Withdrawing from an ATM abroad

pAnTs

Hi there I was wondering did anyone know how much it costs to withdraw cash from and ATM in mainland Europe? I cant find any information on the internet about it.
Thanks

I'm assuming you don't mean with a credit card. If it's a Eurozone country it doesn't cost anything. Just make sure you've got Cirrus on your card or it won't work.

oh great so it's the same charge as a local withdrawal?

my cards a bank of Ireland laser card, it's got the cirrus logo & a meastro logo (?) on the back, not sure if it's just an advertisement for cirrus though

Well I don't pay anything here either. When i asked at the foreign exchange desk they told me it's free within the Eurozone and I definitely wasn't charged extra.

I guess that means you can spend more treating yourself while away :)

BTW, that's right, once your card has the Cirrus logo it'll work.

If the logos are on the back of your laser card, you should be good to go.

You can use it as you would a laser card here also....in shops, bars, etc, although I've been asked for ID when using it shopping in Spain, which was a first ever, anywhere.

Last edited:
This is a result of Regulation 2560/2001 of the EU which essentially says that charges for card transactions executed in euro in Europe should be the same as the charge for the same transaction in the cardholders home country. So if an Irishman and a Frenchman both draw cash from an ATM in Spain, the Irishman will be charged Irish charges, while the Frenchman will be charged French charges.

You may still be charged a withdrawal fee in EU countries such as Estonia, which have a fixed exchange rate with the Euro, but still use their own currency.

Hi,

What about withdrawing from ATM with a visa card? Some say there are charges and some say no. I even got conflicting replies from AIB visa section! Has anyone had experience. I plan loading the account before leaving so I'll be in credit.

Thanks
Maddad

Hi,

What about withdrawing from ATM with a visa card? Some say there are charges and some say no. I even got conflicting replies from AIB visa section! Has anyone had experience. I plan loading the account before leaving so I'll be in credit.

Thanks
Maddad

AFAIK, if you pre-load your credit card and its swiped fraudulently, the amount in credit is not covered by standard VISA insurances. Check the T&cs with you Credit card and travel insurance.

My banking experience is a couple of years old, but from what I remember Visa charge a standard Cash withdrawl charge - not your bank, which is up to a certain amount, and a percentage thereafter.

Read the T&Cs

AFAIK, if you pre-load your credit card and its swiped fraudulently, the amount in credit is not covered by standard VISA insurances. Check the T&cs with you Credit card and travel insurance.
I usually use online banking (taking the usual security precautions when accessing it) to transfer money to the CC in dribs and drabs as needed rather than in one go.
My banking experience is a couple of years old, but from what I remember Visa charge a standard Cash withdrawl charge
That's for cash advances and not cash withdrawals from an account preloaded with cash. And it's normally a percentage of the amount advanced subject to some minimum amount. Some cards also charge interest from the time of the advance. Others (e.g. my PTSB VISA) do not and treat it like any other purchase once the cash advance fee has been charged. Some ATMs may also unilaterally charge a fee for withdrawals (e.g. some in the US do and state this up front).

I don't have a cirrus logo on my regular PTSB cash card and have used this abroad loads of times.....has worked in Europe anyway so far without any bother.

I don't have a cirrus logo on my regular PTSB cash card and have used this abroad loads of times.....has worked in Europe anyway so far without any bother.
Well it must include support for something like Cirrus or Maestro if you got cash abroad. My latest PTSB card is a combined cheque guarantee, ATM, Laser, Cirrus and Maestro.

Well it must include support for something like Cirrus or Maestro if you got cash abroad. My latest PTSB card is a combined cheque guarantee, ATM, Laser, Cirrus and Maestro.

Well if it does it doesn't say so on the card, it has NO Cirrus or Maestro symbols on it.

Ask PTSB. I find it hard to believe that you managed to get money abroad without Cirrus or Maestro.

Plain cash card (Not Laser) have taken cash out in the UK, France,Spain, Portugal, Brussels and Germany.

Well there simply MUST be some foreign cash access facility on the card even if the logo is not included so.

Back