What/What Not to Buy at Lidl/Aldi

And Aldi's Tikka Masala curry sauce is by far the best I've found in any supermarket. I think it's much better than all the big name ones.
I agree completely....plus the Korma and balti sauces are great...and I think they are only about 1€ per jar.

Aldi - "Heavenly Deserts" brand - frozen strudel 3 flavours - had the mixed berries and custard - €1.49 - it was lovely

I've been eating curry for over 40 years and in that time have had some great and not-so-great ones. Lidl's deep frozen, made up curries are brilliant. Balti (which was made purely for the English palate) is very good and the pilau rice that is included is excellent. I recently tried a Tesco (Merrion) Curried Lamb Shank including pilau rice and it was gorgeous. Only eight or nine hours to go! Yummy yummy. :) A few bottles of Cobra an hour or so before the feast help to control the emotions ;) and emoticons :);):D:cool:

Aldi's Angus Steaks are divine too! Not cheap at €11.99 for two striploins but they're the kind of steaks you wouldn't complain at being €25+ for in a restaurant.

On special offer at the moment for €9.99

i've been eating curry for over 40 years and in that time have had some great and not-so-great ones. Lidl's deep frozen, made up curries are brilliant. Balti (which was made purely for the english palate) is very good and the pilau rice that is included is excellent. I recently tried a tesco (merrion) curried lamb shank including pilau rice and it was gorgeous. Only eight or nine hours to go! Yummy yummy. :) a few bottles of cobra an hour or so before the feast help to control the emotions ;) and emoticons :);):d:cool:

Good one! :D ;) :D

It would actually help when people are putting up the recommendations if they were specific to names of goods.

For example - coffee is good in Lidl is not really helpful because there are so many different types and knowing me I would buy the rotten one.

Hi MandaC. There is only one brand ....... Kan*Pur. Lower in salt and fat than the ones on the cool shelf. The Nan bread is also v good.

i must agree on the ready made curry. I usually shop in aldi but go to Lidl once every few weeks to stock up on these.

iirc there are 4 different ones and they're all delicious. We get the frozen indian snacks (samosas & bhajis) and naan bread too.

the frozen spring rolls are yummy too.

Hi MandaC. There is only one brand ....... Kan*Pur. Lower in salt and fat than the ones on the cool shelf. The Nan bread is also v good.

Bought a chicken tikka jar in Aldi today, dont think that is the brand...worldwide or something...probably manky

Lidl is the shop. Have you been at the cooking sherry?

No, the Badgers Creek...

Because some people are on about Lidl and others Aldi ......it is easy to confuse the two.....Will see how it works out....will probably be moaning next week if its awful and back to SQ

Bought a chicken tikka jar in Aldi today, dont think that is the brand...worldwide or something...probably manky

Blasphemy, sacrilege and, (in the words of Comical Ali), cowardly lies! :D ;)

Seriously, though, Aldi's Tikka Masala sauce (glass jar) is the finest I've come across. :)

Was in Lidl today and was going yo buy bananas but didn't as all of them were quite warm to the touch and the bags in which they were packed had condensation on the inside of them, can anyone enlighten me as to why this would be.

Have you tried the king prawn kebabs from ALDI?

Seriously good!
I squeezed some lime juice over while cooking.
And very reasonable at €3.99 for 4 kebabs..

Nicola

The prawns are raw king prawns too (as opposed to the cooked ones, which just wouldn't work in this).
Delish!

Nicola

Went shopping in Aldi this evening about 5pm and I could get over the amount of shoppers there compared to the same time a few months ago.

Anyone else finding this?

I agree about more shoppers. I parked in Aldi last week and was parked beside 07/08 Merc's BMW's, Audi's cars etc which was I did not notice before

Back