Where to save in 2008

That's what was indicated (again this morning) anyway; first or second quarter 2008 - .5% drop overall possible. Guess they'll be giving their usual signals a few months beforehand if it is the case.

Sunday Times. Page 4 business section. Damien Kilbert states that it will be interesting to see if Jean-Claude Trichet can withstand the growing pressures on European business while holding rates at present levels. .......Germans are the world's biggest exporters .... but their resolve must crack at some point ... enough is enough etc etc.

Same page. David Smith - referring to the Bank of Englands decision to leave interest rates unchanged at 5.75%............states the danger of food and energy prices increases keep inflation and interest rates too high for comfort ....

so it would seem from those two 'experts' that an ECB and BOE interest rate cut is on the cards. 'course they are not ministers, merely journalists.

take it to mean that they would like to reduce the interest rate but with food (and oil) adding to inflation are unable to do so at present.

I am a good active customer of Rabo (Savings and Investments) . I can assure them if their rates are not competitive in 2008 then I will be walking too.

Certainly if Rabo's rate won't be so good I'll move most of my money away as well but I'll keep my account open because of their good rating on security.

Three of us discussed this last night and agreed that we would all move if Rabo became even less competitive.

Rabo have already lost some ground to First Active (5.22% for total deposit up to 15000; 4.33% if total greater than15000).

Can you take 10 minutes to complete our short RaboDirect Customer Questionnaire? If you do, you could be one of 5 lucky RaboDirect customers to win a €200 deposit into your RaboDirect Savings Account.
I received an email from Rabo - above is an extract. It's lengthy but there is an opportunity to say what you don't like about Rabo. I said I wasn't at all happy with their savings rate over €10,000 and that Rabo didn't compare favourably with other banks. Maybe if everyone makes their complaint/s on this questionaire they might listen;)

Just had a thought - maybe the survey is a random sample so not everyone will receive that questionaire. Has anyone else received it? Anyway since Rabo posts on AAM complaining here is probably as good a way to go.

Last edited:
Sherib, just after filling out the survey and yes, I pointed out the very same issues as you mentioned.

What about NR's rates going up they've ben static for a good while now and after being market leaders for a long time are now fairly uncompetitive.

might have to move more funds from there than already planning to! ;)

i too have a large deposit and investments with rabo as i find their on line facility very good...... saying that others are catching up and will have no hesitation in moving money to where it will attract a better rate in 08.

Back