tenant not paying rent wont leave

I was responding to delfio's previous comment which referenced TD's advising to stay in the property for as long as possible. I think the assumption was made that these were non-paying tenants, whereas, the report I heard this morning implied rent paying tenants whose tenancy agreements had expired.
If you have issue with the topic being 'derailed', respond accordingly to delfio please.

I would not be in favour of tennant's overstaying at the expense of the landlord particularly accidental landlords who may be struggling with mortgages etc. The lady on the news this morning in fairness has continued to pay her rent and referred to the property as 'her home'. TD's should not be advocating for tennants to deliberately overstay as landlord then loses control of his property. The TD's concerned should be doing the job they supposed to be doing, advocating for more social housing etc and not be putting it on the shoulders of private landlords. I have a home currently for sale, until it is sold, it's Airbnb all the way I just couldn't cope with the stress of been a small time landlord.

All I meant was the housing and rental markets are different the world over. Ask a vague questions get a vague answer.

I have no idea what your comment is about.
The problem Landlords are having with over holding in Ireland are the same problem they had 25 year ago ,

Last edited:
25 yrs ago you could do things like change locks, or cut off services, which are now defined as illegal evictions. There are now massive fines for illegal evictions and cutting off services.

That tenants rights have increased is right and needed.

But the LL has effectively lost any financially viable means of dealing with over holding. There isn't enough profit it in the business to absorb the potential losses. Its too much of a risk.

A lease is a contract where an agreed payment is agreed for a period of time. Failure to pay the rent should result in the forfeiture of the property immediately by the tenant. It's not the business nor the responsibility of the landlord to consider the circumstances of the tenant any more than it is the business nor the responsibility of the tenant to consider the circumstances of the landlord.

All this entitlement rubbish is exactly why landlords are getting out of the market, refusing HAP, going to AirBnB. And don't start me on the likes of Rich Boy Barrett and his failed, communist ideas!

I would not be in favour of tennant's overstaying at the expense of the landlord particularly accidental landlords who may be struggling with mortgages etc. The lady on the news this morning in fairness has continued to pay her rent and referred to the property as 'her home'. TD's should not be advocating for tennants to deliberately overstay as landlord then loses control of his property. The TD's concerned should be doing the job they supposed to be doing, advocating for more social housing etc and not be putting it on the shoulders of private landlords. I have a home currently for sale, until it is sold, it's Airbnb all the way I just couldn't cope with the stress of been a small time landlord.

we done air b n b last summer , loved the whole experience of meeting new people ( for short stays ) , we fed them at no extra cost

25 yrs ago you could do things like change locks, or cut off services, which are now defined as illegal evictions. There are now massive fines for illegal evictions and cutting off services.

While there are fines for illegal eviction, I am not aware that there are fines for cutting off services.

That tenants rights have increased is right and needed.

But the LL has effectively lost any financially viable means of dealing with over holding. There isn't enough profit it in the business to absorb the potential losses. Its too much of a risk.

You mean there is not enough profit after tax ,The point I was making is that Tenants rights have increased and as you say correctly so

it is quite possible when the RTB was set up it looked at models in other Country before it was set up as you said there are now massive fines for illegal evictions and cutting off services by landlords,

It should also be illegal to cut off payment to landlords without first going through the RTB first and there should also be massive fines if they can show no good reason and have to meet all cost out of there actions,

Seeing there is so much taken in tax the RTB should have a fund to pay landlords until problem is resolved ,

Last edited:
While there are fines for illegal eviction, I am not aware that there are fines for cutting off services.

Illegal eviction
If your landlord locks you out or physically evicts you, you may be able to apply for an injunction to force them to let you back into the property or you may apply to the RTB to do so on your behalf. Similarly if your landlord cuts off water, gas or electricity, you may be able to take legal action to restore the supply. In either case, you should get legal advice and assistance before you proceed. Your landlord cannot remove your possessions from your home while your tenancy is still in existence (though after a tenancy has ended, a landlord is under no legal obligation to store or maintain belongings).
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/if_your_landlord_wants_you_to_leave.html

I have no idea what RTB would do in that situation, or how fines are calculated.

You mean there is not enough profit after tax ,The point I was making is that Tenants rights have increased and as you say correctly so

it is quite possible when the RTB was set up it looked at models in other Country before it was set up as you said there are now massive fines for illegal evictions and cutting off services by landlords,

It should also be illegal to cut off payment to landlords without first going through the RTB first and there should also be massive fines if they can show no good reason and have to meet all cost out of there actions,

I dunno other countries have deposit protection systems (for both LL and Tenant), larger deposits say 3 months, legal expenses insurance, faster evictions, rent has to paid within specific time frame say first 3 days of the month, you have to paint the property before returning it. Things like that. The irish system?

completely inaccurate statement !
There were lots of people who could have rented out vacant property who decided not in case of over holding problem 25 years ago no government ever adressed this issue,
I dunno other countries have deposit protection systems (for both LL and Tenant), larger deposits say 3 months, legal expenses insurance, faster evictions, rent has to paid within specific time frame say first 3 days of the month, you have to paint the property before returning it. Things like that. The irish system?[/QUOT

That is the point i am making ,What Richard Boyd Barrett said is wrong, But the problem that started this post was not addressed by FF?FG/PD/Labour ,

Last edited:
Cutting off services to a property may be treated as an unlawful termination (aka illegal eviction) by the RTB and damages may be awarded accordingly.

Back