Where to save in 2008

SS expert

So Rabo are reducing there rate on the 1/1/08

AIB regular savings acc is changing to the ECB rate on the 1/1/08
in Feb EBS regular savings acc is changing to the ECB rate,

anyonw know whats the deal with norhtern rock etc?

So Rabo are reducing there rate on the 1/1/08

AIB regular savings acc is changing to the ECB rate on the 1/1/08
in Feb EBS regular savings acc is changing to the ECB rate,

anyonw know whats the deal with norhtern rock etc?

Where did you hear that rabo were changing their rate?

It doesn't say they will change it for sure though so nobody knows what will happen.

Yes - but the default in the absence of any statement to the contrary is that the rate will fall.

Rabo may reduce their rate, gambling that inertia of some depositers and their superior online systems will minimise the movement of funds to the likes of First Active and others who have raised the ante in recent months.

I hope that when Northern Rock are rebranded that they might inject some more competition into the market.

As things stand Rabo will reduce their rate - although it's not clear from their website what their "standard variable rate" is (is it 3.75% or maybe even 2.75% mentioned [broken link removed]?).

"The rate will be reviewed for January. At the moment we are stating that it will revert to our standard variable rate of 3.75%. However it is possible it may stay the same but as January is still a good while away it is too soon to give a figure at this stage." Email from Rabo Customer Services.

Thanks - so the de facto situation is that their rate will fall from 5% to 3.75%. In the absence of any authoritative statement to the contrary that is all that we can go on in the context of the original query. [broken link removed] guarantee at least the ECB base rate (currently 4%) until 2009. I guess that some of the rate guarantees are already listed in the Financial Best Buys forum lists? If not then perhaps it would be a good idea to collate such info and annotate the lists with it?

EBS are not due to revert to the lower ECB rate until 1/4/08,
Anglo Irish and Bank of Ireland and now First Active will be the best
deposit a/c's

anglo's 30 day notice account guarantees to match ECB til 1/1/09. No idea about their easy access or 10 day notice accounts.

RaboDirect rates - 2008

We are in the midst of planning for 2008. We won't comment on any proposed changes to rates on our demand account until December. RaboDirect has been a very competitive player since our launch in 2005 and will continue to offer our customers an attractive combination of rate, superior online security, access to funds backed by a AAA-rated bank.

Interest on Saving Certs and Savings Bonds have recently been increased by the NMTA (?) and are tax free. Haven't considered moving from FA myself yet but if they drop next year might well do. Don't think the ECB rate will decrease this year or early next ( German inflation). The FA rate (with strings) is around 4.50 for over €15000 and without strings but a lot of difficulty is 5%

Re: RaboDirect rates - 2008

We are in the midst of planning for 2008. We won't comment on any proposed changes to rates on our demand account until December. RaboDirect has been a very competitive player since our launch in 2005 and will continue to offer our customers an attractive combination of rate, superior online security, access to funds backed by a AAA-rated bank.
Thanks for the sales pitch! :rolleyes:

And will you continue to send spam to non customers as well to tell them all about this great stuff?

Brendan

Dear Rabodirect, a few days ago I got an e-mail to my "rabo account" stating some changes in the T&Cs. There was a link to your web-page with the T&Cs but no mention about which changes occurred (!!!).

Could you please be a bit more "transparent" when you change the T&Cs by specifying which ones you changed ?

Last edited:
I rang Rabo today. after I finally clicked that I could earn more on my savings elsewhere ( i know, customer inertia). I was told they will be reviewing their rates in December. Surely they will have to go up, to keep up with the first actives and anglo irish banks of this world!

Well at the moment the only indication we have (on their website) is that their rates will go down.

There was a piece on the radio this morning indicating that the ECB interest rate may even be lowered due to how the Euro is performing.

There was a piece on the radio this morning indicating that the ECB interest rate may even be lowered due to how the Euro is performing.
Really? I doubt that very much. Maybe some construction/real estate commentator hoping against hope but the Eurozone economies have been very strong of late.

Back