Are Businesses Playing at Smoke and Mirrors re Covid precautions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IsleOfMan

I visited an Irish supermarket in Blackrock today. All the working floor staff were wearing Facemasks it was good to see. However all was not as it seemed.

There were a few maintenance staff working on the freezer section where there seemed to be a problem with one of the freezers. None of these were wearing masks.
There were deliveries being made by outside companies. Trolleys brought in and shelves being filled. These were not wearing masks.

A staff member who was working in the delicatessen area was wearing a mask but the mask was not covering his nose. He was coming back and forth from the back room bringing foodstuffs out. I got the impression that he was working behind the scenes rather than serving the public. As he passed me by I suggested to him that his mask should be covering his nose (all other staff were wearing their masks properly). He passed a gruff dismissive remark toward me.

There was a young lady working on the door directing people to hand sanitisers, cleaned trollies etc. I noticed as we were leaving that she pulled down her mask. Wiped her nose with her fingers and then pulled up her mask again. She did not use the hand sanitiser after doing this.

Thankfully 95% of customers were wearing masks except for two who were non nationals.

I think that every supermarket should have a large sign on their front door asking customers to wear masks. In fact I believe that they should have it as a policy.

I was passing by the Leinster Rugby Team HQ today. There were about two dozen players all sitting outside after their training session. All sitting side by side with no social distancing. I am sure that these are checked on a regular basis. They also are in close contact on the pitch, scrums etc. I am not sure what the guidelines are for players?
It just struck me as odd that you are recommended to wear a mask in a supermarket and bus but not outside sitting in a group. You also have to social distance when watching a match outdoors as a spectator.

I was passing by the Leinster Rugby Team HQ today. There were about two dozen players all sitting outside after their training session. All sitting side by side with no social distancing. I am sure that these are checked on a regular basis. They also are in close contact on the pitch, scrums etc. I am not sure what the guidelines are for players?
It just struck me as odd that you are recommended to wear a mask in a supermarket and bus but not outside sitting in a group. You also have to social distance when watching a match outdoors as a spectator.

They have been designated as a "bubble" and are tested (I think) twice a week - there was specific protocols agreed for the return of the various team sports

I put a bet on that Purple would pass a comment like this after my post. Bingo.

I think when you are posting from Ireland and you say non nationals, you are referring to non Irish Nationals.

Why is nationality relevant

When they are not wearing masks it is relevant. If Irish people are wearing masks and following recommendations then visitors/tourists to our country should also follow the recommendations.

There were a few maintenance staff working on the freezer section where there seemed to be a problem with one of the freezers. None of these were wearing masks.
There were deliveries being made by outside companies. Trolleys brought in and shelves being filled. These were not wearing masks.

Have some consideration for these guys, they kept the whole show on the road when everybody else was at home or cocooning. They are working together anyways and doing physically demanding jobs, its one thing to wear a mask sitting at a desk , its quite another to wear one when you are exerting yourself and trying to manipulate some awkward piece of a freezer.

You obviously didn't hear the doc on the wireless or on the intertube. Wearing a mask in no way compromises your airway nor does it reduce the volume of air being inhaled through your nose or exhaled through your mouth. Mask up, no excuses, no exceptions and no more stupid nonsense makey-up stories like the "manager" in Dunnes stores who told me he was exempted from wearing a mask due to his asthma and difficulty breathing. As I informed him, if a paper/cotton mask compromised his breathing to the extent that he felt uncomfortable or panicky while standing at rest inside a door observing, then the safest place for him was at home, away from the public.

Have some consideration for these guys, they kept the whole show on the road when everybody else was at home or cocooning. They are working together anyways and doing physically demanding jobs, its one thing to wear a mask sitting at a desk , its quite another to wear one when you are exerting yourself and trying to manipulate some awkward piece of a freezer.

I couldn't disagree with you more. These guys huffing and puffing, (builders on a building site, who can wear masks no problem). People trying to get around them to access the freezers that are working.
I had a large fridge freezer delivered to my home recently and the guy was able to wear a mask when struggling to bring the item in to my home.

If the supermarket floor staff wear masks then outside people working in the store should also wear them.

Smoke and mirrors with the spraying of trolley handles, hand sanitiser at doors, staff wearing masks then the manager allows maintenance men in to store without them wearing a mask.

Why is nationality relevant

I think it is relevant. Asians are very good at wearing masks. Irish not so good but improving. Some other Middle East countries not so good. I have seen evidence of this myself. Thankfully with the new law next week we will all have to comply.

They have been designated as a "bubble" and are tested (I think) twice a week - there was specific protocols agreed for the return of the various team sports
But if all the players return home to their wives, girlfriends, family and friends who are not being tested...….

You would wonder why a small pub in Hackballs Cross cannot have a bubble of regulars?

I put a bet on that Purple would pass a comment like this after my post. Bingo.

I think when you are posting from Ireland and you say non nationals, you are referring to non Irish Nationals.

When they are not wearing masks it is relevant. If Irish people are wearing masks and following recommendations then visitors/tourists to our country should also follow the recommendations.
How did you know they weren't Irish Nationals? Did you see their passports?

But if all the players return home to their wives, girlfriends, family and friends who are not being tested...….

You would wonder why a small pub in Hackballs Cross cannot have a bubble of regulars?

Irish Ruby Football Union
10/12 Lansdowne Road
Dublin 4

... if you want to send a letter to ask

Your post was clearly racist.
I didn't think the post was racist. The OP was simply stating something that he observed.

We have as a nation been happy to quarantine other nations/non Irish Nationals when they visit us on holiday. In the media we hear about Covid clusters in the Roma Community, Brazilian meat packers, Travelling Community, Direct Provision.

These people have been given titles to identify them rather than just call them people.

It is natural to identify people by their looks and accents and speech. We do it all the time.

There is nothing wrong in someone being called a non Irish national. Our Government keeps statistics on this.

The only mistake I believe the OP made was using the term non national instead of non Irish national.

Although in Ireland, a non-national is a person who is not from Ireland, though they may have Irish citizenship.

Isle of Man.

Your post was clearly racist.

It was absolutely appropriate for Purple or anyone else to challenge it.

Brendan

Yet these posts from Purple were not called ageist by you?

I haven't had a pint in Kehoes for months. If the cost of me getting back on that barstool is a few thousand dead old people then so be it! ;)

Maybe Isle of Man should have put a funny emoji alongside his comment.

Yet these posts from Purple were not called ageist by you?

Maybe Isle of Man should have put a funny emoji alongside his comment.
I think Brendan, like most people, understands the difference between humour and racism.

Anyway, nobody cares about old people... ;)

I didn't think the post was racist. The OP was simply stating something that he observed.

We have as a nation been happy to quarantine other nations/non Irish Nationals when they visit us on holiday. In the media we hear about Covid clusters in the Roma Community, Brazilian meat packers, Travelling Community, Direct Provision.

These people have been given titles to identify them rather than just call them people.

It is natural to identify people by their looks and accents and speech. We do it all the time.

There is nothing wrong in someone being called a non Irish national. Our Government keeps statistics on this.

The only mistake I believe the OP made was using the term non national instead of non Irish national.

Although in Ireland, a non-national is a person who is not from Ireland, though they may have Irish citizenship.
In the context of clusters in marginalised communities or migrant groups which live in high density housing race or ethnicity is relevant.
In the context of who is wearing or not wearing a mask in a shop race or ethnicity is not relevant. There is an implied racism when such distinctions are made. In this context is was, "All the Irish were wearing masks, the problem is the immigrants". I thought that people understood the concept of implicit racism by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back