AIB & BOI getting out of retail ATMs

most of the tradespeople I've had out in the last couple of years have been happy to take a bank transfer.

Hello,

In advance of coming to you?

Im surprised, it certainly differs with my experiences. Perhaps you might be good enough to let us know where you sourced these people from, was it a Tradesman website for example?

Another category is the taxi drivers. Those who accept Lynk or Free Now all turn their systems off when things get busy, then only accepting cash payments in the large majority of cases that I've seen in Dublin.

tbh if someone has a Visa/MasterCard or equivalent is there any reason to use an ATM at all ? Places that don't take cards and tap are getting very rare. This will only effect folk who use cash out of habit and as someone mentioned on boards.ie, what about those BOI On demand savings account ATM only cards, which only work in BOI machines?.
I use my card for large transactions and cash for small transactions, this helps when checking bank statements

Why pay €3.99 to take out €20 when you could just get cashback at the till.

Getting cashback at the till is dependent on people still actually paying with cash!! If everyone pays by card / google pay / apple pay etc because they don't want to pay ATM fees the retailers won't have the cash reserves in their tills to offer cashback. When I worked for Tesco many moons ago we were told the reason they offer cashback is to reduce the amount of cash they hold, as cash is actually the most expensive means of payment for them to process once counting / sorting / security fees (ie Securicor type collection) are taken into account.

Had a plumber out last week and asked in advance how he wanted paid. Was happy to accept either cash or bank transfer, so just did him a bank transfer through the Ulster Bank app once the job was done.

Back