Which broadband provider?

Check this https://www.increasebroadbandspeed....vdsl2-speed-against-distance-from-the-cabinet

It's from BT, but I would imagine that the science and engineering is the same everywhere - so distance to cabinet is key - after 500m, speed drops very quickly

Distance from the street cabinet (km)FTTC fibre broadband connection speed (Mbps)

By cabinets, are these the green boxes on street corners that seem to house all things electronic?

Yes, but not all green boxes are eFibre cabinets - some are traffic control, ordinary copper telecoms , etc, etc

I always presumed that they are,
I've one two houses to my left but the engineer informed me mine was at the other end of the road 10+ houses away

Do all houses have a copper wire connection to the cabinet?
No - that's why you hear people referring to FTTH (fibre to the home) and FTTC (fibre to the cabinet - and then copper to the home) etc.
In general FTTH should offer the best speed/throughput.

Check this https://www.increasebroadbandspeed....vdsl2-speed-against-distance-from-the-cabinet

It's from BT, but I would imagine that the science and engineering is the same everywhere - so distance to cabinet is key - after 500m, speed drops very quickly

Distance from the street cabinet (km)FTTC fibre broadband connection speed (Mbps)
That's useful and looks accurate to me.
From memory I'm c. 2km from the exchange (or cabinet?) and can only get 12-15Mbps on DSL which aligns with the data in the table.
Fibre still not available unfortunately - they installed the infrastructure about a year or more ago but still no retail services available.

Do all houses have a copper wire connection to the cabinet?

I know for me it's fibre to the cabinet but in and around 08 the phonelines were replaced to the house due to our estate road becoming a main road and the council putting the phonelines underground rather than hanging from a pole, which I presume helps with the speeds I get

Also in 2021 I shortened the distance of external copper wire and interior phone wire to the shortest distance from where the external phone line hits my house, from about 20 meters of wire to 2 meters of old copper wire to the router. One thing I did notice while doing this was that the copper wire was very brittle and broken in a couple of spots, not fully sure if I cause the breaks when removing it or if they were there before

Last edited:
That's useful and looks accurate to me.
From memory I'm c. 2km from the exchange (or cabinet?) and can only get 12-15Mbps on DSL which aligns with the data in the table.
Fibre still not available unfortunately - they installed the infrastructure about a year or more ago but still no retail services available.

I doubt you are fibre to the cabinet at all - just traditional dsl phone line. Fibre to the cabinet is an upgrade on this.

By cabinets, are these the green boxes on street corners that seem to house all things electronic?

VDSL cabinets for FTTC owned by Eircom have heavy black door hinges, that is one way to know them.

They are usually located close to older ADSL cabinets.

I doubt you are fibre to the cabinet at all - just traditional dsl phone line. Fibre to the cabinet is an upgrade on this.
I never said that I was. In fact I don't even have a landline at all these days. But if I did then it would almost certainly be DSL/copper all the way.

I said that they installed fibre (in the manholes) about a year ago. I asked one of the guys when retail services might become available and he said probably not until the end of the year (2022). They still aren't.

Just checking my download speeds on my VM 500mbs connection.

Best wi-fi speeds I can get, standing beside the router, is 230mbs, dropping to 80 upstairs.

Does this mean that the 250mbs option would be sufficient to replicate these speeds or would it just be relatively slower (e.g. 115 at ground level, 40 upstairs)

Thanks in advance

The speed from the cabinet to your router is independent of the WiFi speed between your router and your device and vice versa

Well, up to a point - if you measure your internet speed on your device, it will obviously not exceed the speed from the cabinet to your router no matter how fast the WiFi leg of the link is

Openeir use vectoring, and that increases the speeds available, 100 Mbps close to cabinet (within 150 meters or so)
I have a chart of speed vs distance somewhere

The speed from the cabinet to your router is independent of the WiFi speed between your router and your device and vice versa
Thanks. But if I reduce to 250mbs would I still get the 230 speed I’m currently getting with my 500mbs package

You need to check your broadband speed using a wired connection to the router - the 230Mb/s may be the best you can get - wired and/or Wifi

You need to check your broadband speed using a wired connection to the router - the 230Mb/s may be the best you can get - wired and/or Wifi
It almost certainly isn't tho, why would a 500mb fibre connection be 230 over ethernet?

Because you are paying for up to 500 Mb/s don't forget.

Back