Are Businesses Playing at Smoke and Mirrors re Covid precautions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although in Ireland, a non-national is a person who is not from Ireland, though they may have Irish citizenship.

Even if we believe the term was used in that context, unless they knew or asked these people where their place of birth was, it was an assumption based solely on their appearance or the colour of their skin.

In this context is was, "All the Irish were wearing masks, the problem is the immigrants".

No, that was not implied. I read something different. Foreign tourists perhaps?

If there is a problem with some non Irish people not wearing masks for whatever reason then why not say it?

I think Brendan, like most people, understands the difference between humour and racism.

Just as I think that most people reading the OP's comments would understand what he was talking about.

In this context is was, "All the Irish were wearing masks, the problem is the immigrants".
Not at all. Isle of Man never used the word immigrant or even implied it.

This is the definition of an immigrant.

"a person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country.".

Isle Of Man would not have known that the two people in the shop were people who had come to live in the country permanently. He would have known, possibly by their language that they were not fellow country men but rather a person coming from some other country.

The racist remark should be withdrawn.

How do you accurately determine the nationality of everyone you see in a supermarket without making assumptions based on how they look?

Perhaps the OP could based on his/her on the ground experience at that time. I didn't read anything racist into the OP's posting either.

Surely the OP could have arrived at an informed opinion based on lots of indicators?

I think we are beginning to jump on the racist card too readily these days. I think the OP was genuine in their concern re. the virus and that he/she was reporting what he/she had seen without being termed a racist.

Surely the OP could have arrived at an informed opinion based on lots of indicators?

I'm just curious as to what those indicators are? I work with lots of Irish citizens who neither look nor sound anything like any Irish stereotype.

How do you accurately determine the nationality of everyone you see in a supermarket without making assumptions based on how they look?

Here is a post from Sunny on another thread.

Direct Provision facilities and Food Processing all saw outbreaks in other countries and they are linked so it shouldn't have come as a shock. Now we have them expressing concern at the outbreak and teams are being put in place. Same with the Roma and Traveller communities. These were high risk from day one. We recently had a visit from a convoy of Travellers with English reg vehicles into our small town. The matter was raised with local politicians and they all ran a mile from the issue. Easier to condemn a flight from the US I suppose......

How do you spot a Roma or that a person is a Traveller from their car reg? How do you spot a foreigner in a supermarket?

Isle of Man started this thread. It looked promising but instead was almost immediately shut down by certain people immediately jumping on the racist bandwagon. It wasn't a racist post, it was an observation. Lots of threads on AAM die at death because people (usually the same individuals) won't let the thread breathe.

At times it seems that there is a hierarchy of posters on AAM.

Here is a post from Sunny on another thread.

How do you spot a Roma or that a person is a Traveller from their car reg? How do you spot a foreigner in a supermarket?

Isle of Man started this thread. It looked promising but instead was almost immediately shut down by certain people immediately jumping on the racist bandwagon. It wasn't a racist post, it was an observation. Lots of threads on AAM die at death because people (usually the same individuals) won't let the thread breathe.

At times it seems that there is a hierarchy of posters on AAM.

Eh?????? I mentioned the reg to show they were English vehicles and so more than likely had come from England. Not that I identified them as travellers through their reg. I think it is possible to spot an illegal traveller site without being accused of racist profiling

As for the Roma, where did I mention anything about 'identifying' or 'spotting' Roma?? I mentioned them because they are a high risk section of society as identified by NPHET because of the living conditions and arrangements.

Maybe next time you decide to use a quote of mine to suggest some underlying racism, don't.

I haven't had a pint in Kehoes for months. If the cost of me getting back on that barstool is a few thousand dead old people then so be it!

Post by Purple without emoji.

I haven't had a pint in Kehoes for months. If the cost of me getting back on that barstool is a few thousand dead old people then so be it! ;)

Post by Purple with emoji.

Thankfully 95% of customers were wearing masks except for two who were non nationals.

Post by Isle of Man without emoji.

Thankfully 95% of customers were wearing masks except for two who were non nationals.;)

Post by Isle of Man with emoji.

It seems that by tagging an emoji on to the end of your comment you can get away with posting the comment. The point is still made though.
By not tagging an emoji on to the end of your comment your post can be called a racist post.

Sunny says "We recently had a visit from a convoy of Travellers with English reg vehicles into our small town." How did you know they were travellers?

Just as the OP in this thread was able to identify non Irish people in a supermarket (and called out as a racist post for saying this).

I think you're missing the point there completely. Concerns were raised about those in direct provision due to their cramped living conditions putting them at higher risk of contracting COVID-19. Likewise the representative organisation for Roma & traveller communities also identified themselves at higher risk due to the larger family groups and high density their communities tend towards. Sunny didn't spot someone at a distance and make any asusmption there.

Sunny says "We recently had a visit from a convoy of Travellers with English reg vehicles into our small town." How did you know they were travellers?

Just as the OP in this thread was able to identify non Irish people in a supermarket (and called out as a racist post for saying this).

Oh for God's sake. Lets see. A convoy of carvavans and vehicles take over a private piece of land on the side of a main road leading into a village and make it very clear they are settling in for awhile. They are not the local caravan club. There are travellers who actually travel and set up camps. It's not racist to identify those camps. I didn't spot people walking down the street or in the shop and say look 'there goes the travellers'...….

How was the OP able to identify them as non Irish?
My friend is married to an Irish citizen of African descent who was born and grew up in England. Their children are dark skinned and, due to their mothers accent, speak with a slight English accent. They were born in Ireland though. Their mother is also Irish by virtue of her citizenship. If they were not wearing a mask in a shop would they be classified as non-Nationals?
The other issue is what has the ethnicity of the people in the shop got to do with the fact that they weren't wearing masks? If the OP wasn't making assumptions about a link between their ethnicity and the fact that they weren't wearing masks then why bring it up?

It seems that by tagging an emoji on to the end of your comment you can get away with posting the comment. The point is still made though.
By not tagging an emoji on to the end of your comment your post can be called a racist post.
I suggest that you don't read "A Modest proposal" by Jonathan Swift. You will find his suggestion that the poor eat their babies deeply disturbing. I suggest that you instead get someone who understands humour to read it for you, and then explain it to you.

I am in no way comparing myself to Swift, just pointing out the dangers of taking everything literally.

Oh for God's sake. Lets see. A convoy of carvavans and vehicles take over a private piece of land on the side of a main road leading into a village and make it very clear they are settling in for awhile. They are not the local caravan club. There are travellers who actually travel and set up camps. It's not racist to identify those camps. I didn't spot people walking down the street or in the shop and say look 'there goes the travellers'...….
Agreed, but this is not what you said in your original post. You never said anything about them taking over a piece of private land or that they were setting up a camp or that they were not members of the local caravan club.

You have now added context.

This is what you said in your original post.

"We recently had a visit from a convoy of Travellers with English reg vehicles into our small town. The matter was raised with local politicians and they all ran a mile from the issue. Easier to condemn a flight from the US I suppose......" (This is one line taken out of your larger post).

You have made two further posts since you made the original post. You have now added more information.

When the Op of this thread posted one line/paragraph among six paragraphs his post was immediately jumped on by Purple and losttheplot. Even the owner of the site called it a racist post.

I am just pointing out, that we can all post a line of post in among a number of lines of post, it might not read as intended. Just as your post did not read as intended until you added more facts in subsequent posts.

We can all pick at others posts. There is a bit too much of this going on on this site. I have witnessed it over the years. I agree that interesting threads can die a death because others judge too quickly.

Maybe he overhead them speaking?
Doesn't mean they are not Irish. Once they are Irish citizens they are Irish. One in every 5.8 people in this country was born in a different country. The vast majority of them are Irish.
The question remains though; why was their ethnicity/nationality mentioned in the context of not wearing masks unless there was an implied connection between their ethnicity/nationality and them not wearing masks?

If four lads in yellow hi viz jackets walk in to a supermarket without masks next week I suppose we could make a complaint to the builder about them.

It appears if four foreigners walk in to a supermarket speaking in a foreign accent and not wearing masks we cannot say anything because it is seen to be racist?

It is easier to make a complaint about the builders or as Sunny said

" We recently had a visit from a convoy of Travellers with English reg vehicles into our small town. The matter was raised with local politicians and they all ran a mile from the issue. Easier to condemn a flight from the US I suppose......

Agreed, but this is not what you said in your original post. You never said anything about them taking over a piece of private land or that they were setting up a camp or that they were not members of the local caravan club.

You have now added context.

This is what you said in your original post.

"We recently had a visit from a convoy of Travellers with English reg vehicles into our small town. The matter was raised with local politicians and they all ran a mile from the issue. Easier to condemn a flight from the US I suppose......" (This is one line taken out of your larger post).

You have made two further posts since you made the original post. You have now added more information.

When the Op of this thread posted one line/paragraph among six paragraphs his post was immediately jumped on by Purple and losttheplot. Even the owner of the site called it a racist post.

I am just pointing out, that we can all post a line of post in among a number of lines of post, it might not read as intended. Just as your post did not read as intended until you added more facts in subsequent posts.

We can all pick at others posts. There is a bit too much of this going on on this site. I have witnessed it over the years. I agree that interesting threads can die a death because others judge too quickly.

I didn't need to add context. At no point whatsoever did I mention identifying individuals or even groups of people as travellers based on their appearance. I said we had a convoy with English reg vehicles which I assumed people were smart enough to know that meant caravans but I obviously needed to point out that I didn't mean a convoy of traveller looking individuals with English reg plates.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back