Key Post After-Tax Investing in Equities vs. Early Mortgage Repayment

Ent319

Askaboutmoney seems to lean heavily towards recommending early mortgage repayments rather than after-tax equity investing. I'd like to get a better feel for why. I know the answer to this question in any particular case will depend on personal circumstances, tax situation, salary, mortgage rates, pension arrangements, family etc ...

To me, clearing off your mortgage early for your PPR seems like a "go big or go home" kind of investment decision. It's essentially a lifestyle choice. By paying off your mortgage early you're minimising risk, reducing leverage and in the end reducing the amount of money it costs you to live a normal life. It's a guaranteed return on investment. A strong overpayment strategy also opens up a range of alternative lifestyle options e.g. part time working, early retirement, spending more time with the kids etc ... Sounds great.

Then my brain thinks:

1. Unless you have an extreme overpayment strategy, the investment horizon for receiving the full benefits of overpayment is likely to be 20-25 years. Any non-silly, after-tax investment in equities over a similar period is likely to outgrow the returns made by paying off your mortgage early, assuming current interest rates do not spike significantly. The longer the time period, and the longer interest rates remain low, the better return you're likely to see from investing.

2. If interest rates do rise, there's always the option to pull your money away from after-tax investments and then put that towards a lump sum overpayment or shift it towards monthly overpayments later on. Swings in the market might not make this feasible for a few years at a time, but it's ultimately an option. If you're euro-cost averaging you're unlikely to be in a position where you get stung too badly.

3. Better interest rates can be secured by remaining on fixed rates, which tend to restrict the amount of money that you can overpay. Current cashback offers on the market reward you for keeping your principal high. This offsets the lower interest rates you might get with a lower LTV.

4. Early mortgage repayments don't buy you additional equity in your house. They reduce a cost in the event of a sale. You gain the full benefits of any increases in the value of your house over time by doing nothing, while your debt always remains static.

5. Your PPR is ultimately an expense that should be minimised. The capital you lock away by making early repayments is money that's paying for something you already have the full use of. Other than reducing future interest payments, it's dead money that's locked in your house and isn't giving you any benefit you don't already have access to.

6. Money paid towards early mortgage repayments is not easily accessible, like money paid into a pension. Despite volatility in equity markets, money put towards equities is ultimately more accessible, particularly where you've euro-cost averaged. This would be money available if you: decide to go back to university; end up having to pay for a court case; have huge medical expenses or become unemployed for a year during your mortgage term.

7. Even if at the end of a thirty or thirty-five year mortgage making early repayments would have left you with a larger aggregate amount of money, the investment route would have provided you with more money when you needed it over the course of your life.

8. Over a long period time, assuming your wages rise with inflation, the real cost of your mortgage payments declines significantly as money loses its value.

9. Could the tax situation for after-tax equity investments in Ireland really get any worse than it is now? With the prominence of ISAs etc in the UK ... I feel like better options for equity funds is something that will eventually come along.

Some of the thinking outlined above is underpinned by my current life situation, and I could understand how it might be inappropriate if was in a more precarious position. I'm in a couple, able to support each other if times get tough, both decent paying and secure jobs, have salary protection insurance, mortgage protection insurance, have a house we're fairly confident is going to do us for at least the next 15 years babies or no babies etc ...

What am I missing?

Last edited:
I'm also assuming that a strategy is in place to maximise pensions benefits also.

I think the world is more random and messy than what's outlined.

Very few people would be able to cope with the volatility in the equity markets and stomach large drawdowns knowing that they could have put the pre-drawdown sum towards their mortgage.

With a pension, the money is locked up until retirement. With ready access to funds, people might act against their own best interests. People also might not be savvy enough to just invest in a low-cost equity tracker. Unscrupulous financial advisers may spot an opportunity to put people into high-cost products and so reduce the economic gain of this strategy.

If interest rates are rock bottom it doesn't necessarily open up a larger spread to be earned in the equity markets (i.e. historic equity return less cost of debt). Low interest rates, higher P/E ratios and lower long-term returns tend to follow.

It's certainly do-able, but it's for the few and not the many, and that's where I think the advice to favour the mortgage comes from.

Apologies - in the first point I should clarify that I meant mortgage interest rates, rather than interest rates generally.

If you're euro-cost averaging you're unlikely to be in a position where you get stung too badly.

"dollar cost averaging" and "euro cost averaging" sounds like some clever investment technique which maximises gains and minimises risk. But it's nothing of the sort.

Current cashback offers on the market reward you for keeping your principal high.

No. Current cash back offers do incentivise you to borrow more initially but you should pay down whatever you don't need as quickly as possible.

You got 2% up front. That money is paid.

It makes no sense to continue paying interest at 3% is you can pay it off.

4. Early mortgage repayments don't buy you additional equity in your house.

Correct, but irrelevant.

Forget the fact that your mortgage is secured on your home.

Assume it's an unsecured mortgage at 3% and decide if you should pay it off or invest in equities.

Brendan

The capital you lock away by making early repayments is money that's paying for something you already have the full use of.

See 4. above. Irrelevant.

Think of it as an unsecured loan of €200k. If you pay €10k off it, you now owe €190k and you are paying less interest.

6. Money paid towards early mortgage repayments is not easily accessible, like money paid into a pension. Despite volatility in equity markets, money put towards equities is ultimately more accessible, particularly where you've euro-cost averaged. This would be money available if you: decide to go back to university; end up having to pay for a court case; have huge medical expenses or become unemployed for a year during your mortgage term.

Correct generally.

Detail wrong.

euro-cost averaging is a myth and has no relevance to accessibility.

Money tied up in your pension is very hard to access.

If you trade up and most people do, you effectively access early mortgage repayments.

If you overpay by €10,000 you get a reduced interest rate and, if you wish, a reduced repayment, so you are accessing it.

But your general point is correct. If you need the money in the next couple of years, don't overpay your mortgage.

I am giving you a full point for this, but I can see others deducting the point for daring to suggest investing in equities over a two year horizon.

Score so far: 1/6

Last edited:
7. Even if at the end of a thirty or thirty-five year mortgage making early repayments would have left you with a larger aggregate amount of money, the investment route would have provided you with more money when you needed it over the course of your life.

This is only a variation of point 6.

So score still 1/6

8. Over a long period time, assuming your wages rise with inflation, the real cost of your mortgage payments declines significantly as money loses its value.

Not the real cost, but your mortgage repayments as a proportion of your income do indeed generally fall.

But your investment as a proportion of your income also falls.

So this point is not valid either.

Score: 1/7

9. Could the tax situation for after-tax equity investments in Ireland really get any worse than it is now? With the prominence of ISAs etc in the UK ... I feel like better options for equity funds is something that will eventually come along.

Agreed, but that is not a reason, for investing in equities now.

If the tax situation makes investing in equities preferable to paying off your mortgage, start investing in equities then.

Final score 1/8.

Conclusion: You should pay down your mortgage before investing in equities unless you have a cheap tracker or unless you need the money in the near future.

So I have given you 1 point out of 8. But on the investing in equities because the cash is accessible, I think that some of the stricter contributors here won't give you that point. But I am feeling generous tonight and I don't want to discourage you.

Brendan

Hi Brendan, thanks for your input. Can't help but feel your responses might be a bit mean spirited given I've come here pretty open-minded to being convinced otherwise about my views ?

Response to Point 1

This is a very narrow interpretation of what I've said. Of course making an early repayments reduces interest on the principal straight away. You might have inferred my use of the phrase "full benefit" that I was referring to the ultimate goal of overpaying the mortgage - not having a mortgage to pay anymore. Apologies if this wasn't clear.

Dollar Cost averaging

Yes, I am aware that in practice, dollar / euro-cost averaging leads to less return over time than had you simply put all your money in the market straight away. As a strategy though, it might provide you some comfort though in the short or medium term - especially where cashflow might be an issue.

Cashback offers incentivising higher principal.

By reducing your principal, you gain less from other cashback offers when you switch. I would argue this incentivises you somewhat to keep your principle high and leverage up, providing you can continue to avail of the offers over the long term. I'm surprised you would disagree so strongly given AAM pioneered the cashback switcheroo. It might not make a huge difference but it makes the leveraging more palatable.

Correct, but irrelevant.

Forget the fact that your mortgage is secured on your home.

Assume it's an unsecured mortgage at 3% and decide if you should pay it off or invest in equities.

Brendan

It's not quite that straightforward once incentives for switching are taken into account. Your effective interest rate is lower. Plus, 3% is on the higher end of interest rates at the moment. I've been quite open to the fact that should interest rates go up, it probably makes much more sense to repay your mortgage early.

Think of it as an unsecured loan of €200k. If you pay €10k off it, you now owe €190k and you are paying less interest.

I don't quite understand your point here. If you could explain further that would be great.

Inflation

Fair.

Agreed, but that is not a reason, for investing in equities now.

If the tax situation makes investing in equities preferable to paying off your mortgage, start investing in equities then.

Final score 1/8.

Conclusion: You should pay down your mortgage before investing in equities unless you have a cheap tracker or unless you need the money in the near future.

I suppose the issue with any reduction in tax for equities - if you're starting your investing career - is that you're only like to benefit from those tax reductions much further down the line. Perhaps I'm too much of an optimist.

Can't help but feel your responses might be a bit mean spirited given I've come here pretty open-minded to being convinced otherwise about my views ?

I am sorry to hear that. I thought I was being generous.

I will respond to your response later.

Brendan

Any non-silly, after-tax investment in equities over a similar period is likely to outgrow the returns made by paying off your mortgage early, assuming current interest rates do not spike significantly. The longer the time period, and the longer interest rates remain low, the better return you're likely to see from investing.
If you believe this, then you can justify most of your post. But I can't see how you can rationally justify this belief, and I'd be interested to see more of your thinking behind it.

Hi Ent

When I realised how much work is involved in dealing with the points you made, I thought it better to approach it from first principles.

So I have started a new thread.

Thanks for the inspiration

Brendan

Any non-silly, after-tax investment in equities over a similar period is likely to outgrow the returns made by paying off your mortgage early, assuming current interest rates do not spike significantly. The longer the time period, and the longer interest rates remain low, the better return you're likely to see from investing.
This has been my experience over about 25 years of investing, and the effect is even more magnified if you are investing through a pension.

There's a few behavioural issues mentioned earlier with the suggestion that people may not be able to stick the ups and downs of equities which is fair. What's also behavioural however is that paying off a mortgage may encourage you to trade-up earlier or to a bigger property than you really need. I know there's an obsession with property in Ireland, but I've always thought it odd why people would want to tie up most of their net worth in a dwelling when they could happily live in a smaller one and free up money to invest into actual productive assets.

There's also the security of owning a home in Ireland with all the reluctance to repossess which I think needs to be considered, vs the insecurity of not having assets on hand or a pension as you head into retirement. I'd much rather have a larger (but manageable) mortgage and a larger pension, than to have a smaller mortgage and small pension. Obviously I'd want to able to clear the mortgage before retirement, or shortly afterwards.

The points about getting the mortgage down to manageable levels are fair, but there's almost an assumption that people will over-borrow (or should be over-borrowing) to buy a home.

Hey Brendan, that thread look really good and I'm looking forward to reading the discussion in there. With my level of knowledge I don't really think I'm in an amazing position to contribute - only to ask questions. I think it's really beneficial to look at things from a first principles perspective.

If you believe this, then you can justify most of your post. But I can't see how you can rationally justify this belief, and I'd be interested to see more of your thinking behind it.

Let me outline my thinking:

Let's assume interest rates stay in and around their current levels for the foreseeable future - 2% to 3%. Let's also assume that switching incentives remain available on the market. These can range from around €3000 at the lower end to 2% of the total principal of mortgage remaining (assuming you want to switch more frequently than every five years). These switching incentives lower the effective interest rate of the mortgage over the long term. Any after tax investment product would have to beat the effective average interest rate for the mortgage over the long term for it to be the more profitable option. It would have to do this quite well for it to be the more sensible option.

Let's assume you're investing after tax in a well-diversified, global equity index fund, with around a 1% AMC and which is subject to 41% exit tax. With ample use of current switching incentives I don't think it's unreasonable to say that you could have the effective interest rate of your mortgage at around 2%, if you switch every two years or so. In many cases it might be lower than this. Your equity fund would need to make about 3.5% before tax and expenses for this to be profitable over the long term. For it to be the sensible option, you'd really want your equity fund returning +5% before tax and expenses over the long term. This would seem to me to be quite achievable based on current market rates. This would seem to be very achievable if you're investing the money you make from cashback offers too.

Of course, the maths underpinning the assumptions above changes very quickly if mortgage interest rates go up, or if cashback offers reduce. It also would not seem sensible if you're more susceptible to risk (e.g. don't have stable jobs, have higher ongoing expenses because of kids , don't have income protection or mortgage protection insurance etc ....). As has been rightly pointed out a few times now - if you have a feeling you're going to trade then the advantages might lean more strongly towards overpaying the mortgage.

Last edited:
Reactions: jim
Back