tenant not paying rent wont leave

I need some help please. Tenant hasnt paid rent in over three months. Took her to RTB and they ruled in my favour but im waiting for the determination order...

There was other information online about people going to the court themselves and not waiting for the PRTB. I can't remember the details of how they could skip the PRTB but there was some legal process. Sorry but I'm not near a computer to search where I saw it. It may have been on boards.

You've said lots of things like landlords leaving not having an effect on housing stock

Not quite. What I said was;

if 50,000 landlords sold up their properties in last 3 year, where did the properties go? To other landlords perhaps? Perhaps former tenants, now property owners?
If 50,000 properties came onto the market last 3 years, wouldnt that have put a downward pressure on prices?

I would ask that you emphasis on distinguishing between the different meaning of the words 'sold' and 'leaving', especially in consideration of the other pivotal words 'housing' and 'landlords'.

Or that housing never gets removed from use as housing

I never said that, link please.

We given you loads examples.

Who is 'we'? Is there more than one of you?

Do you have links to add credence to any of your theories.

What 'theories' are you talking about? I merely pointed out that if 50,000 landlords have SOLD their properties in the last 3 years then that would provide a downward pressure on house prices. Dont you agree?

Yeah...

...its clear :rolleyes:that the landlord exiting the market does not affect the housing stock...
..regardless of '50,000' landlords leaving the market...the point is, the properties dont leave the market....
...Landlords leaving the sector do not take their properties with them, the properties are sold to other buyers....

Landlords can leave the sector and retain the property and not use them for housing. They can leave them empty for example (again). Or switch to AirBnB, or make it an office.

...What 'theories' are you talking about?..

theories - a supposition - a belief held without proof or certain knowledge; an assumption or hypothesis. Those above above and this one below...

...I merely pointed out that if 50,000 landlords have SOLD their properties in the last 3 years then that would provide a downward pressure on house prices. Dont you agree?

No. That the housing prices have not fallen, could be mean that 50,000 isn't enough to have an effect. Or that they weren't released back to the market.

...The country needs close to 50,000 homes a year to cater to underlying housing demand - both market and social. More than 15,000 rental homes are needed each year. As I wrote recently in a report for Activate Capital, a state-backed residential finance provider, Dublin alone needs an apartment block of about 200 units to open every week from now until the 2080s
- Irish Rental Price Report Q3 2017 | Daft.ie

40,000 (RTB Figures) landlords have left the sector since 2012 and more intend to leave. For every two rental properties sold only one is coming back into the sector.
- The Journal 2016.

Nearly half of tenancy terminations in Galway city due to landlord selling the property – Threshold

...40% (78 cases) concerned the sale of the property by the landlord...
...require the property for their own or a family member’s use (16%),
...they intend to carry out substantial renovation on the property (8%),
...or the tenant is in rent arrears (22%)
- Threshold 2017.

Once again its not Landlords that are causing this shortage, and its nothing to do with the OP question. But you keep bringing it back to the Landlords....

Why not start a new thread. Maybe the mods/Brendan can split this one.

Landlords can leave the sector and retain the property and not use them for housing.

Thats very true, except such a landlord wouldnt be one of the 50,000 who sold their properties, would they?
You need to pay attention.

They can leave them empty for example (again). Or switch to AirBnB, or make it an office.

:rolleyes: So you are talking about landlords not in the group of 50,000?

That the housing prices have not fallen, could be mean that 50,000 isn't enough to have an effect.

Thats a possibilty for sure. I would doubt it, in a market the size of Ireland, but I accept its a possibilty.

Irish Rental Price Report Q3 2017 | Daft.ie

Ive already stated that there is a housing shortage.

The Journal 2016.

And this my point. If one out of two sales of landlord property is returning to the sector, which sector do you think is being referred to here? The rental sector perhaps?
If so, according to your article its only 20,000 properties lost to the rental market, not 50,000 as was suggested earlier. An exaggeration of 150%.
I hope im not asked to do the math here?

Threshold 2017.

And aside from the 8% undergoing property rennovation (temporarily off market) all the properties are being used, or available for residential purposes.
Meaning zero, to little effect on the housing stock, as was my point.

Once again its not Landlords that are causing this shortage

I never said it was, please dont tell that all this was your perception of something I said, but didnt say.

You seem very confused about the terms in use and you use them interchangeably incorrectly. I've given you sources so you can do your own research. What I quoted is unambiguous and is you are confused by it, perhaps you should research into it.

A thread about over holding isn't the correct place to have rant about landlords need to vanish without explaining in any rational way how this works work.

have rant about landlords need to vanish

The only landlords that need to vanish are the ones not capable of executing the role. At this point I would include the OP, best that property is sold to someone capable of dealing with the "hassle".

So now you reckon the tenant over holding and the landlord following the legal not fit for purpose PRTB process is the landlords fault.

The only conclusion to that is you think the LL should not follow the legal process. Which is probably against the forums rules.

The landlord should follow the legal process and get on with it instead of whining about the situation on AAM. The landlord should definitely avoid the illegal options offered.
If you want to get involved in letting property my advice is do your homework and prepare for the eventuality of non-payment of rent,
instead of wondering what to do after the event. Its bad planning, and smacks of an individual out of their depth to begin with.

There is no homework you can do to prevent this.. ItThere are no laws to protect you, So it becomes an simple financial viability calculation... that is one of the main reasons landlords are leaving....

The problem with no landlords is there then is no where to rent... a symbiotic relationship which seems to surprise threshold and similar ....

Of course another solution is for those that say landlords are doing it wrong is to do it themselves...but then they themselves become landlords...and they can't make that work.

There was other information online about people going to the court themselves and not waiting for the PRTB. I can't remember the details of how they could skip the PRTB but there was some legal process. Sorry but I'm not near a computer to search where I saw it. It may have been on boards.

My understanding of the law is you must go the PRTB route first.

Hi,

what about if it's written into the contract and highlighted and signed by both the tenant and landlord?

You can write whatever you like in a contract, but I'm certain that is not enforceable. You can't cut off water and electricity. Not even if it's in your name and the tenant isn't paying. So never ever out utilities in your own name unless there is a valid reason for doing so.

Also as far as this long term landlord is concerned, written contracts are a waste of time.

The reality is that a tenant who does not pay his/her rent is a thief and a parasite.

Ah, Gordon - I think you've gone way too far here.

Disclosure: I am a landlord and have had tenants who did not pay their rent.

Ah, Gordon - I think you've gone way too far here.

Disclosure: I am a landlord and have had tenants who did not pay their rent.

I strongly disagree; in most other walks of life, a person who takes a good or service and does not pay for it is pilloried. However, perhaps as a legacy of British rule and our various historic issue with landowners, Irish landlords are viewed as the real bogeymen.

It’s amazing how any vitriol tends to be directed at the landlord.

The reality is that a tenant who does not pay his/her rent is a thief and a parasite.

The law should be brutal with these people, but sadly it is not and the landlord gets the raw deal.

the likes of germany is often held up as the model for tenants rights yet you dont get a free pass if you stop paying rent for two years and trash the place in the process

nowhere do deadbeat tenants have it better than in ireland , they more or less have immunity from the law

I would agree that where a tenant has the means to pay, and doesnt pay, it is theft.

It’s amazing how any vitkriol tends to be directed at the landlord.

In fairness, this site is broadly sympathetic to the plight of the landlord. I would also sympathise with any landlord who is in the position of rent theft.

I would have less sympathy for anyone who enters the rental sector with the short-sighted view that a tenant may not have difficulty in paying the rent from time to time, or with the expectation that the value of the rent will cover the cost of the mortgage for the whole period of the mortgage.
It is my view that upon discovering the realities of the rental sector that so many supposed 'landlords' are bailing out.
In the long-run, this will be beneficial to the rental sector. As bad as it is to have 'deadbeat' tenants, deadbeat landlords can clear off too.

Last edited:
Back