Time off for Christmas shopping in public service.

For those posting and counter posting about time off at Christmas can they please state their total annual leave? It would also be good if they could state their standard working week and if they can work up extra days off by working overtime.

Hmm. Did I post or did I counter post?

What use would be served by giving information like that? What credence might be placed on it? Why do you want to know?

Questions, questions...

For those posting and counter posting about time off at Christmas can they please state their total annual leave? It would also be good if they could state their standard working week and if they can work up extra days off by working overtime.

I get 20 days, my minimum hours are 39 and everyone here gets paid overtime. I never work less than 48 hours a week and have taken 10 sick days in the last 18 years, 6 of them for hospitalisation.
Many friends in the private sector work long hours with no time off in lieu, no paid overtime and no paid sick days.

Private sector: 20 days hols. some of which I must use for Christmas.

No Christmas bonuses nor any other kind.

Min. 39 hours pw but generally, I do closer to 45 and don't get paid overtime nor time in lieu.

Been in present job 9 years and have taken about 5 sick days.

We should rename this thread the Ebenezzer Scrooge thread - "who gets the least holidays, works the longest hours and doesnt get any time off at Christmas?" :)

Total 2009 Annual Leave is 23 days.

37.5 hr standard working week, no paid overtime and time in lieu only given for weekends (in the office) with prior approval. Occasional overseas travel (full working week) with expenses paid, not per diem.

Actual hours worked differs every week based on project duration/type/status/role/phase, whether I'm onsite or offsite, whether I am assigned to multiple projects or doing presales work out of hours.

I'm on call for some customers over Christmas but the chance of getting a call is maybe 1 in 10. I'm still expected to respond to internal mails/calls (via BlackBerry) however, and am getting some.

Re sick leave, I've missed on average of less than half day a year over my working life, with no sick days in last 4 years or more, despite having kidney infection at one stage and bad chest infection a couple of weeks ago.

We see this with our public sector customers every single year.

In fact it's happening as I type - people are ordering 100s, 1000s of € worth of stuff that they have admitted they don't need.
I presume your concern for the public purse extends to rejecting these orders and sending a note to the CEO of the organisation pointing out the unnecessary spending?

I presume your concern for the public purse extends to rejecting these orders and sending a note to the CEO of the organisation pointing out the unnecessary spending?

I would expect the poster to be sacked an hour later , and the letter be thrown in the bin.

What use would be served by giving information like that? What credence might be placed on it? Why do you want to know?

Questions, questions...

Presumably to show that while someone may have a particular 'perk', e.g. additional leave, they may forego something else such as paid Health insurance, employer pension contributions, bonuses, overtime/time in lieu?

Presumably to show that while someone may have a particular 'perk', e.g. additional leave, they may forego something else such as paid Health insurance, employer pension contributions, bonuses, overtime/time in lieu?

A small self-selected sample tells us nothing useful about differences between private sector and public sector conditions of employment.

So it's a pointless exercise.

all of these threads are - the Dail is on holidays for 40 days and even if they weren't, it's not as if the cabinet are avid readers of askaboutmoney, so anything discussed here is ultimately pointless.

We should rename this thread the Ebenezzer Scrooge thread - "who gets the least holidays, works the longest hours and doesnt get any time off at Christmas?" :)

I think its been done before...

[broken link removed]

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN: Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife.

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN: And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.

ALL: They won't!

Excellent :)

Oh, we used to dream of livin' in a corridor! Would ha' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woke up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House? Huh

Questions:

What does the Public Sector (PS) do for you, and would you do it?

Garda
Nurses (include physio, speech therapist, psychiatric nurse etc.)
Doctors (A+E with drunks and drug addicts not to mention the ordinary decent emergency)
Prison Officers, what a job
Coroner
Teacher
Drain clearance ( eeugh)
Council Environmental Health (think rats and vermin here)
Social Workers

Can anyone add to the list?

I just think that anyone complaining about the PS ..... well you can join the club if you want to!!

Drain clearance ( eeugh)

Are you sure? I'm forever walking around / avoiding blocked drains in the city centre on my way to & from work, even there hasn't been heavy rain. Maybe these guys are all on shopping leave?

I have a friend that works in the civil service. She moved from a private company about a year ago. She was telling me that the people she works with believe that they work hard. Believe being the operative word.

She said compared to working in the private sector she does about half of the work at most. She found it a bit starange at first and was waiting for the work to increase but it just didn't happen. She now realises that this is it and is quiet happy to take a salary for it.

Questions, questions...
The point is that someone working up to Christmas Eve in the public sector may get more than 20 days holidays a year and may only have to work a laughably short week (such as 35 hours).
If they are working 4 hours less than the bare minimum in most of the private sector and practically al of the SME sector that adds up to a half day a week or 24 extra days off a year.
The whole picture is required before comparisons can be made.

The point is that someone working up to Christmas Eve in the public sector may get more than 20 days holidays a year and may only have to work a laughably short week (such as 35 hours).
If they are working 4 hours less than the bare minimum in most of the private sector and practically al of the SME sector that adds up to a half day a week or 24 extra days off a year.
The whole picture is required before comparisons can be made.

A self-selected sample of the people who participate in this forum and who follow this thread and who answer your questions does not give the whole picture (even if everybody is truthful, which cannot be assured). It's a fair guess that all that might emerge is a distorted picture.

Given that some people seem to have strong feelings about topics like this, I fear that it would simply become oil on the flames rather than oil on troubled waters.

In terms of the working week in the public sector, the hours quoted generally don't include what may be a set lunchtime. For example, my working hours per week (public sector - HSE) are 33.75 hrs (6hr 45 min x 5), however my working day is 9am - 5pm Mon-Fri with a set 1hr 15 mins for lunch each day.

Does the private sector 39 hour week include a set lunch break (I appreciate that it might not always be taken, but is there one factored into the 39 hours?).

In terms of the working week in the public sector, the hours quoted generally don't include what may be a set lunchtime. For example, my working hours per week (public sector - HSE) are 33.75 hrs (6hr 45 min x 5), however my working day is 9am - 5pm Mon-Fri with a set 1hr 15 mins for lunch each day.

Does the private sector 39 hour week include a set lunch break (I appreciate that it might not always be taken, but is there one factored into the 39 hours?).

No - the private sector generally don't get paid lunches, so a 39 or 37.5 hr week is actual hours worked, excluding ALL breaks, certainly for me it is.

Back