"We must dismantle our culture of dependency"

John was a Painter and got let go. He is unmarried with 3 kids and had a mortgage before he became unemployed. He would get €188 a week not working. His Partner also gets €188 as she does not work. Children allowance at €105 a week child benefit. Thats €481 a week tax free. €25 k a year. 2 Painting nixers a month say at €300 each on average. Thats around 32K a year.

http://www.payscale.com/research/IE/Job=Painter/Hourly_Rate Max a painter makes in full time work is €40k before tax.

John is not going to work 40hrs a week for a little more the a few hours a month.

How can Ireland chance this without putting the children in a poverty trap?

Back to work allowance ?

Drop €188 by €1 a month until a job is found?

Retrain using Fas for a job that companies need?

Pay working people better so people want to work?

Minimum income for all in the country any work is extra earnings?

With a 5 year turn around in the Dail they don't have the will to think 10 years from now. it will take forward planing and thinking that I feel is beyond the system we have.

Out of the box thing any body ???

But he won't be doing it for a few quid more.

If John went back to work and earned 769 per week (40k), then this is approx 32k net or 615 per week.

John is now eligible for FIS to make up 60% of the difference between €713 - so approximately 60 Euro, leaving them with 675 per week net.

With FIS eligibility comes other payments, such as Back to school allowances, medical card and he has no childcare costs as his wife is at home.

675 net is approximately 45k a year.
Plus the 105 per week Child benefit.

Last edited:

Solutions to what?
The topic is about dismantling the 'culture of welfare dependency' based on a (misinterpretated) report that said 77% of households are funding the other 23%.

My neighbour, who is a nurse, gave up her job to look after her elderly parents. She is dependent on a carers allowance. If she didnt have that she would have to go back to work and the State would have to foot the bill in an elderly home as her wages wouldn't come close to affording.
If this is the culture of welfare dependency that you want to dismantle then you can go and jump!
If on the other hand, its only the likes of our Johnny that you want to target, then go for it - but be warned, the amount of money you will clawback will be miniscule compared to what you may need to spend in the provision of other social services.

Solutions to dismantle the "culture of welfare dependency".

My neighbour, who is a nurse, gave up her job to look after her elderly parents. She is dependent on a carers allowance. If she didnt have that she would have to go back to work and the State would have to foot the bill in an elderly home as her wages wouldn't come close to affording.

That is carers allowance, the nurse is working in the home caring for her elderly parent's.

If on the other hand, its only the likes of our Johnny that you want to target, then go for it - but be warned, the amount of money you will clawback will be miniscule compared to what you may need to spend in the provision of other social services.

But you objected to targetting him did you not - you want to leave him at it?

You spent a lot of time discussing Johnny, so what is your solution.

And our new guest John, what about if John turned down the 40k job?

As I'm a new user ....

Hi,

I take you at your word, however your opinions, language and debating style very much resemble a contributor to who used to frequent these parts and went by the monikers Complainer and RainyDay. Interestingly there is a poster on Boards who goes by RainyDay and SerialComplaint too with the same opinions / style! Thankfully though you are obviously not the same person as you have replied to both myself and Purple numerous times!!

In any case, you have been asked by myself and ppmeath what your solution is regarding the general theme of the thread by ppmeath and about Johnny by myself (seeing as you asked this question yourself). We and everyone else have all provided ours.

It's very easy to stand at the sidelines and criticise other people but until you offer your own solution, how can anyone really take what you say seriously?

And please, no more answering questions with questions...that's not how adults debate!

Just for kicks, this is starting to remind me of this ole chestnut; http://www.askaboutmoney.com/thread...lic-service-reform.154119/page-3#post-1226457 and http://www.askaboutmoney.com/thread...lic-service-reform.154119/page-3#post-1226825

So, one more time; What should we do about Johnny?

Firefly.

Last edited:
Solutions to dismantle the "culture of welfare dependency".

That is carers allowance, the nurse is working in the home caring for her elderly parent's.

But you objected to targetting him did you not - you want to leave him at it?

You spent a lot of time discussing Johnny, so what is your solution.

And our new guest John, what about if John turned down the 40k job?

The carers allowance makes up some of 23% being 'funded' by the other 77%. This was posted under the title of this topic. Are you telling me that this welfare benefit is not included in the agenda here to dismantle welfare 'dependency'?

If so, you are going to have to clarify what is and what is not included - and duly revise those (misinterpreted) figures.

You can target Johnny all you want, but be warned, the clawback on welfare will be miniscule relative to other social provisions you will have to pay for.

You have made this argument a few times now, essentially that Johnny may turn to crime if his dole is cut. Why do you have such a low opinion of those who are on social welfare?

The carers allowance makes up some of 23% being 'funded' by the other 77%. This was posted under the title of this topic. Are you telling me that this welfare benefit is not included in the agenda here to dismantle welfare 'dependency'?

If so, you are going to have to clarify what is and what is not included - and duly revise those (misinterpreted) figures.

You can target Johnny all you want, but be warned, the clawback on welfare will be miniscule relative to other social provisions you will have to pay for.

You provide the revised figures, as you are the one disputing them. I'm not saying anything about the carer's allowance. because I do not consider the nurse to be welfare dependent, I consider this nurse to be caring for her parent's and of course, that saves the state - but I would also imagine that her parents do not want to leave their home and their daughter, first and foremost, is taking their needs into consideration, before any savings she is making for the state.

You have been asked to provide a solution for Johnny, because yes, Johnny will be a target if he refuses all offers of work and/or training - you have been asked what we should do about Johnny, so I am all ears.

Edit to add - There will be no savings on Johnny, because if Johnny turns to crime rather then take up all offers of work and/or training - then it is my opinion, that this is where he is headed anyway.

Any costs to the state are as a result of his decision to turn to crime - if he does, then he must accept the consequences.

It's sad that your neighbour cannot return to work or would be worse off in doing so.... on numerous levels - professional carers would arguably do a better job and your neighbour wouldn't have such a gap on their CV. Don't you think Johnny has to take some of the blame here though? For example, take the next 50 euro the government must borrow to run the country....where should this go; to either the carers who can look after the elderly, the hospital who has 90 year old ladies on trolleys in A&E or.....to Johnny so he can buy the latest World of Warcraft for his X-box?

What should we do about Johnny?

You have made this argument a few times now, essentially that Johnny may turn to crime if his dole is cut. Why do you have such a low opinion of those who are on social welfare?

I dont have a low opinion of those on social welfare. I have a high opinion of anyone who tries their best one way or another. If it should happen that those people fall on hard times, lose their job, minding elderly or disabled persons.

People who post reports claiming 77% of households fund the other 23% under a banner that says 'dismantle our culture of welfare dependency' are the ones who have no respect for welfare recipients. Those that cheer lead behind them have no respect for workers who have lost their jobs, for carers who save the state a fortune.

As for Johnny, he is a tosser, but there is always one. But I wouldn't support dismantling vital welfare provisions for the vast majority on foot of the (in)actions of the few.

It's sad that your neighbour cannot return to work or would be worse off in doing so.... on numerous levels - professional carers would arguably do a better job and your neighbour wouldn't have such a gap on their CV. Don't you think Johnny has to take some of the blame here though? For example, take the next 50 euro the government must borrow to run the country....where should this go; to either the carers who can look after the elderly, the hospital who has 90 year old ladies on trolleys in A&E or.....to Johnny so he can buy the latest World of Warcraft for his X-box?

What should we do about Johnny?

I was going to make the very same point.

I dont have a low opinion of those on social welfare. I have a high opinion of anyone who tries their best one way or another. If it should happen that those people fall on hard times, lose their job, minding elderly or disabled persons.

People who post reports claiming 77% of households fund the other 23% under a banner that says 'dismantle our culture of welfare dependency' are the ones who have no respect for welfare recipients. Those that cheer lead behind them have no respect for workers who have lost their jobs, for carers who save the state a fortune.

As for Johnny, he is a tosser, but there is always one. But I wouldn't support dismantling vital welfare provisions for the vast majority on foot of the (in)actions of the few.

There is not one poster who would disagree with you, but I do think that you jumped to conclusions that simply were not there, and you are adding in disabled people and those who have genuinely fallen on hard times, as if they were targeted - when in fact, I did not see one poster (maybe I missed posts) making any argument or even mentioning such people.

These people aren't welfare dependent, they are victims of circumstance and we absolutely should provide a secure safety net.

By the same token there is a demographic that exists who abuse the system and it's not a small cost because it's not just 188 a week as I explained to you in an earlier post.

It is a cost across the board and if our limited resources are going there, then as firefly highlighted, they are not going to people who are genuinely in need of supports.

Those that cheer lead behind them have no respect for workers who have lost their jobs, for carers who save the state a fortune.

I don't think anyone has said otherwise. Those that lose their jobs should receive higher dole than those who have never worked. Carers deserve all the welfare they receive. In fact, if it wasn't for Johnny and his ilk there would be a lot more funds available for the elderly - it comes from the same pot!

We've established you think he's a tosser, but (somewhat expectantly) you still haven't answered the question you have asked others....

What do we do about Johnny?

There is not one poster who would disagree with you, but I do think that you jumped to conclusions that simply were not there, and you are adding in disabled people and those who have genuinely fallen on hard times, as if they were targeted - when in fact, I did not see one poster (maybe I missed posts) making any argument or even mentioning such people.

These people aren't welfare dependent, they are victims of circumstance and we absolutely should provide a secure safety net.

By the same token there is a demographic that exists who abuse the system and it's not a small cost because it's not just 188 a week as I explained to you in an earlier post.

It is a cost across the board and if our limited resources are going there, then as firefly highlighted, they are not going to people who are genuinely in need of supports.

F

Well we are going to have to define what is 'welfare dependent' and what is not. Because in my book a person or household whose only source of income is social welfare, is welfare dependent.
This is in line with the report headline at the start of this topic, that apparently identified (incorrectly) that 23% of households were jobless. This would include a household where elderly people are being cared for (unpaid) full-time.

I would suggest re-reading the opening posts in this topic that fell behind the topic title. The tone of which are about welfare fraud and nixers, and in no way considered the genuine plight of thousands of families in this country.

Nevertheless, I am now assuming that the jobless household report is discredited? I also assume that the focus of 'welfare dependency' is on our friend Johnny how to deal with him?

Btw, Firefly, it was me that posted that question first "what do we do about Johnny"? I got no answer either.

I dont know what we do about Johnny. But what I would do is provide unemployment benefit to workers equal to their last wage, subject to limits. This would reduce incrementally encouraging a return to work when available.
This might, just might, motivate someone like Johnny to consider employment in the future.
If it doesn't, then I still would not take his welfare away. My view, expressed plenty of times already, is that an individual like johnny would choose cheap and easy money before he had to go to work. As such dismantling his welfare would most likely push him into cheap and easy crime rather than into work. As such, it may cost the taxpayer more in the provision of social services than it would in the clawback of welfare from Johnny. I would also estimate that Johnny is a tiny minority. For sure, there are community blackspots with high unemployment, but even within those communities, most welfare recipients would jump at the chance of financial independence.

The people who build their lives around welfare are the small minority of recipients. So for instance, if the initial report read 3%-4% of jobless households have a culture of welfare dependency, then perhaps we could have a more meaningful discussion.
But even within those households their are social difficulties that are not always the fault of the recipient.
For instance, the Traveller community has a traditionally high rate of welfare dependency. But they have also faced a tradition of discrimination that makes it hard to get employment.
People with poor social skills, or with conditions such as downs syndrome, aspergers or autism may also find difficulties in gaining employment. Its easy to say 'go get a job', but in order to take a job there needs to be a job offer.
All these people make up the collective 'welfare dependency' that some people want to dismantle.
But when you dig deep into circumstances of welfare dependency, it is far from straightforward.

Hi,

I take you at your word, however your opinions, language and debating style very much resemble a contributor to who used to frequent these parts and went by the monikers Complainer and RainyDay. Interestingly there is a poster on Boards who goes by RainyDay and SerialComplaint too with the same opinions / style! Thankfully though you are obviously not the same person as you have replied to both myself and Purple numerous times!!

In any case, you have been asked by myself and ppmeath what your solution is regarding the general theme of the thread by ppmeath and about Johnny by myself (seeing as you asked this question yourself). We and everyone else have all provided ours.

It's very easy to stand at the sidelines and criticise other people but until you offer your own solution, how can anyone really take what you say seriously?

And please, no more answering questions with questions...that's not how adults debate!

Just for kicks, this is starting to remind me of this ole chestnut; http://www.askaboutmoney.com/thread...lic-service-reform.154119/page-3#post-1226457 and http://www.askaboutmoney.com/thread...lic-service-reform.154119/page-3#post-1226825

So, one more time; What should we do about Johnny?

Firefly.

I dont know who any of those people are and I clicked on one of your links and its weird how you monitor people. You should get out more.

Well we are going to have to define what is 'welfare dependent' and what is not. Because in my book a person or household whose only source of income is social welfare, is welfare dependent.

Which is actually not what it is at all to me, maybe if I knew that your interpretation was actually different, then we could have avoided the misunderstandings.

This is in line with the report headline at the start of this topic, that apparently identified (incorrectly) that 23% of households were jobless. This would include a household where elderly people are being cared for (unpaid) full-time.

But your interpretation of welfare dependency is not the same as mine.

I would suggest re-reading the opening posts in this topic that fell behind the topic title. The tone of which are about welfare fraud and nixers, and in no way considered the genuine plight of thousands of families in this country.

Why, what am I looking for specifically? If you look up the definition of welfare dependency it may clarify the issue for you.

I dont know what we do about Johnny. But what I would do is provide unemployment benefit to workers equal to their last wage, subject to limits. This would reduce incrementally encouraging a return to work when available.
This might, just might, motivate someone like Johnny to consider employment in the future.

As in Germany, for example. Where they do this for 9 months, and then reduce it to a "living wage" - so as not to encourage "welfare dependency".

People with poor social skills, or with conditions such as downs syndrome, aspergers or autism may also find difficulties in gaining employment. Its easy to say 'go get a job', but in order to take a job there needs to be a job offer.

These people are disabled, they would not be classed as on the dole or welfare dependent - I would suggest you look it up.

All these people make up the collective 'welfare dependency' that some people want to dismantle.

Not at all, that is where you jumped to the conclusions that you did. That you believe they make up the "collective 'welfare dependency', is because your interpretation of the subject is not the same as mine.

Edit - to accept posters interpretation of subject.

I dont know who any of those people are and I clicked on one of your links and its weird how you monitor people. You should get out more.

I don't monitor people at all, just quite observant so I am. Mammy always said I had a great pair of eyes. My social life is quite healthy too and thanks for the advice but isn't it sad you had to get personal?

Which is actually not what it is at all to me, maybe if I knew that your interpretation was actually different, then we could have avoided the misunderstandings.

But your interpretation of welfare dependency is not the same as mine.

Why, what am I looking for specifically? If you look up the definition of welfare dependency it may clarify the issue for you.

As in Germany, for example. Where they do this for 9 months, and then reduce it to a "living wage" - so as not to encourage "welfare dependency".

These people are disabled, they would not be classed as on the dole or welfare dependent - I would suggest you look it up.

Not at all, that is where you jumped to the conclusions that you did. That you believe they make up the "collective 'welfare dependency', is because your interpretation of the subject is not the same as mine.

Different to what? You haven't offered a definition of welfare dependency. And still havent. I did say already we are going to have to agree a definition of 'welfare dependency' otherwise we are going to be discussing different things.
But you still wont provide one??

Not all mentally of phyiscally people are automatically discounted for employment figures. Many are in receipt of a disabled allowance on top of their working wage. You shouldn't automatically presume that a disabled person is unemployable.
Ive worked with people in wheelchairs, and diagnosed with autism and aspergers. I also know two workers with downs syndrome working long term in a supermarket. All of these people will be entitled to claim unemployment benefit should they ever lose their jobs as all of them contribute social insurance payments from their wages.
It might not be convenient for your agenda but its this discriminatory attitude that tells me posters here havent a clue about welfare provisions when they talk about dismantling them. Its just not fair on the high earners who pay all the tax is it?

I take my views from the NESC report that was used to highlight (incorrectly) that 77% of households fund 23%. In that report you will find reference to jobless households due to illness/injury which also includes more severe examples of the conditions I mentioned above, and in such cases are not included in the unemployment figures

I don't monitor people at all, just quite observant so I am. Mammy always said I had a great pair of eyes. My social life is quite healthy too and thanks for the advice but isn't it sad you had to get personal?

I apologise for getting personal. It was just a quip, but nonetheless uncalled for.

I dont know what we do about Johnny.

Then why ask the rest of us?

But what I would do is provide unemployment benefit to workers equal to their last wage, subject to limits. This would reduce incrementally encouraging a return to work when available.

Agreed.

If it doesn't, then I still would not take his welfare away. My view, expressed plenty of times already, is that an individual like johnny would choose cheap and easy money before he had to go to work. As such dismantling his welfare would most likely push him into cheap and easy crime rather than into work.

Really? Johnny and those like him would most likely chose crime over work? You state this as a fact...anything to back this up?

As such, it may cost the taxpayer more in the provision of social services than it would in the clawback of welfare from
Johnny.

That's not an argument for keeping those who commit crime on the streets surely? What about the fella who beats up an 80 year old man for his wallet...it would be cheaper to keep him out of jail too wouldn't it?

The people who build their lives around welfare are the small minority of recipients.

I would love to agree with you and hope you are right. But can you provide anything to back up this fact?

People with poor social skills,

Social skills can be acquired. Sure, you mightn't be the salesman of the year, but there are plenty of jobs / roles out there where you don't need to interact with the general public and make a living.

or with conditions such as downs syndrome, aspergers or autism may also find difficulties in gaining employment. Its easy to say 'go get a job'

My heart goes out to people and their families who suffer from disabilities such as these and that's why we should have a welfare system. Nobody in their right mind would tell someone with a disability like this to "go get a job"

But again, where should the next 50 euro the government spends go - on the people and families aforementioned or to Johnny?

Back