Upcoming budget.

Why should we change our whole tax system just to make people more conscious? What benefit will arise from that?

The benefit of collective responsibility. But that is not the only reason to change our tax system. We need radical changes in how we run this country. Otherwise we will just sink slowly to the bottom. Small steps are only plasters on gaping wounds. I think the country is ready for some bold new leadership, instead of more of the 'same auld, same auld'. Why not start with the tax system? Make it fairer for all, more transparant, and much easier to manage.

A flat rate of tax is not fairer than the current system if it takes money from the poor and puts it into the pockets of the rich

A flat rate of tax is not fairer than the current system if it takes money from the poor and puts it into the pockets of the rich

It puts it in the pockets of the government so they can run the country for the benefit of all of us.

The benefit of collective responsibility. But that is not the only reason to change our tax system. We need radical changes in how we run this country. Otherwise we will just sink slowly to the bottom. Small steps are only plasters on gaping wounds. I think the country is ready for some bold new leadership, instead of more of the 'same auld, same auld'. Why not start with the tax system? Make it fairer for all, more transparant, and much easier to manage.
That's a nice theory. Is there any basis for thinking that it will work? Has it worked any where else?

It looks like public sector wages are not going to be cut:
http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/lenihan-no-more-pay-cuts-for-public-sector-476559.html

So that means that the budget is just going to be about more tax.

What a disgrace.
The public sector have done their bit, and have taken two serious cuts over the past two years. It's time for the other earners to step up. Tax is the only game in town.

The public sector have done their bit, and have taken two serious cuts over the past two years. It's time for the other earners to step up. Tax is the only game in town.

Doing their bit doesn't count - what counts is the inability of the government to pay for the PS (without borrowing heavily for it). Pay and numbers need to fall further IMO.

I think higher earners should pay some more tax, that all workers should pay some income tax and that social welfare should be reduced....but this IMO will not bring in 400m a week

Doing their bit doesn't count - what counts is the inability of the government to pay for the PS (without borrowing heavily for it). Pay and numbers need to fall further IMO.
I note your opinion. It is of course just that - your opinion. It is not the only solution to the inability of our goverment to pay for the public services that are used and needed by all citizens. The other major option is tax increases.

Not necessarily. What about pensions - State and PS?

Didn't the top rate go up already, along with the new levies? Not that it shouldn't or won't be raised further, just that top earners have stepped up (to some extent) whilst some others have been completely untouched.

If you mean super high earners (100K+) I wouldn't really disagree but the likelihood is that anyone over that amount will find means and ways of reducing their taxable income. In the same way that all the high earners in the PS pulled a rabbit out of a hat and avoided the cuts that their minions took last Xmas.

No pay cuts doesnt mean that PS costs wont be cut. There is still the possibility of a reduction in the workforce.

My personal opinion is that you are better reducing/eliminating the staff in areas where services and expenditure have been cut. Much better to have a smaller number of productive staff who are paid ok. Across the board pay cuts only serve to keep unproductive people on the payroll and de-motivate productive staff.

I note your opinion. It is of course just that - your opinion. It is not the only solution to the inability of our goverment to pay for the public services that are used and needed by all citizens. The other major option is tax increases.

I agree we need public services...we just cannot afford them at the current rates. Can you see tax increases on their own bringing in 400m a week?

The other major option is tax increases.
Tax increases won't impress the bond markets because they know how that works out, as do we from the 80's. As far as I can see, the government are happy to throw away our sovereignty over facing up to unpopular choices. The EU/IMF will be called in early next year - I'm with McWilliam's on this, even though I've been disagreeing with some of his analysis lately. Our democracy simply isn't capable of making mature choices, and our society is doomed to failure unless we change the way things work here.

@shnaek...
Our democracy simply isn't capable of making mature choices, and our society is doomed to failure unless we change the way things work here.

This sums it all up...

Not necessarily. What about pensions - State and PS?

Didn't the top rate go up already, along with the new levies? Not that it shouldn't or won't be raised further, just that top earners have stepped up (to some extent) whilst some others have been completely untouched.

If you mean super high earners (100K+) I wouldn't really disagree but the likelihood is that anyone over that amount will find means and ways of reducing their taxable income. In the same way that all the high earners in the PS pulled a rabbit out of a hat and avoided the cuts that their minions took last Xmas.
As was pointed out in this thread high earners are already paying their fair share in income taxes. The top 5 or 6% pay over 50% of all income tax whereas the bottom 40% don’t pay any. That is both unfair and unsustainable. Just because our leftwing media keep repeating the lie that the rich don’t pay their taxes it doesn’t make it true.

Tax increases won't impress the bond markets because they know how that works out, as do we from the 80's.
And that’s the crux of it; the cost of borrowing to the government and the banks has to go sown before any real progress is made. The priorities for the government should be 1) reduce the current spending deficit, 2) Do what is necessary to get interest rates down in the bond market and for interbank lending and 3) pay off the bill from the banking crisis.

As far as I can see, the government are happy to throw away our sovereignty over facing up to unpopular choices. The EU/IMF will be called in early next year - I'm with McWilliam's on this, even though I've been disagreeing with some of his analysis lately. Our democracy simply isn't capable of making mature choices, and our society is doomed to failure unless we change the way things work here.
We have already lost our sovereignty. After the civil war in the UK, when the king was put back in place (the Restoration) the only power parliament took from the monarch was the right to levy taxes. That’s all they needed as the guy holding the purse strings has total power. We as a state are now like the British Monarch; we can do anything we want as long as someone else gives us the money to do it but if they don’t like the idea then there’s no money...

I worked in a county council for many years and the waste and expense abuse was simply astounding. So there is scope for huge savings as per Croke Park agreement but it will take very strong (i.e. new) management that can shake things up and keep unions on board (very difficult). It is up to the public sector to reform themselves and save money otherwise job cuts are inevitable, actually the reforms will/should more than likely point at redundancies anyway. Every public servant knows where the waste is so its up to everyone to be proactive rather than constant engage in siege mentality.

Back