What/What Not to Buy at Lidl/Aldi

Possibly the worst design of a product from Lidl is a "FURNITURE TRANSPORT SET". It is a set of wheels which slip under heavy furniture to allow it to be wheeled.
1... The wheels can only go in a straight line - every furniture move requires movement around corners or curves.
2... The wheels are tiny.. as a result, they will not move furniture over door saddles etc.
3... The device provided to lift the furniture when slipping the wheels under needs plenty of space beside the furniture (at both the start and finish points). There is almost never that kind of space beside furniture.

It cost €7.49 a few weeks ago. I could go on.....!!!

Look a the bright side - at least you probably got the furniture towards the door anyway right! :)

It would be really great if people would put the product name when mentioning the products...ie, the burgers/coffee in Aldi(there are numerous different burgers/coffee)

I would like to try some of the products mentioned here, SeaBass being one...but is it fresh frozen or what...

I would like to try some of the products mentioned here, SeaBass being one...but is it fresh frozen or what...

Eh Hello MandC, we are discussing Aldi/Lidl here. Not a fancy Deli or M&S. Saying that it is good quality.

try the ostrich in aldi absolutlely the business . you get 4 medallions for something like just over €5 . it tastes like fillet steak and even nearly more tender. will be getting it again. also the sea bass is great and the striploin , fillet and ribeye steaks are great

Mercman, I dont get your point about a deli...this post specifically mentions Seabass and other fancy enough stuff(dont come any fancier than ostrich, now!), which I would like to try the seabass, so thats why I said it, but it does not say fresh frozen, ie in chilled section or frozen,....I have tried some food eg coffees/ jars of sauce, but being more than one choice, have probably got the not so nice ones.... would like to know which exactly are the nice ones.....

Most of the fish is frozen. Which, if you can't get it straight from the boat is the best way to buy it according to Huge Fairlywhatshisname.

I like Aldi toothpaste + shower gels.

Aldi + Lidl porridge is fine.

I would not have the courage to try Aldi/Lidl shampoo

I swear about Aldi and Lidl. They ahve transformed the weekly shopping chores in both England and Ireland. However, last week when I was at Lidl, I forgot my bags and had to buy some. For a standard plastic bag I was charged 37 cents EACH. Kind of counter productive for cheaper shopping don't you think !!

I swear about Aldi and Lidl. They ahve transformed the weekly shopping chores in both England and Ireland. However, last week when I was at Lidl, I forgot my bags and had to buy some. For a standard plastic bag I was charged 37 cents EACH. Kind of counter productive for cheaper shopping don't you think !!

I thionk the Lidl bags are stronger than 'standard plastic bags'! Take dunne's white logo bags for example.... how many 'shops' would you get out of them?!?!

While I would, for other stores, be ranting about the appearance of a Christmas display in September, I'm happy to be a hypocrite in the case of LIDL :D !

Lebkuchen ! mmmmmm
Basini cherry liquers - keeps a smile on the missus' face ;)

Regarding the tea in Aldi/Lidl, yesterdays Independent did a survey and found that for taste and value Lidl came out tops with Aldi in 2nd place

Regarding the tea in Aldi/Lidl, yesterdays Independent did a survey and found that for taste and value Lidl came out tops with Aldi in 2nd place

Eh -bet no one from Cork was surveyed - 'tis Barrys tea all da way here boy by a long shot!

However, last week when I was at Lidl, I forgot my bags and had to buy some. For a standard plastic bag I was charged 37 cents EACH. Kind of counter productive for cheaper shopping don't you think !!
Don't forget that 22c of that is tax, so the bag was only 15c.

Getting back on topic, the Lidl Cien brand hand wash, water lilley scent, is relly nice and comes in a bigger size than usual hand wash containers.

I buy the orange and apple juice in Lidl, their brown bread baps are lovely and I buy the cat litter there which is 'dirt':) cheap (pardon pun). I used to buy the toilet rolls but they blocked up my loo. Just stick to the 2 layered type and the kitchen roll. I find the fruit &veg are normally very fresh and tasty. Icecream nice too...bleaches & dishwasher tabs are good.,well bleach is bleach isnt it?

You make it sound like that's a good thing!

Personally I believe that if you choose to bring your custom to a store, they should give large paper bags or make some effort to assist rather than try to << >>.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hardly in the case of a discounter. None of the supermarket chains gives out largepaper bags. Not that they'd be a lot of use for grocery shopping. 15c for a strong plastic bag which will last months is hardly a rip-off.

You'll remember to bring your bags next time!

Back