Things that annoy you

Veggies that think they have the high moral ground.

I ate a nice steak for dinner. The cow that it came from was killed by having a steel bolt driven through its head. It's still stitching body was then hoisted into the air by it's back feet and it was cut open using an electric (or sometimes pneumatic) saw from neck to groin. It was then gutted, skinned and had its head removed before being hung for the required amount of time after which it was butchered.
The only difference between how cows are killed now and how we killed their ancestors’ 20'000 years ago is that now it's quicker.
I know exactly how cows are killed; I have seen it first hand. I don't like the experience but I have no problem with the fact that it happens.

I don't think I have any high moral ground nor did I claim to have it. The killing is just one of the details, and probably one that the animals are grateful for at the end.

Concern yourself more with the people who are butchered all over the world every day, in the context of the overwhelming human suffering that exists in this world the minutia of the meat industry is utterly irrelevant.

Don't tell me what to do or assume that I don't already concern myself with such matters.

I don't think I have any high moral ground nor did I claim to have it. The killing is just one of the details, and probably one that the animals are grateful for at the end.

Don't tell me what to do or assume that I don't already concern myself with such matters.

Might i ask what you meant by that ????

After what alot of animals have to endure they are probably glad when it's over.

That is a very generalised statement. I am from rural back ground and have spent a lot of time on farms where the animals are very well cared for. True there are places where money money money is the main aim but the majority of farmers care for their animals.

Have you ever seen a farmer after his amimals have contracted TB and have been killed, he'll get money for them from the dept of Ag, but thats not what he wants. I have seen grown men crying after it or when foot and mouth was here and farmers in Louth had their animals culled, grown men were once again seen crying on the news. Its not all about blood and money.

Ron,
I completely agree with you. I have seen first hand both sides of the coin (well cared for animals and mass produced / mass slaughtered animals). My comment above was not meant to be a wide sweepeing generalisation. I don't have a problem with people eating meat, it is their choice, just like it is my choice not to. I don't preach to people about it and in fact I generally find that quite the opposite happens and meat eaters take a very defensive stance and preach to me about how their choice is the right one and I'm a idiot for not eating meat etc. Eating a cow, sheep, hen which you have taken care of and has had a good life is a far cry from the mass produced crap that is spewed onto shelves these days and that is what I was referring to in my original comment of how people like to spare themselves the of the details.

In this day and age it isn't necessary to eat meat as you can get the protein etc elsewhere and this is what I do. Eating meat is a choice and just as I have have chosen not to eat it others choose to eat it, and both sides of the fence should just respect each other's decision. I could go on, but like I said above I don't like to preach. I also don't want to hijack this thread.

Ron,
I completely agree with you. I have seen first hand both sides of the coin (well cared for animals and mass produced / mass slaughtered animals). My comment above was not meant to be a wide sweepeing generalisation. I don't have a problem with people eating meat, it is their choice, just like it is my choice not to. I don't preach to people about it and in fact I generally find that quite the opposite happens and meat eaters take a very defensive stance and preach to me about how their choice is the right one and I'm a idiot for not eating meat etc. Eating a cow, sheep, hen which you have taken care of and has had a good life is a far cry from the mass produced crap that is spewed onto shelves these days and that is what I was referring to in my original comment of how people like to spare themselves the of the details.

In this day and age it isn't necessary to eat meat as you can get the protein etc elsewhere and this is what I do. Eating meat is a choice and just as I have have chosen not to eat it others choose to eat it, and both sides of the fence should just respect each other's decision. I could go on, but like I said above I don't like to preach. I also don't want to hijack this thread.
I accept what you say and agree with you but why did you talk about “Meat-eaters who spare themselves the details of the meat industry.” why not the unethical treatment of animals in industrialized farming? There is a clear implication that meat eaters are ignorant of these issues and vegetarians are not. To me that was preaching though I do apologise for my tone, I was preaching as well. 

There is a clear implication that meat eaters are ignorant of these issues and vegetarians are not.

There was no such implication.

but why did you talk about “Meat-eaters who spare themselves the details of the meat industry.” why not the unethical treatment of animals in industrialized farming?

Both annoy me, I chose to mention one because I felt like saying it, they are very different issues. If we are to start questioning the "whys" and "why nots" of what people say annoy them I could ask you why you said "Vegetarians" in the original post, but to be honest I don't really want to know.

To me that was preaching though

People often see what they want to see.

Back to the Things that annoy you.

Being in a supermarket at the checkout and all the staff speaking in a foreign language.

I often stop and think to myself "I don't remember flying over here" :confused:

The receptionist in the office that picks up the the phone, to an outside call. Loudly proclaiming the the world 'Yeahhh' followed by the word 'So' and the words "well what do ya want me to do about it? Thats your problem" followed by the word "bye" and the phone crashing down on to the table. All while your standing beside her!! She then gets of the phone and moans about how many assholes there are in the world (20 per week aprox.)

Oh and picking up the phone after the above receptionist has used a phone. Only to find out two hours later from another colleague, that you are now wearing her make-up on the side of your face.

Shes white I wish she except it and dont have us all washing the phones down before we use them!!!

Back to the Things that annoy you.

Being in a supermarket at the checkout and all the staff speaking in a foreign language.

I often stop and think to myself "I don't remember flying over here" :confused:

Can't see I've met a checkout operator yet that has not been able to speak English sufficiently and many of them are more pleasant and efficient than alot of their Irish colleagues.

I've another one that drives me mad.

When you are in a shop purchasing an item of clothing and the sales assistant makes no attempt to fold it, but rolls it in a ball and dumps it into a carrier bag.
Then the look of incredulity on their face when you ask them to fold the clothes, or when you take it out of the bag and carefully fold it yourself. Then the audible sighing and nail tapping while they wait for you to fold it.

Also cashiers who dont look at you when they give you your change - the ones who are facing a different direction having a conversation with their friends, and wave their hand in your direction with the change in it. I never take it until they turn around and actuallly hand it to me.

I've another one that drives me mad.

When you are in a shop purchasing an item of clothing and the sales assistant makes no attempt to fold it, but rolls it in a ball and dumps it into a carrier bag.
Then the look of incredulity on their face when you ask them to fold the clothes, or when you take it out of the bag and carefully fold it yourself. Then the audible sighing and nail tapping while they wait for you to fold it.

Also cashiers who dont look at you when they give you your change - the ones who are facing a different direction having a conversation with their friends, and wave their hand in your direction with the change in it. I never take it until they turn around and actuallly hand it to me.

Reminds me on that scene at the start of Intermission when Colin Farrell asks for a plastic bag and yer wan answers with a loud "tssst"...excellent!

Back