- they broke the law - but i still owe

no BRONTE

I owed the bank €30k
i told them that i was waiting for monies owed to me by the builder but that he was waiting for funds to clear from his bank
I told them that when i got the monies from him i woul pay them. they new the builder and had dealings with him.
THe bank then rang the builder WITHOUT my knowledge asking when he was going to pay me that he owed me €70K.
He told them that he owed me some monies but not that amount.
HE took a dim view of the whole matter and said "screw you" i'm not paying you. "Whyis the bank ringing me about your loans"

I don't think that it is possible for them to take my home

So you do have a home? Of course it's possible for them to take your home. Can you clarify the full story as it's very hard to make out the circumstances. Did you do work for the builder that is unpaid for example.

Take my home

Wrt to the above the reason the majority of people get their homes repossed or go to jail is beacuse they do not show up in court.

i go to court tell the judge no money - would gladly pay if had - what can he do
nothing

there was a case recently i will find and post herre for you

So you do have a home? Of course it's possible for them to take your home. Can you clarify the full story as it's very hard to make out the circumstances. Did you do work for the builder that is unpaid for example.

While it is possible it is very unlikely. They dont just show up on a friday morning and take your home away :)

It is a very long protracted process and based on what I read on this thread it would be very unlikely that a judge would grant such an order.

Aristotle.

what is you opinion on going to the Financial Ombudsman.

I have a distinct feeling that i will be trying to prove " heresay" in the courts and probably with the ombudsman

A DISTRICT COURT judge has questioned whether it is worthwhile making instalment orders following a recent High Court ruling that it is unconstitutional to jail a person who cannot pay a debt.
At Mullingar District Court yesterday, Judge John Neilan asked if orders were “a nullity if they cannot be enforced” and was critical of banks who did not accept genuine offers of payment from debtors.
His comments come just days after Ms Justice Mary Laffoy’s landmark ruling deeming section 6 of the Enforcement of Court Orders Act 1940 unconstitutional.
If the judgment remained intact, it would have an impact on proceedings under the Family Law (Maintenance of Spouses and Children) Act. He questioned the value of entertaining civil processes if “the engine that brings about its effectiveness is being dismantled”.
Dealing with 24 applications yesterday, Judge Neilan said he would remand all committal and many enforcement matters to the end of November when it may be clear if the Laffoy decision would be appealed to the Supreme Court or if legislators would take action.
He told a married couple before the court, on foot of an enforcement order moved by ACCBank, that there was “uncertainty” about how cases like theirs would proceed. “There are steps,” he said. “You’re in the middle and the next step has been found to be unconstitutional. If the end process is unconstitutional, what’s the point of engaging in the process here?”
He added it was a judge’s obligation to act as “honest broker” between debtors and creditors.
ACCBank had written to the couple stating it was no longer prepared to wait and wished that the full outstanding amount of the debt be paid over. When the couple presented documentary evidence of their offer to make an instalment, the judge was strongly critical of the letter which the bank sent to them, describing it as “threatening”, “bully-boy” and “unacceptable to the court”.
He said one option open to them was to inform the bank that the matter was now before court and “the judge says it is within his sole discretion what happens next”.
He continued: “I am somewhat surprised in one sense and not surprised in another that the ACC have not accepted your genuine offer,” he said, adding that it was time financial institutions, whose CEOs received salaries in the millions, “come to reality”. He criticised the “arrogance of financial institutions who brought this country to its knees” and reminded them that it was the taxpayer who was now funding them. Judge Neilan indicated an appreciation for difficulties encountered by people who were in debt and had to appear before a public forum to “bare their soul.” He urged that they should not “be frightened to come before the court and set out their stall” and that the Money, Advice and Budgeting Services might be able to offer assistance.
He stressed that his comments were directed at banks and not at other creditors and that the court would address “people who have brass necks and owe money”.
The Courts Service has confirmed that following consultation with the president of the District Court, it has written to each chief district court clerk stating that no further committal warrants are to be issued under section 6.

The problem is you seem to have started down the court road. What do you think the courts are going to do? For example we took a fellow to court over 7 years ago and only got our money last month. On a 'simple' cause of unpaid invoices a no foe no fee 'debt collection agency' (even if they took 33%) would be less hassle and less expensive!

it is with the solicitor now 12 months and i beleive that it will be in court before the end of the year

Aristotle.

what is you opinion on going to the Financial Ombudsman.

I have a distinct feeling that i will be trying to prove " heresay" in the courts and probably with the ombudsman

Why not make a complaint to the Data Protection Commissioner. Afterall, your personal details were discussed with a third party. If the bank made a third party aware of your banking arrangement without your consent, you surely have grounds for a complaint.
This doesn't mean you don't own the money to the bank, but I would consider it the correct course of action with regard to unauthorised dissemination of private data.

But there is one big question that needs to be answered. How did you not sign anything and still owe the bank €30K?

You can make a complaint online at the link below:
[broken link removed]

the bank cleared a cheque on the strnghth of funds being available

but hence the cheque i got bounced and i had used funds to pay monies i owed

They really were pushing for me to sign a loan agreement

they had me down with the Gauards aswell for Fraud.

but i think that was to scare the **** out of me.

the gaurd said that this was the banks problem

has anyone any experience of the Financial Ombudsman

Yep, I have. If might be best if you have specific queries to PM me. But first you must request a Letter of Final Response from the Bank, before the Ombudsman will even look at it.

the letter of final response would that be like they want there money

did you have any success with the FO

The letter of Final Response should be a direct reply to your complaint from the Financial Provider. Have a look at the Ombudsman's website.

Yep, I had some success with the FO. It really is the fastest and least expensive route in trying to sort out a Financial Problem. The only query I have the the FO is that he is being asked to adjudicate against the Financial Providers who pay annual fees to keep his office open in the first instance.

so you would sugges that i send a query letter to the bank wrt to the break of data protection

get their respnse which will be a denial and then fill out form wrt to the course of events to the breach to the FO.

i spoke to the Fo last year and they never mentioned a letter to the bank]

it appeared that they were just going to investigae the bank and the third party via letter correspondence which i felt would be waste of time as very easy for them to deny everything?

And with respect do you actually think a Court would differ in this regard. Without having matters in writing it is very hard to prove anything. It is then a war of words which will not be won on a Volume setting. Hard Facts wins cases. Bull loses them. The Letter of Final Response should have the full facts on it from the Bank's side. On receipt of it then you will be able to determine which route you should take

yes i agree.

i have confronted the bank on two occasions and ask them why they contacted the builder and discussed monies i owed them

they denied on both occasions.

so my problem is that it would be all hearsay which won't stand up anywhere.

the only thing that i have is the builders foreman said when io asked why was the contract being taken from me " well the fact the bank ringin him didn't help"

but surely he can deny this also?

Back