"Till debt do us part" - Primetime. was "Survey on people in debt"

I

indebt

My name is Adrian Lydon and i am currently conducting some research into consumer debt. I'm looking to speak to people who have experience of the following:

Middle class debt - individuals who are currently having difficutlties meeting mortgage repayments and/or credit card, personal loans and other loan repayments.

Sub Prime Lenders - individuals who are clients of sub prime lenders or have had dealings with them in the past

Door step credit - legal and illegal moneylenders

If you are intersted in contacting me, you can do so in confidence at [email protected]

Re: Debt

I am doing the research with a view to making a documentary on debt in Ireland. For the moment I just want to hear of personal experiences to gauge how much of an issue it is.

Surely a poll/survey designed to the normal scientific standards required by, for example, market research firms would be a better way to objectively assess how much of an issue something like this is? Especially compared to some sort of vox pop based on loaded questions which is likely to bias results towards exaggerating the scale of the problem?

Perhaps the OP doesn't realise that much of the information s/she is looking for is probably available from the Central Bank and other sources. Or maybe the OP is hoping to stumble across some individuals who will participate in his or her programme?

Perhaps the OP is a member of the [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Prime Time Investigates: Home Truths team; Maire Kearney, Adrian Lydon and Janet Traynor. I hope the documentary on debt is better than the recent one on pilot fatigue.
[/FONT]

Busted :D :D :D

First the Late Late Show came here looking for help, and now Prime Time. As well as all the national newspapers that borrow material from AAM.

Do any journalists do any proper research any more?

Just as well we're not trying to do anything evil on this site. It'd be propagated across the country as fact in no time.

Perhaps the OP is a member of the [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Prime Time Investigates: Home Truths team; Maire Kearney, Adrian Lydon and Janet Traynor. I hope the documentary on debt is better than the recent one on pilot fatigue.[/FONT]

What led you to believe that?

indebt said:
My name is Adrian Lydon and i am currently conducting some research into consumer debt. I'm looking to speak to people who have experience of the following:

Lemurz said:
First the Late Late Show came here looking for help, and now Prime Time. As well as all the national newspapers that borrow material from AAM.

I think that someone was just providing that info as an FYI-Brendan sometimes posts details of RTE shows looking for audience members as well.

Do any journalists do any proper research any more?

To be fair, they are requesting info, not lifting it directly from the site (as has happened in the past)

To be fair, they are requesting info, not lifting it directly from the site (as has happened in the past)

Quoting, even with acknowledgements, of anonymous information posted on a bulletin board as part of research is akin to making up the information yourself to prove your point.

Quoting, even with acknowledgements, of anonymous information posted on a bulletin board as part of research is akin to making up the information yourself to prove your point.

They (the OP) has said that they are looking to speak to people and have provided an e-mail address.

Re: Survey on people in debt

Do MABS have a forum? Would they give out details of people who have used their services if they were approached? Would they be allowed?

No, no and no methinks.

I think you hit the nail on the head above

extopia said:
Or maybe the OP is hoping to stumble across some individuals who will participate in his or her programme?

Well if I was doing this kind of TV research and looking for interesting interview subject, I think I'd certainly approach organisations like MABS. I know they would not give out details of course, but they could forward the request to suitable clients.

MABS is a national free, confidential and independent service for people in debt or in danger of getting into debt.

MABS have offices, don't they? An information poster from the researcher looking for show participants (in return for cash maybe :) ) would surely get the impact and coverage they're looking for, the right audience, and no legislation would be broken.

Well if I was doing this kind of TV research and looking for interesting interview subject, I think I'd certainly approach organisations like MABS. I know they would not give out details of course, but they could forward the request to suitable clients.

Perhaps the OP has approached a number of organisations/forums, of which AAM is one. If I were working in MABS I would not forward such a request. It's the one place where people can sit down face to face with another human being and explain their predicament. They do so on the understanding that they will remain anonymous. Such a request might panic some as there is still a stigma attached to debt. They might imagine people can find out who they are or somehow get hold of their records. I think such requests, if forwarded by MABS, would undermine the organisation.

Back