Which broadband provider?

Got an email from Vodafone today informing me of a price increase of 7.6% from April
Thankfully I've moved to Pure
Pure say they can up the speed from 80 to 100 if need be but it might affect the stability of the service
Rang Pure today about my speeds and they have upped me to 100Mbps, the max my line can take
And I now get speeds between 90 and 95Mbps, slightly better than Vodafone

Renewed with Eir (fibre) yesterday €60 per month 1 gb including landline off peak. Said it would be dearer if I ditched the landline. Paid €70 previous year. Too much hassle I think to change with working from home.
That sounds expensive. Actually it's yet another "loyal customer rip-off".

The eir website is currently offering 1GB for €44.99 per month for 24 months. As far as I know you have a 14 day cooling off period. Suggest you ring them up, read them the riot act about having your loyalty being used as an opportunity to rip you off and demand the new business rate, or a discount to achieve the same. Worst that can happen is that they refuse. Before you call, you could also check on the Vodafone site for their offer just so you know and have that to add to your argument.

That sounds expensive. Actually it's yet another "loyal customer rip-off".

The eir website is currently offering 1GB for €44.99 per month for 24 months. As far as I know you have a 14 day cooling off period. Suggest you ring them up, read them the riot act about having your loyalty being used as an opportunity to rip you off and demand the new business rate, or a discount to achieve the same. Worst that can happen is that they refuse. Before you call, you could also check on the Vodafone site for their offer just so you know and have that to add to your argument.
Yep pure have 1gb for 40 a month

Switch over today to pure went smoothly. Took the advice mentioned to switch the ssid and password to old router info and that worked perfectly (just googled it).

For anyone with pure the password for admin on the router is the WiFi password they give out.

The other trick I read - too late for me this time but I'll try next year - is to change the WiFi name and password on the new router to the same as the old router. Could save a lot of time rather than updating the connections on the every increasing number of connected items there seems to be.
Took the advice mentioned to switch the ssid and password to old router info and that worked perfectly (just googled it).
I used to do this on the old pre Gigabyte routers and every time I had to reset , the router reset back to the original password
Is that still the case or do the new routers remember the new password after resetting??

I used to do this on the old pre Gigabyte routers and every time I had to reset , the router reset back to the original password
Is that still the case or do the new routers remember the new password after resetting??
I changed the router username and password in the IP config. Google it if not sure how to do it. It sounds techie but it's really not.

24 hours later username and wifi stayed with changed info

24 hours later username and wifi stayed with changed info
Yes I would expect that but have you tried resetting your router using the reset button on the back and see if the password stays the same
or does it reset to the original??

Just off phone to Eir. Tild them a loyal customer for 20 years and that my loyalty wasn't getting the recognition it should be. Reduced to 50 a month for 12 months incl landline off peak calls. Thanks Freelance for spurring me on.
Glad to hear that it worked out for you !!

Reading this thread is salutary. Compared with the regulation of energy, phone/tv/broadband is bandit country - have you ever tried extricating yourself from a Sky contract? Comreg is spineless. We should be able to seamlessly switch. Simply put, we can’t.

D.

Which makes is what now ? €64 a month ?

I dropped out at €55. Couldn't take the financial pace . . .

My Virgin Media story that nobody asked for:

Was on a €60/month contract for ages. Last month I decide it's too much and negotiate it down to €45. Felt proud of myself, an empowered consumer and all that jazz.

Not even a couple weeks later... get the letter in the post that it's going up €4. Felt so annoyed I cancelled on the spot effective immediately.

Spent a couple days with no home broadband convincing myself I can totally live with just my phone's hotspot. My partner was not so optimistic given that he likes watching lots of Youtube while playing computer games.

In a stroke of genius I decide to sign up to Virgin Media contract again... except using his name and phone number. Went through without issue and a couple days later received the new modem.

New plan is €35/month, so over the next 12 months I'll save 300 compared to my original plan :)

Reading this thread is salutary. Compared with the regulation of energy, phone/tv/broadband is bandit country - have you ever tried extricating yourself from a Sky contract? Comreg is spineless. We should be able to seamlessly switch. Simply put, we can’t.

D.
I had bb with sky and seamlessly switched at the end of the contract.

In a stroke of genius I decide to sign up to Virgin Media contract again... except using his name and phone number
I believe once the contract is over it's over. A poster here did this and just signed up again albeit maybe more than a few days.

Back