or sign bearing the letter ‘L’ not less than fifteen centimetres high in red on a white ground and a border of at least 2 centimetres"

I think if you refer to Bachus's previous post you'll see that mine was entirely in jest!;) I think this thread should now be moved to "The Craic", made me laugh anyway:D

My first car was a Ford KA. Though I wouldn't recommend it as a learner driver car. It has a 1300cc engine and a very light weight body. Good fun though if you're heavy on the pedal.

Hi

Thanks for all the advice, I'm hoping santa will leave a nice little runaround under the tree for me this year!

Pammiedd

pammiedd said:
Hi

I plan to learn to drive in the new year and am wondering what's the best small car to learn in.

pammiedd

If you're an absolute beginner, how about buying driving lessons instead of a car? Maybe people will think I'm crazy but I think it makes reasonable financial sense.

Let's say that any sort of roadworthy small car is going to cost about e1,000. I recall from last week's Irish Times that driving lessons are c.35 euro an hour, so that buys you 28 lessons, (more if you can negotiation a rate with the school)

With that much practice, you should pass the test no problem first time. Your insurance will be lower once you have your full licence- depending on your age you might even recoup the 1,000 you spent on lessons!

Pros:
+ You get to learn from an experienced instructor
+ Less chance of picking up bad driving habits
+ You get to learn in a new/nearly new car
+ No running costs- insurance, tax, petrol, servicing, AA etc.

Cons:
- (admittedly a big one!) You don't have a car available 24/7 and the associated freedom that it affords.

Only a suggestion- feel free to disagree:)

hi i learnt to drive during the summer i bought a ford ka which was quite nippy 1.3, i had 7driving lessons 30e each 3 of which were in my own car at the end. i have now changed the car as it was to small i bought a peugeot 307 and i taut it would take me ages to get used of it the size difference, was fine after a while. im going to apply for my full licience soon. i would say defintely buy the car at least then u can practice in between lessons. and another tip dont ask someone to teach you, get an instructor theyve much more patience and i think you will learn quicker. hth

I learned to drive in a late 1979 "slab" Granada, a tractor (off road), and a Renualt 4 van (sometimes on the road and other times not).

All my friends had a good laugh when my boyfriend was giving me a few lessons around industrial estate at the weekends in his toyota celica. I learned the basics before i started my lessons rather than wasting the first few lessons only getting used to the gears etc.

When i did my first lesson with the instructor i got in and drove from my house which she said as people would be nervous thinking neighbours would be looking. He used to tell me to stop at the lamp post so i could imagine they where lights.

If someone could show you the basics in an industrial estate at least you would feel a bit more confident going out on the road.

Back