Are Businesses Playing at Smoke and Mirrors re Covid precautions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The question remains though; why was their ethnicity/nationality mentioned in the context of not wearing masks unless there was an implied connection between their ethnicity/nationality and them not wearing masks?
Could there be a problem with some ethnic/non Irish/non nationals/foreigners/non fellow countrymen/people from other countries not wearing masks?

Could there be a problem with some ethnic/non Irish/non nationals/foreigners/non fellow countrymen/people from other countries not wearing masks?

I doubt it unless we are now claiming all the 'Irish' looking people are wearing masks???

Should we have some sort of genetic test or a copy of our family tree displaying our "Irishness"?
There are plenty of dark skinned people who were born here. There are all sorts of accents because of parental influence etc. What, in your view, constitutes being "properly" Irish? Should we count Cork people as properly Irish and if so on what basis?

At no point whatsoever did I mention identifying individuals or even groups of people as travellers based on their appearance.

You did. This is what you said.

We recently had a visit from a convoy of Travellers with English reg vehicles into our small town.

I obviously needed to point out that I didn't mean a convoy of traveller looking individuals with English reg plates.....

There is no difference between your two statements. Except for now adding in the new words of "looking individuals".

I didn't need to add context

You certainly did.

So why have you made further posts then to add context?

There are all sorts of accents

How about speaking a foreign language? Would that be acceptable to you as it being highly likely the person is not Irish?

Maybe the OP heard a foreign language being spoken in the supermarket and assumed as most of us would do, that this person was probably not Irish.

How about speaking a foreign language? Would that be acceptable to you as it being highly likely the person is not Irish?

Maybe the OP heard a foreign language being spoken in the supermarket and assumed as most of us would do, that this person was probably not Irish.
No, if they are an Irish citizen they are Irish, even if they speak a foreign language.

So Sunny was able to add context as to why they believe this group were travellers, we can judge that assessment on the information provided.

Isle of Man was asked if they determined these people were non-nationals on anything but the colour of their skin, but that hasn't been forthcoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back