"Till debt do us part" - Primetime. was "Survey on people in debt"

Re: Survey on people in debt

i received a PM from one of these people... have not replied ... would not feel comfortable either. I wonder has anyone else on AAM received a pm - interesting to know.

Why don't you reply and let them know how you feel about it?

Does anyone know when the Prime Time programme on personal debt goes out?

My name is Adrian Lydon and i am currently conducting some research into consumer debt. I'm looking to speak to people who have experience of the following:

Middle class debt - individuals who are currently having difficutlties meeting mortgage repayments and/or credit card, personal loans and other loan repayments.

Sub Prime Lenders - individuals who are clients of sub prime lenders or have had dealings with them in the past

Door step credit - legal and illegal moneylenders

If you are intersted in contacting me, you can do so in confidence at [email protected]

I'm sure that a program by the name of "Til debt do us part" or something like that was advertised on RTÉ for sometime over the Xmas period but I didn't catch the details and can't find anything on their website...

That program is on tomorrow night. Should be interesting.

I'm sure that a program by the name of "Til debt do us part" or something like that was advertised on RTÉ for sometime over the Xmas period but I didn't catch the details and can't find anything on their website...

Primetime this Thursday, RTE1 at 9.30 AFAIK.

Bet you're not looking forward to it now!

A pretty facile examination of the debt problem, in my opinion. They managed to find a few folks who'd been taken to the cleaners by (legal) moneylenders. The regulators agreed that moneylending was a problem but that there were few if any complaints. We learned that the big banks are getting into the business, and that maybe 50-odd houses were repossessed by one of the operators.

The producers managed to stretch the budget to take in a trip to the States to interview a few people and show us that there are a lot of properties on the market in Pittsburgh, ever since sub-prime lenders entered the mortgage market.

Nowhere was there any examination of the implications of middle-class debt and the "equity release" phenomenon, although I missed the start of the show and perhaps this was beyond the brief.

The story ended with one defaulter complaining about being sent to prison and another going on about having to buy designer tracksuits for the kids because they think it's from santy, as the strings swelled.

Your license fee at work, folks. Lame.

same thoughts - now i agree the laws are outdated and the cost of 16 days in Jail to the state is way more than the lady owed so seemed rediculous. ..

I thought the show was good.

The guys from Mabs and Flac were both excellent and articulate.

The guy from the Credit Unions was ok but a little bit defensive.

However, Mary O'Dea of IFSRA was portrayed as detached, uninterested and uncaring about the victims of predatory lending.

On a point of information the seven days clip shown dated to the late 1960's and not 1977 as stated in the programme.

aj

I thought the show was good.

The guys from Mabs and Flac were both excellent and articulate.

However, Mary O'Dea of IFSRA was portrayed as detached, uninterested and uncaring about the victims of predatory lending.
aj

yes i agree with these statements.

On a point of information the seven days clip shown dated to the late 1960's and not 1977 as stated in the programme.

aj

True, the famous/controversial Seven Days programme on Moneylenders was shown in 1969.

Charlie Weston in the Irish Independant suggests here (subscription required) that IFRSA do not have the sufficient will, ability or resources to comprehensively regulate the money lending sector.

Back