wedding cash gift - how much?

bb12

How much would be the appropriate amount to give for a wedding present (cash) if you were invited as a single person (without the usual " + guest")?

I suppose it would depend on how well you knew the couple, If it was a close friend I would think it would be a lot more than a work colleague for example.

My mate got married a while ago and I gave him 200 euro. My sister got married last year and between three of us at home we gave her and her hubby a grand.

Give what you can afford and give what you would expect to receive yourself from that person.

Hope this helped.

There are several threads on this issue already which might be worth browsing or searching (when available again) for...

If you were invited without the + guest, the hosts are a tad mean methinks, send them an invoice for... your outfit, the hotel accomodation, stag/hen weekend costs, time off work etc. could be a nice earn earner!

Honestly I hope i don't sound mean but i would suggest €50 voucher and leave it at that. It is costing you to attend but then again they (hopefully) are not inviting you for your present but for your company. i reckon €50 is fine, but i am open to correction.

I have to agree. I think its a disgrace the way people expect their guests to pay for their wedding with cash gifts.

This can be a catch 22.
At my wedding, my wife and I said to our friends that we didn't want any wedding presents. We had a lovely small wedding at a relatively low budget. However friends and relatatives kept going on about how they couldn't attend and not give something....so we said sure just give us some cash. We recieved anything from nothing to 200 euros. Of course we were very chuffed....even for those who didnt give us anything because they took the time and effort to come to our gig.
I think it is entirely up to you and how close you are with the bride and groom. Wedding is about celebration...I dont think the presents come into it.

Sunster said:
This can be a catch 22.
At my wedding, my wife and I said to our friends that we didn't want any wedding presents. We had a lovely small wedding at a relatively low budget. However friends and relatatives kept going on about how they couldn't attend and not give something....so we said sure just give us some cash. We recieved anything from nothing to 200 euros. Of course we were very chuffed....even for those who didnt give us anything because they took the time and effort to come to our gig.
I think it is entirely up to you and how close you are with the bride and groom. Wedding is about celebration...I dont think the presents come into it.

Hear hear. This is a breath of fresh air. The best weddings I have been at have been the low key affairs. You don't hear much about them though, as so many want the big showy-offy wedding rather than getting your friends and family around to celebrate the day you commit to the person you love.

i think 100 euros is sufficient and you will have a great day out. if you went to a good restaurant and to a club afterwards, you wouldn't have much change out of 100 euros. also, maybe you might meet some fund interesting people there - bonus.

We've been to lots of weddings and got married ourselves last year and the standard is giving cash (as everyone needs this to help pay for the wedding). 100 euro if you attend the full wedding and 50 euro if you only attend the afters. That's from a couple. I guess as a single person I would think 50 euro for either the afters or the whole thing would be fair. Why should you have to pay extra for being single!

I think that it all depends on your financial circumstances and your relationship with the couple getting married. The idea is not that you are paying for your day out. The idea is to help the couple to get a start in life and if you can afford to be a bit more generous then you should.

I'd give €150 usually as a couple, so half that! If it was a a very good friend it might be more or obviously a present of roughly that value with a gift receipt. I think its quite mean of the host not to invite a plus one...

I think between €50 and €100 for a single. Or maybe you could pick up a nice photo frame or something like that (in the sales if possible) and give a present instead of cash - really depends on your own circumstances. As long as you don't go over what you can afford yourself - I would like to think that any couple getting married would hate it if they knew someone was scrimping to put the cash together.

Honestly I hope i don't sound mean but i would suggest €50 voucher and leave it at that. It is costing you to attend but then again they (hopefully) are not inviting you for your present but for your company. i reckon €50 is fine, but i am open to correction.

I second that. Some people expect too much nowadays, its a materialistic society. 50 euro more than covers the cost of the meal.

The whole idea behind the wedding gift used to be to help the couple set up a home and a life together. These days people generally have their kettles and toasters etc and usually a home.
I think these days one should aim to leave them start their married life without debts associated with the costs of ther wedding.
I have always given 200 euro cheques as gifts.
I'm now getting married myself in a few months and have been asked by a few close friends what I would like. Some are of the same mindset as myself and are happy to give cash or vouchers. I couldn't believe it when one of my closest friends was appalled by this. He wants to buy me some piece of crap gift. I thought he knew what I was about!!? He must have been disgusted by the cheque I gave him.
I dont mind more distant relatives etc giving me whatever they like but I would hope those closer to me will give a cheque. I have absoultely no interest whatsoever at any time in glass/picture frames/blah blah blah.
If I want them (and I never will), I'll buy them myself.

I couldn't believe it when one of my closest friends was appalled by this. He wants to buy me some piece of crap gift.

Maybe your "friend" want to give you something special that you will think of him fondly whenever you look at it....rather than cash which will go straight into your bank account.

I had a cousin give me a lovely pasta dish, he has since passed away....but I get to think of him every time I use the dish.

My idea of a wedding is that you get to share the day with the people who are important to you rather than how much you can make. If you don't want to start married life with a load of debt, then plan a day you can afford - it is not necessary to spend €20 - 30k on a single day.

I'm not thinking how much I'll make. People will want to give something and I don't want or need anything. Thus I'll take cash or vouchers preferrably. If I receive art or a toaster or such like I'll smile and thank them I guess. I only hope I can do it convincingly.

The friend is being influenced by his wife I think. He's not the same fella he was 10 years ago!

Any particular reason a 2 year old thread was re-activated despite a multi-page thread on this just weeks ago?

I'm not thinking how much I'll make. People will want to give something and I don't want or need anything. Thus I'll take cash or vouchers preferrably. If I receive art or a toaster or such like I'll smile and thank them I guess. I only hope I can do it convincingly.

If you don't want or need anything why don't you ask people to make a donation to a charity of your or their choce.

Back