trump for president good/bad for ireland

I'm speechless. I really thought enough Americans would see through the bluster. Putin will have a field day with him and wouldn't fancy living in somewhere like Latvia at the moment. I see gold spiked by 5% overnight too.

Biggest threat for us is probably reducing corp tax in the US to bring the multi-nationals home. On a bright side, Mrs. Firefly is heading to NY very soon and the dollar has weakened!

Wait until Enda gets hold off him to tell him how racist he is!
And Mickey Martin had a few words to say about him too.

No more bowls of shamrock in the White House?

When I woke up this morning and saw that Trump was winning I felt a bit scared.

In his first speech, the first thing he did was congratulate Hilary, I find that reassuring, of course its just a platitude, but he could have said he was going to finally get to the bottom of the emails, or he was going to investigate Benghazi, he choose his first remarks to move away from "lock her up".

His second comment was about his plans for infrastructure spending, this is the low hanging fruit for the US economy, it will improve productive capacity in the long term and provide employment for mostly blue collar workers in the short term. It may even stoke inflation, which will annoy deficit hawks but might be a good thing too.

He has opposed trade deals during the campaign, no mention of that in his first speech. If he spends money building infrastructure, and creates employment his campaign position on trade may well be forgotten. After all Hillary admitted to having a public as well as a private position on trade. Trade brings wealth, Trump knows that. Expect to hear very little about trade deals being rolled back.

The stock market sell offs this morning are a good buying opportunity. There will be a major swing back to US stocks, for sound economic reasons as I have outlined, and for Trumps sheer optimism.Yes he campaigned in pessimism, but he will govern in optimism.

As I have said here before, he is less confrontational toward Russia than the US mainstream, this is a position I have always agreed with. I think with a President Trump we face less risk of WW3 than we would have done with a President Hillary Clinton.

I described him previously as a racist, misogynist bully. He certainly portrayed himself as that during the campaign. I hope he does not govern like that. We all, all men at least, know someone in the pub or the football club or just at work who thrash talks women, many of those men are decent people who respect women in their real lives. I have never understood the need to denigrate women, but I have observed that many men who do so in "locker room talk" actually live in a different manner.

Lets hope for the best.

In his first speech, the first thing he did was congratulate Hilary, I find that reassuring, of course its just a platitude, but he could have said he was going to finally get to the bottom of the emails, or he was going to investigate Benghazi, he choose his first remarks to move away from "lock her up".
Thatcher quoted St. Francis of Assisi in her first speech. I don't think she thought of his teachings much while in office.

Thatcher quoted St. Francis of Assisi in her first speech. I don't think she thought of his teachings much while in office.

I'm not sure that this is fair - she just had her own way of interpreting the words of St. Francis, as in....

Where there is love, let me sow hatred;
Where there is pardon, injury;
Where there is faith, doubt;
Where there is hope, despair;
Where there is light, darkness;
Where there is joy, sadness.......

(sorry........I'm just trying to find some humour anywhere on such a depressing day!)

I see that our Taoiseach, in a statement this morning, recorded how he is "pleased to offer our sincere congratulations to Donald J Trump"

No ambivalence there, then?!

Dare I say it but this is better than Brexit. In my view they were two poor candidates and probably any other Democrat would have beaten Trump, still I'd take Trump over Clinton. Happily, I backed Trump some weeks ago at 4/1. It will be interesting to see what happens. I expect that it won't herald the end of days as predicted by the liberal media.

Happily, I backed Trump some weeks ago at 4/1

I actually backed Trump many months ago at fancy prices as a kind of insurance policy against my worst fears - which, very regrettably, have now been realised. The "windfall" gain has not really helped my overall bitter disappointment with the outcome. Not even sure what to do with the blood money - maybe a deserving charity - at least then I can say that some good came out of this disaster. Maybe, I'll just get rat-arsed. Maybe both.

I expect that it won't herald the end of days as predicted by the liberal media.

Please understand that the liberal media is not the villain here - this man is, beyond belief, unsuitable for such office. Do you not agree?

I see that our Taoiseach, in a statement this morning, recorded how he is "pleased to offer our sincere congratulations to Donald J Trump"

No ambivalence there, then?!

elacsaplau - what should we expect......some consistency in the Taoiseach's views regarding Mr. Trump when self-interest, ass-licking and political expediency are now what's required?? What a truly depressing day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't at all surprised at the outcome, I was in the states about five months ago and nearly everyone I spoke to said trump would get it.
you see the working class americans are desperate for change and Clinton was far to linked up with the rich and powerfull to ever change anything.....I was always hers to loose...

I backed Trump to win the nomination and then a few weeks ago to win overall so happy days in that regards. I'm not in the least surprised. It was Brexit all over again, older whites voted in numbers for him, Minorities stayed away. The Democrats have finally lost the working class vote and a lot of Americans may not like Trump but couldn't see a reason for a Clinton win.

He comes in at a good time, Obama has done a chunk of the heavy lifting in terms of extracating the US from the worst of Iraq and Afg. ISIS seem to be finally on the run and the macro economic figures such as unemployment in the US have improved in recent years. To some degree, Trump can ride some of that. He'll get the US further out of the middle east and let Putin interfere more there which may be good for the US but not if you are a Syrian rebel.

He will end up appointing 1-3 Supreme Court judges over the next few years so the US will move to the right and become more conservative. So no gun control and more conservative policies on abortion are a possibility

He'll invest in infrastructure and cutting taxes will give the US a short term boost. He won't build a wall but a chunk of it already exists via fences etc and he'll beef that up.

The interesting, (and scary) thing is how will he handle a crisis.

I'm not in the least surprised. It was Brexit all over again

I am not surprised either - it was always a real threat.

Agree fully regarding the correlation with Brexit - a victory of fear, bigotry, racism and ignorance.

Clinton actually won the popular vote as did Al Bore in 2000.

Bit of a crazy system, in fact you would almost agree with Trump that it is rigged. An honourable man would concede to the moral winner or at least call for a re-run;)

Back