AIB AIB has accepted the Ombudsman's decision and will be rolling it out to 5,900 impacted customers

Status
Not open for further replies.
AIB are all over the shop on this issue. On the one hand I’ve been advised by their helpline operatives that I’m part of the cohort who will receive redress, yet they keep sending me letters (concerning my complaint with them on the same issue) saying that matters are as yet unresolved. See attached. I’ll only be satisfied when I get the cheque (and calculation breakdown).
I keep getting the same letter too although I never officially complained

This is a bit of a rant, but I have had it up to my neck with AIB. It has taken them 10 years to fold to any degree and now that they have, they are making us wait even longer. There is no excuse for this.

People out there are really, really struggling despite doing absolutely nothing wrong and with no reason why they can't be compensated immediately. That's putting aside the nonsense with this "helpline".

Awful, awful behaviour.

AIB are all over the shop on this issue. On the one hand I’ve been advised by their helpline operatives that I’m part of the cohort who will receive redress, yet they keep sending me letters (concerning my complaint with them on the same issue) saying that matters are as yet unresolved.

Hi Jay
To be fair,there is no conflict here.

1) You have made a complaint. They have not resolved it yet to your satisfaction.
2) They acknowledge that you are in the cohort.
3) When you get the redress, you might or might not be satisfied with it.

They could tailor a letter to you.
1) we are implementing the Ombudsman's decision and you are in that cohort.
2) We can't get Excel to work, so it's taking us 4 months to calculate it
3) In the meantime, we will put your complaint on hold. If you are happy with the outcome, then you can withdraw your complaint.
4) If you are not happy, we will continue to review it.

Brendan

Hi Jay
To be fair,there is no conflict here.

1) You have made a complaint. They have not resolved it yet to your satisfaction.
2) They acknowledge that you are in the cohort.
3) When you get the redress, you might or might not be satisfied with it.

They could tailor a letter to you.
1) we are implementing the Ombudsman's decision and you are in that cohort.
2) We can't get Excel to work, so it's taking us 4 months to calculate it
3) In the meantime, we will put your complaint on hold. If you are happy with the outcome, then you can withdraw your complaint.
4) If you are not happy, we will continue to review it.

Brendan
Agreed Brendan.

My point is that their complaints system (for want of a better word) leaves much to be desired vis-a-vis communication to the customer as to where they’re at and what they’re going to do about it, having regard to the Ombudsman decision.

Ticking a regulatory box and having their IT system spit out a pro forma letter every four weeks which is somewhat out of date having regard to regulatory decisions doesn’t point to great customer service. Plus it’s confusing.

I agree it could be better.

But it's complicated and messy.

And they are overwhelmed with 5,907 cases.

But they could have done it better. For example, assuming that they have cleared the scheme with the Central Bank, they could have prioritised the few hundred complaints they have on hand and resolved them first.

Brendan

Hi Im still waiting on the ombudsman to make a decision on a complaint going back to 2017. The last 3months I’ve called & emailed to get an update but nobody returns calls or emails. Has anyone else found the service well below average.

Received the documents today, in the following order;

Part 1
Part 2
Part 6
Part 7
Solicitor's undertaking
Declaration sworn by my wife
Declaration sworn by me
Notice of interest and Cessation of interest x2,
Direct debit mandate
Part 3
Part 4 (which includes section 3.2)
Part 5 and
Part 6.

Feeling relieved but won't be fully so until I get the letter in July/August.

I presume we are all reasonably assuming it will be the end of August before we hear back from AIB?

I logged a complaint on their website this week. I went into arrears and had to be restructured 8yrs ago and if I’d been on a tracker rate there would have been no need.. I’d expect to get my arrears wiped out as well as the overcharging

Hi Brendan,

I've been reading these threads for a bit and assumed that we are in the cohort for compensation in July/August as we seem to meet the 3 criteria (3.2 in contract etc) and we received the cheque for €1615 in March 2018. However I see in a recent thread when listing the criteria you said:

But if anyone has the following circumstances, they should be in the group:

Started on a fixed rate
Had clause 3.2 in their contract
Came out of the fixed rate after October 2008
And were not offered a tracker rate.

So now I'm not sure. Our Offer of Mortage Loan was in August 2008 and we were to start on a fixed rate. However we did not drawn down the mortgage until December 2008 and before we did we asked AIB could we start on a variable rate instead, which is what happened.

In March 2010 we moved to a 3 year fixed rate and it's this period of our mortgage that I believe means we meet the criteria (account with 3.2 in contract that fixed for a period that expired between Oct 2008 and Dec 2013).

But my concern is now that because of how we started is this maybe the sort of little nuances that AIB will use to get out of paying us the compensation? Is this what the people on the helpline are meaning when they are saying not everyone who got the €1615 will get more now?

The contract said "at the end of any fixed rate"

You had a fixed rate.

You should get it.
In March 2010 we moved to a 3 year fixed rate and it's this period of our mortgage that I believe means we meet the criteria (account with 3.2 in contract that fixed for a period that expired between Oct 2008 and Dec 2013).

I do not understand this sentence. But it doesn't seem to be relevant.

Brendan

The contract said "at the end of any fixed rate"

You had a fixed rate.

You should get it.

I do not understand this sentence. But it doesn't seem to be relevant.

Brendan

Sorry Brendan, that sentence is probably not very clear. I was just paraphrasing a bit from AIB's own letter of March 2018 were it says several times about the fact our mortgage account was affected because it had an interest rate that was fixed for a period that expired between October 2008 and December 2013. I was just confirming that as being the case because our fixed period ran from March 2010 to March 2013.

Thank you very much for all your hard work on this issue. Its greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back