An idea about a bank protest...

micmclo - most front line staff are in the job for less than 6 months are paid badly and staff turnover is (was) very high and are rather badly treated by customers. Its not the great job that it was many years ago when the now senior management started.

You are correct, the job in a bank isn't held is such a high regard as it used to.
Front line staff are there a lot longer then 6 months, most have been there years and will make it to officer grade some day.

I wouldn't say turnover is that high either.
And yes, calling them yellow packers is offensive!

History will mark the irish 'Yes' vote to Lisbon as an exercise in misguidedness. The people had the very instrument of their salvation from misrule within their hand but chose instead to hurl themselves over into the abyss thus damning themselves, their kids and their kids kids to generations of debt. Too emotive? I don't think so.

If you really, really cannot yet make a connection between a 'yes' to Lisbon, the continuing existence of this government and being thrown to the wolves of eternal, state-inflicted indebtedness then there is not much hope for you.

Anyone who links Lisbon and the future if the EU project with our domestic political machinations is nuts. Lisbon was about the next 50 years of Europe in the context of a changing world which will be dominated by Eastern power blocks. If you voted against the treaty because you were against the direction being taken by the EU then fine. If you voted against it because of FF, NAMA etc then you're an idiot.

All Bank staff are contracted to work a 7 hour day , in the cases of branches that generally means 9.30 to 5.30.
With the need to prepare before opening and the need to balance afterwards there is little scope for offering a 9.30 to 5.30 service.

Correct, plenty of bank staff also work far more then a 35 hour week and don't necessarily get paid overtime for it

I never heard the term Yellow Packers before - can someone explain?

Ah ney - you must be too young!

I'm guessing it's a reference to Quinnsworth (pre Tesco days) where their low cost, budget non-branded stuff was known as 'yellow pack' - as it did indeed have plain yellow packaging. I think the term has been used since to imply low end, basic etc etc.

9.30 to 5.30 is not standard office hours in any SME that I know. Every SME I know works 8.00 (8.30 at the latest) to 5.30 - 6.00 (some, like mine, work 'till 6.30). Anyone who thinks 7 hours a day is a full days work is living in dream land.
My post was meant to provide information on the contracted working hours of Bank Staff.
Prior to the introduction of the 7 hour day some years ago the standard working day for the Banks was 7.25 hours a day , anything in excess of that was paid as overtime.
I can understand your disbelief if you consider a 9.30 hour/47.5 hour week to be standard !
Where do you find time to post !

I'm guessing it's a reference to Quinnsworth (pre Tesco days) where their low cost, budget non-branded stuff was known as 'yellow pack' - as it did indeed have plain yellow packaging. I think the term has been used since to imply low end, basic etc etc.

Yep, that's it
Though I'm not old enough to remember Quinnsworth :)
To hire yellow pack staff is to hire cheap, young staff who probably are not well qualified either. But hey, they are cheap and can be replaced instantly!

Not something you want to be called ney001

Correct, plenty of bank staff also work far more then a 35 hour week and don't necessarily get paid overtime for it
It must be said that most Branch staff do not need to work any overtime as there is more than enough time a complete a days banking operation in the 9.30 to 5.30 framework.
As you say however there are a large number of staff who work unpaid overtime , generally however they are on pay for performance contracts who have a reasonable expectation of being recompensed for this overtime at bonus time ( perhaps not as much so in recent years ! ).
Equally there are plenty of staff who get paid for overtime

With the need to prepare before opening and the need to balance afterwards there is little scope for offering a 9.30 to 5.30 service.

What about serving the public like all other business do. I don't know any other business that prepares for work by keeping their doors closed. But it's akin to a cartel so what else can one expect. Anyway it's not as if the bank is interested in giving a good service.

Actually I think Brian Lenihan should make it compulsory as a condition of the bailout for banks to open 9 to 5.30 Mon to Friday with one late opening till 9 once a week. Going to the bank shouldn't mean an inconvenience and having to take time off work.

Yep, that's it
Though I'm not old enough to remember Quinnsworth :)
To hire yellow pack staff is to hire cheap, young staff who probably are not well qualified either. But hey, they are cheap and can be replaced instantly!

Not something you want to be called ney001

I was a Quinnsworth yellow packer. We did plenty of overtime at all hours, literally (in the days before 24 hour supermarkets) and the younger and more naive you were the more likely your hours were not paid properly.

I posted about Quinnsworth products, where the name comes from
The cheap yellow pack own brand products!

Where did I mention Quinnsworth staff? Where did I say Quinnsworth treated their staff badly at all? :confused:

Not sure what post you are reading.
The OP posted that bank staff were yellow packers and I responded to that

And yet you bring up the point you worked for Quinnsworth, why?
I might be naive and young but I can read posts!

Ah ney - you must be too young!

Thanks Caveat - I did wonder if it was a reference to 'yellow pack' products - I do remember them although I was very very young! :D

My post was meant to provide information on the contracted working hours of Bank Staff.
Prior to the introduction of the 7 hour day some years ago the standard working day for the Banks was 7.25 hours a day , anything in excess of that was paid as overtime.
Did they take a pay cut when their week was reduced? If not it was a 3.5% pay increase.

I can understand your disbelief if you consider a 9.30 hour/47.5 hour week to be standard !
Where do you find time to post !
I don’t think it’s a big deal for an office with more than 5 people to have one person there ‘till 6.30 to answer the phone and deal with customer enquiries.
While I, and most of those I work with, do more than 8 hours overtime a week I do accept that this would only be common with smaller companies.

What about serving the public like all other business do. I don't know any other business that prepares for work by keeping their doors closed. But it's akin to a cartel so what else can one expect. Anyway it's not as if the bank is interested in giving a good service.

Actually I think Brian Lenihan should make it compulsory as a condition of the bailout for banks to open 9 to 5.30 Mon to Friday with one late opening till 9 once a week. Going to the bank shouldn't mean an inconvenience and having to take time off work.
That's why the Banks introduced online banking and why there is a profusion of ATM's and lunch hour opening as well ?
You think there's no prep work in Bars , restaurants, cafes etc before they open and related clean up work when they close?
Also if you wish to consult an accoutant , solicitor or other professions you also need to take time off work.
Can't see Brian Lenihan or indeed the Banks stumping up for the extra monies required to pay for the opening times suggested by you !

Did they take a pay cut when their week was reduced? If not it was a 3.5% pay increase.

In answer to your query regarding the reduction in the working day I can tell you that Bank of Ireland offered that reduction as part of a package of inducements when the last redundancy package was agreed.

I was a Quinnsworth yellow packer. We did plenty of overtime at all hours, literally (in the days before 24 hour supermarkets) and the younger and more naive you were the more likely your hours were not paid properly.

My friend got a job in the AIB in 1989, and at the time the type of job he got was referred to as the yellow pack bank job. From memory he had different terms and conditions.

That's why the Banks introduced online banking and why there is a profusion of ATM's and lunch hour opening as well ?
You think there's no prep work in Bars , restaurants, cafes etc before they open and related clean up work when they close?
Also if you wish to consult an accoutant , solicitor or other professions you also need to take time off work.
Can't see Brian Lenihan or indeed the Banks stumping up for the extra monies required to pay for the opening times suggested by you !

Imagine that the banks open at lunchtime. Wow.

I use oneline banking etc. But there are times when I need to go to the bank, and I don't think waiting until 10.04 o'clock in the day is normal for any other profession or any other business, never mind closing mid afternoon.

Have you not heard of organisation of working hours, most banks have loads of staff, quite simple to have some come early and some stay late, what's wrong with that.

Any estate agent, solicitor or accountant I've ever dealt with have been willing to see me outside normal business hours if necessary, but this is not comparing like with like. One only needs to see these professionals rarely whereas banking is an everyday occurance for some.

Don't you think the banks make enough proft without expecting the government to pay for the extra opening hours - that's a riduculous suggestion.

The only reason banks have online banking and atm's is to stop customers going to banks so they can hire less staff and cut costs. They didn't do it for any other reason.

I hope AAM makes a recommendation to the Minister that banks should operate normal hours as a condition of NAMA. At least that cost will hit their bottom line. But nothing has actually changed at the banks so we won't be seeing anything designed to appease the mere Irish plebs (me included) who are bailing them out. Just look at the appointment last week to see that.

I hope AAM makes a recommendation to the Minister that banks should operate normal hours as a condition of NAMA. At least that cost will hit their bottom line. But nothing has actually changed at the banks so we won't be seeing anything designed to appease the mere Irish plebs (me included) who are bailing them out. Just look at the appointment last week to see that.

Yes lets keep coming up with different ways to keep hitting their bottom line because I want nothing more than an unprofitable banking sector. That will show them. :rolleyes:

€54 billion is a lot of money just to pay for longer opening hours. Why don't you just move your money to the post office. They open Saturdays don't they?

Back