Upcoming budget.

If there's one thing that grinds my gears .. :mad:.

The unions can not have the final yea or nay on decisions that the democratically elected national parliament make.

If the employer is broke and can no longer pay what was one paid, the opinion and sensitivities of the union are, IMHO, irrelevant.

+1 Tarfhead.

I don't necessarily agree, or at least I don't think it's a 50/50 split. If we can get the current spending under control we will look better to the bond markets and 3 gets easier. It’s the total cost over the period of the loan/bond that counts not it’s face value.

What I'm saying is that by (1) reducing the current spending deficit and (3) paying off the bill from the banking crisis then (2) the interest rates in the bond market will fall.

If there's one thing that grinds my gears .. :mad:.

The unions can not have the final yea or nay on decisions that the democratically elected national parliament make.

I
The democratically elections unions don't have the final yea or nay on decisions that the democratically elected national parliment make. They never did, and they never will, regardless of how may '+1's your post gets.

The democratically elections unions don't have the final yea or nay on decisions that the democratically elected national parliment make. They never did, and they never will, regardless of how may '+1's your post gets.

Unions are a lobby group and can stand in line with IBEC and Father Sean Healy and the rest.

Why do they get to block how the Government allocates resources, when the outcome of such allocations affects all of us, not just those who are in a union ?

What has 'democratically elections unions' (sic) go to do with anything ? The Dail is democratically elected. So too is the parent's committee in my children's school. I would not equate one with the other when it comes to how the country is governed.

Unions are a lobby group and can stand in line with IBEC and Father Sean Healy and the rest.
Fully agree.
Why do they get to block how the Government allocates resources
They don't get to block anything. They don't have a veto.

They are a stakeholder. The Govt has two choices;

1) Take the macho approach, impose a solution without any discussion or engagement, and then wonder why the whole thing blows up 6-12 months down the line or worse, fails to deliver results 3-5 years down the line.

2) Engage with stakeholders, identify shared goals, work towards consensus on how to achieve those goals, implement, reap the rewards.

Most AAM posters seem to prefer the macho option, for no good reason other than revenge. In general, it is better to bring people with you on any change management issue than to impose solutions from on top.

Most AAM posters seem to prefer the macho option, for no good reason other than revenge. In general, it is better to bring people with you on any change management issue than to impose solutions from on top.

Bertie and Co. have being taking option '2' for the last 15+ years and look at where it got us.

They are a stakeholder. The Govt has two choices;

1) Take the macho approach, impose a solution without any discussion or engagement, and then wonder why the whole thing blows up 6-12 months down the line or worse, fails to deliver results 3-5 years down the line.

2) Engage with stakeholders, identify shared goals, work towards consensus on how to achieve those goals, implement, reap the rewards.

Yet we. the people, seem to get the worst of both

Engage with stakeholders .. fails to deliver results 3-5 years down the line

"Insanity is repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results"

Bertie and Co. have being taking option '2' for the last 15+ years and look at where it got us.

The only thing they've been engaging on is pay.

This is something I've always found odd. It appears from the outside that 90% of union discussions with employers were pay or benefits related. I'd blame both employers and unions equally for this.

A large body representing employees should also be providing a pro-active forum for improving work practices (involving suggesting better ones as opposed to blindly resisting new ones). I think most people would agree that work practices are as big (or bigger) a source of frustration than remuneration levels

Back