Alleged Parking Offence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately Mrs Gekko pulled in on a disabled parking spot. Should/if a disabled driver was behind you they would proceed assuming the parking spot was taken.
There wasn't though. That's the point.

Years ago I would challenge people about setting down in disabled spots but now days just not worth the abuse.
I used to drive a disabled family member around and I still challenge the selfish and invariably ill-mannered transgressors.

I get the usual, predictable plethora of non-excuses, I've been threatened, spat on and spat at but two of the Oscar nominee conversations went something like this:

1. me: "I notice you're using a disabled person's parking bay, but you don't have a blue badge displayed on your car. Any reason for that?"
him (after the usual preambles): "I didn't see it."
me: "You didn't see the big blue rectangle the council painted on the road, which they outlined beautifully in white, and painted the universally recognised symbol in the centre? Maybe you shouldn't be driving at all?"
him: "But sure I forgot me glasses today."

2. me: pretty much as 1.
him: "The wife has it in her handbag, she's the badge holder. I sent her into the shop there for a minute."
me: Stuck for words for once

Last edited:
Usually, it’s related to sensitivity around Northern Ireland or the use of the term ‘Ireland’ versus ‘the Republic of Ireland’.
Okay, but this is a country, not a jurisdiction. If people don't want to say "Ireland" (the name of this country in English) then just say "This country".

Okay, but this is a country, not a jurisdiction. If people don't want to say "Ireland" (the name of this country in English) then just say "This country".
I personally don’t do that, but I can see how language can get awkward when Northern Ireland is at all involved.

Last edited:
I personally don’t do that, but I can see how language cab get awkward when Northern Ireland is at all involved.
Everything gets awkward when Northern Ireland is involved. That doesn't mean we should demote ourselves from a country to a jurisdiction. If so why not describe ourselves as The Free State?

Everything gets awkward when Northern Ireland is involved. That doesn't mean we should demote ourselves from a country to a jurisdiction. If so why not describe ourselves as The Free State?
That’s an offensive term too. It’s tricky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back