When will Hotels in Ireland cop on..

Z

z101

I want to take my wife away for a weekend in mid October for her birthday, with maybe a couple of treatments included. However after a cursery look from Wexford to Donegal, Kerry to Galway I am amazed that these places are calling 2 nights in their 4* hotels with an evening meal, a couple of treatments (with use of the leisure facilities for 'no extra charge'!!) for €500+ for 2 people A SPECIAL OFFER!

Can anyone out there recommend a nice spot thats come down to the real world yet??
and please done talk to me about overheads, wages etc, as I'm sure the wages are the same when rooms lay empty.

Looking for a good promotion.

La Manga Club in Spain has a 4 night offer currently for 220 including golf and you can swop the golf for spa treatment or dinner. Maybe you need to fly to a different country

Just booked a weekend in Edinburgh for weekend in Oct - Aerlingus flights from Dublin €160 for 2 & Ellersly House Hotel €130 B&B.

We are going to a wedding in Enfield next weekend the price for 1 night B&B in the Marriott €160 - booked a guest house instead - Hotels would want to cop-on!!

Its madness to book a hotel for a wedding I think anyway, sure you are only in the room for about 6 to 8 hours while asleep! Its not as if you are there for any extended period. I was at a wedding in Trim last week and got BnB for the night for €35 per person. I couldnt get up for breakfast but it was still much better value than any hotel!

I have been searching for similiar package for mid Oct. Was shocked by supposed deals!All 5star luxury deals were 500-700euro. Eventually got 2nights b&b (no extras) at Hayfield Manor, Cork city for 238euro. Plenty of decent places around to eat out so can splash out or go on shoestring, depending on mood.

Yes, I fully agree with ''when will hotels in Ireland'' cop on. I am going to a wedding next week. The hotel has quoted me a special offer of €160 bed and breakfast for a room for the night. The following week the same hotel is on supervalue breaks, 2 nights bed and breakfast and 1 evening meal for €109 per person. Just because I am going to a wedding there I am charged an inflated amount. Needless to say I have booked a guesthouse down the road for €40 per person bed and breakfast.

I have to say I was disgusted at the lack of value in hotels. I am going on a break to NI next week instead. Donegal was particularly poor with a lot of faker baker tripadvisor entries for supposed 4* hotels. Prices were way too high and it didn't look as if there was too much value to be had. One particular hotel I won't mention looked like a complete joke. Everyone except one or two posters with a number of reviews (1 to 2* ratings for the particular hotel) was exhibiting North Korean levels of amazement at how great the hotel was but none of the posters had been anywhere else. They also sounded like a marketing executive who knew the name of every suite and bar in the place. Nothing rang true.

if you join pigsback.com you can book good special offer for the G hotel in Galway with them. When I was looking a few months back it was 300 euro for 2 nights including breakfast and a dinner - didn't include treatments though. Also, you could stay in Incydoney in Cork in a private apartment and then just get treatments and meals in hotel.

The UK might be a good place to go now with the pound/euro near parity. Food not so great though.

I was looking for a hotel in Donegal in May this year and in the end I chose to stay in Enniskillen, far better value than anywhere that I could find in Donegal. I had a very pleasant and reasonably priced stay at the Westville Hotel. I know that OP mentioned somewhere with treatments etc available, I dont think they had anything like that but it is certainly worth a look. I was browsing hotels recently online and one well known hotel in Kilkenny had 'bargain' rooms reduced from 400 euro per night :rolleyes:-I didnt even bother to check what the reduced price was. I think the reality of the recession does not seem to have dawned on some hotel owners-yet.

you could try checking the pages on aertel- they often have good offers on for hotel breaks..
also have you tried ringing the hotels direct?- we did that recently- saying we were planning a particular weekend away and what was their best price...we got cheaper deal than advertised this way...

We're all agreed then - we're still being ripped off??? Not trying to be flippant, it's just that we all want to get value for money these days (personally I always wanted value for money), the supermarkets & trades people were quick enough to cop on but other areas are still to catch up - chemists, doctors, dentists etc.

I've stayed in two hotels recently, and thought it was great value!

59 Euro for a room, for a couple.. less than 30 each, so cheaper than a taxi home from town, and definitely more fun. That was the Marlon I think, near Citywest.

We also stayed in the d Hotel about a month ago, the sister hotel of the g hotel in Galway... it was quite nice, 69 Euros I think for the room, split between two people, again pretty good value I thought...

We don't get dinner or breakfast, just the room.

I agree that we're being ripped off. We have started looking for a hotel in Ireland for Christmas (just for 2 nights). As we have no children and particular reason to stay at home we thought we'd treat ourselves and go away on 24th, returning on 26th. I know that prices at Christmas will be at a premium but some places are asking up to 600 EACH for the two nights. This includes dinner on 24th and 25th and all sorts of champagne breakfasts etc etc., but still ... it's only 2 nights after all.

We think we will choose the Lough Rynn which is offering the two nights, dinner on both days, buffet tea on Christmas Day, mulled wine reception 24th, champagne ....... blah blah blah ... for 598 for the TWO of us! It's still a lot of money but great value compared to some of the others. I have no involvement with Lough Rynn by the way ... have never even seen it before.

This tread should be sent to every 'Quality' hotel in the country that offer packages.

I dont want to go the UK, and I do aggree with previous poster, I dont know what it is but the food always seems to of a substandard quality there. Maybe it's a palate difference, I couldn't stomach bitter either when I live there. But thats beside the point.

I was looking for a good value package and am amazed that hotels, many half empty still dont get wide to current conditions.
It reminds me of how Aer lingus used to sell seats on planes in the 80's by highly overcharging customers to pay for all the other empty seats on the same planes.

Supervalu have the luxury spa offer of €199 1 night or €285 2 nights, which includes €100 spa voucher which covers 2 people.

got a good deal in castleknock hotel & country club €89 for 2 nights b&b and 1 dinner
thats 20 euro cheaper than on the supervalu breaks and the spa treatments are reasonable

I also was looking for something a little special

I found THE HERITAGE HOTEL IN KILLINARD ( not the portlaoise one ) has a spa offer on at 199 each , for 2 nights and one dinner and use of spa.

Go into their site and look under specials

Other than this ...i couldnt find anything remotely pleasant but affordable

Good luck

If I took her to castleknock she'd divorce me. Was hoping for a bit of sourroundings folks not the westies of Blanch.

If I took her to castleknock she'd divorce me. Was hoping for a bit of sourroundings folks not the westies of Blanch.
It is actually in very pleasant surroundings, just down from Ben Dunne's house (not Dunnes Stores!).

While I agree that hotels need a grip of reality on their pricing, I have noticed significant improvements and openness to negotiation on pricing of commercial events (conferences etc). In the past, they were very much 'take it or leave it', but more recently they have been falling over themselves to get the business.

Room fees are minimal (e.g. €1k for a large conferencing suite for a day), lunch costs are sensible (€18-€20 for 2-course) and even the outrageous tea/coffee charges are down to a manageable €2.50 per head, and this was in a very new, stylish establishment in Dublin.

Back