Withdrawing from an ATM abroad

I'm not saying that there isn't. I'm just making the point that you don't HAVE to have the Cirrus or Maestro logos on the card for it to work.

original poster, contact your bank directly and find out. im sure every bank deals with it differently.
im with boi and always pay a small fee when withdrawing cash with my cc from an atm in germany and uk. it's € 3,50/ € 4,00 per transaction.

I'm not saying that there isn't. I'm just making the point that you don't HAVE to have the Cirrus or Maestro logos on the card for it to work.
Fair enough. But I'd imagine the number of cards without the logos that work will be few and far between. When was your card issued? I thought that PTSB recently reissued cards with Cirrus and Maestro (previously Cirrus only)?

i withdrew money recently while away on my cc by mistake (both BOI and look the same, same pin no) and was charged €3 from my bank.

You mean the cash advance fee is a fixed €3 on your card or that some percentage of the amount withdrawn (advanced?) was charged?

I think PTSB upgraded their ATM cards to provide the cirrus facility without physically changing the cards. Previously my PTSB card didn't give me cash abroad but it has for the last two years and it was just a plain ATM card aswell. It was around the same time they brought out the 'Switch free banking account'.

i withdrew money recently while away on my cc by mistake (both BOI and look the same, same pin no) and was charged €3 from my bank.

I have preloaded my CC with credit on many holidays and used it at ATMs and never had a single E3.00 charge for a transaction? In fact within the EU I`m pretty sure theres no charge.

I`ve used this method in the States and withdrawn a couple of thousand dollars over a two week period and the charges have been miniscule.

I purposely avoid using a Laser card for holidays as the charges seem excessive(certainly outside the EU).

No charges using a Postbank debit/ATM card in the eurozone.

Note I work for Postbank

Back