AIB & BOI getting out of retail ATMs

ATM usage is rapidly declining as we move rapidly towards a cashless society. Euronet might be able to keep some ATMs operating, in the short term, via fees, but ATMs have no long term future.

AIB and BoI either sell their network of ATMs or face years of gradual closures of ATMs. A sale makes sense.

I suppose it's a way to keep free fees while competing with banks who have no ATM network. May well drive increased use of cashback, as you say.

It was reported in the independent that boi could get over 20 million from euronet for their stock, why? Euronet machines are already poping up in small retailers, spar in Thurles got a euronet machine put in recently. Couldn't the merchant just ditch their boi machine and go with euronet instead ?

Hi,

Given the circumstances, we all need to get better at finding other, fee free or low fee, methods of paying for goods and services.

I try to use either Google Pay, Revolut or my Credit Card, to pay for the large majority of things these days, to help keep bank fees under control.

Hi,

Given the circumstances, we all need to get better at finding other, fee free or low fee, methods of paying for goods and services.

I try to use either Google Pay, Revolut or my Credit Card, to pay for the large majority of things these days, to help keep bank fees under control.
tbh if someone has a Visa/MasterCard or equivalent is there any reason to use an ATM at all ? Places that don't take cards and tap are getting very rare. This will only effect folk who use cash out of habit and as someone mentioned on boards.ie, what about those BOI On demand savings account ATM only cards, which only work in BOI machines?.

tbh if someone has a Visa/MasterCard or equivalent is there any reason to use an ATM at all ? Places that don't take cards and tap are getting very rare...

There's no way that you'll get most tradesmen out to your house, if you are not prepared to pay them in cash.

Then there are small independent retailers, who will often also give you a discount on relatively large purchases, if you pay by cash.

Ultimately, Im good with the concept of a cashless society, but only if its not going to cost me extra (it should actually save us all money), or inconvenience me.

There's no way that you'll get most tradesmen out to your house, if you are not prepared to pay them in cash.

Then there are small independent retailers, who will often also give you a discount on relatively large purchases, if you pay by cash.

Ultimately, Im good with the concept of a cashless society, but only if its not going to cost me extra (it should actually save us all money), or inconvenience me.
All true, but I often see people down the local costcutter taking 20€ out of the ATM with their visa debit and going to the till to pay for two pizzas and a bottle of wine when they could just tap. Just seems to be a habit thing.

The ATMs need upgrading and the capital investment required is too much at a time when less and less people are using cash.

I don't understand why people are complaining about the death of these machines when people aren't using them. Technology has moved on, it's tap with a card or phone.

Although I do know a retail business who won't accept credit or debit cards as they won't pay the fees .

The ATMs need upgrading and the capital investment required is too much at a time when less and less people are using cash.

I don't understand why people are complaining about the death of these machines when people aren't using them. Technology has moved on, it's tap with a card or phone.

Although I do know a retail business who won't accept credit or debit cards as they won't pay the fees .
I strongly disagree "people aren't using them". It's very true about other European countries but there's not a day that goes by that I don't see people here using ATMs. In contrast I was in another EU country before Xmas and ATMs looked as dormant as public pay phones.

There is a queue regularly at the bank atms downtown here! For that reason I usually head for the ones in the shops rather than standing in the cold queuing but if I have to I'll use the bank ones. I have just an ATM card, no debit card and no tapping business, I do one cash withdrawal once a week and I prefer my budgeting that way. Big purchases are done with credit card.

There is a queue regularly at the bank atms downtown here! For that reason I usually head for the ones in the shops rather than standing in the cold queuing but if I have to I'll use the bank ones. I have just an ATM card, no debit card and no tapping business, I do one cash withdrawal once a week and I prefer my budgeting that way. Big purchases are done with credit card.
Is it a bank of Ireland savings account card that you have?

most of the tradespeople I've had out in the last couple of years have been happy to take a bank transfer.

Strangely in Germany, where it is a much more cash society (huge number of pubs/shops refuse to take cards) there aren't that many free ATMs and while there are private ATMs ... not as many as you might think.

Back