TEETU Dispute with the Electrical Contractors (REA's etc)

Re: NEETU Eletricians Dispute (Eamon Devoy on Joe Duffy)

Apparantly the strike is beginning to break down - a lot of workers passed through the pickets this morning.

The Construction sector didn’t screw up the country, the government and Social(ist) Partners did. They created an economically suicidal environment which the construction sector reacted to. Every individual who sold their own home to the highest bidder during this period was just as much part of the problem. The core problem was that the government didn’t govern and so the vested interest groups, be they CONGRESS (ictu), IBEC, the CIF, the Banks, CORI, SIPTU etc were given an almost free hand to carve up the country.

The Mafia analogy is sound; if I, upon attempting to move my accounts from Bank of Ireland to AIB, was told that I could not do so as there was an agreement between the banks not to take each other’s customers then it might apply to them. But it wouldn’t happen so the analogy doesn’t fit.

The Mafia is also there to protect the interests of its members (“made man” rather than “Comrades”) to the detriment of the rest of the general population.

Be careful with statements like that, an angry mob might assemble and burn you outside town.

But I fully agree with you, it’s unreasonable to blame one party for the problems we are facing now or even to try to blame the US Subprime market alone.

I fully agree with your identification of the main culprits.

Apparantly the strike is beginning to break down - a lot of workers passed through the pickets this morning.

When you say workers, do you mean workers other than electricians?

i think if anything its gaining momentum unfortunately. Workers / other contractors are doing nights instead of passing pickets where i see more people joining the strikers.
I appreciate both sides of the coin to be fair but think the union and CIF should be better or at least more professional in negotiating. Both Tom Parlon and the TEEU union guy were disgraceful on the airwaves this week.

Small group (4 or 5) of electricians with pickets outside a site close to me.

TBH, they look uncomfortable and a bit sheepish to me.

Absolutely. Two wrongs don’t make a right. By the way the legal and medical representative bodies are trade unions (and so, ironically, is IBEC).

+1

Only very few professions or enterprises in Ireland do not operate as de facto, state-sanctioned, union-backed cartels. ICT is one of those areas, where open exposure to global competition keeps wages down relative to sectors like law. This imbalance discourages people from joining or encourages people to leave. More than half the people I went to college with no longer work in the area.

Funnily enough, these are the very sectors now being touted as saviours for the Irish economy.

I appreciate how lucky I am but equally realise that the benefits I enjoy now and indeed when I worked were due to being part of a strongly unionised workforce.

This is as much a factor of working in Financial Services as the involvement of any trade union. Or more accurately, you work in a profession insulated by government decree and reap the benefits of the virtual eradication of competition. Your customers pay the costs. You would have enjoyed the same benefits regardless of whether you were in the union or not, so essentially you signed up for a voluntary tax to afford the likes of David Begg and Peter McCloone the lifestyle to which they have become accustomed.

I am a non-unionised public sector worker so know what I'm talking about.

The Construction sector didn’t screw up the country, the government and Social(ist) Partners did. They created an economically suicidal environment which the construction sector reacted to. Every individual who sold their own home to the highest bidder during this period was just as much part of the problem. The core problem was that the government didn’t govern and so the vested interest groups, be they CONGRESS (ictu), IBEC, the CIF, the Banks, CORI, SIPTU etc were given an almost free hand to carve up the country.

Somebody missed the "everything-was-grand-until-Lehman-Brothers-collapsed" memo.

This is as much a factor of working in Financial Services as the involvement of any trade union. Or more accurately, you work in a profession insulated by government decree and reap the benefits of the virtual eradication of competition. Your customers pay the costs. You would have enjoyed the same benefits regardless of whether you were in the union or not, so essentially you signed up for a voluntary tax to afford the likes of David Begg and Peter McCloone the lifestyle to which they have become accustomed.

I am a non-unionised public sector worker so know what I'm talking about.

Somebody missed the "everything-was-grand-until-Lehman-Brothers-collapsed" memo.
The point you are missing is that the terms and conditions that the vast majority of people enjoy in the Banking sector would not be at the level they are without the presence of a strong union who ably negotiated such terms and conditions , would the Banks have applied such terms and conditions voluntarily - would they B***ix !

The point you are missing is that the terms and conditions that the vast majority of people enjoy in the Banking sector would not be at the level they are without the presence of a strong union who ably negotiated such terms and conditions , would the Banks have applied such terms and conditions voluntarily - would they B***ix !
You are missing the point that if banking was not a protected sector such terms and conditions would not sustainable and that ultimately it is the customers, from corporations to pensioners, who have paid and will continue to pay for your “package”.

You are missing the point that if banking was not a protected sector such terms and conditions would not sustainable and that ultimately it is the customers, from corporations to pensioners, who have paid and will continue to pay for your “package”.
I would have thought there was plenty of competition out there in the Banking Sector or am I missing something ?
The profit's enjoyed by the Bank's from staff , customers be they corporations or personal - it's called capitalism.
No doubt your business generates income in the same fashion ?
And it's not my "package " - it was agreed by my employers , the union and Kieran Mulvey - I was however delighted to avail of it !

I would have thought there was plenty of competition out there in the Banking Sector or am I missing something ?
Yes, open competition.

Nope, we are open to international competition. If we fail we just go out of business. Our competition is not limited through any barriers to entry.
And it's not my "package " - it was agreed by my employers , the union and Kieran Mulvey - I was however delighted to avail of it !
I'm not having a go at you, please don't think I am. I am just pointing out that pay rates and T&C's like that are unsustainable in the wider, more open sections, of the economy so in effect the rest of the economy is subsidising you and everyone else in the protected and state sectors.

I have friends working in the non-unionised JP Morgan and Merrill Lynch. I guess you can assume they earn a pittance, right?

Thanks for that, it's always good to start the weekend with a hearty laugh.

The profit's enjoyed by the Bank's from staff , customers be they corporations or personal - it's called capitalism.

Well actually, in capitalism corporations operate for the benefit of shareholders not necessarily the customers or employees (although usually their interests will coincide). If employees want a piece of the profit action then they are free to risk their capital by investing like the shareholders have.

But then insolvent businesses fail in capitalism, so whatever we have now, it's not capitalism.

Presumably the corollary of your theory that bank staff are directly responsible for bank profitability, is that when banks are incurring losses, the staff are also responsible? So I guess the unions are out there arguing for reductions in wages for staff because the banks are losing so much money?

I understand Purple's business is in exporting, so no, his business doesn't generate income in any manner comparable to a private banking cartel.

Right, and it was paid for by your hapless customers. None of whom could shop elsewhere because all licensed operators had to "agree" to effectively the same package. I believe you call it capitalism.

I have friends working in the non-unionised JP Morgan and Merrill Lynch. I guess you can assume they earn a pittance, right?

Thanks for that, it's always good to start the weekend with a hearty laugh.

Well actually, in capitalism corporations operate for the benefit of shareholders not necessarily the customers or employees (although usually their interests will coincide). If employees want a piece of the profit action then they are free to risk their capital by investing like the shareholders have.

But then insolvent businesses fail in capitalism, so whatever we have now, it's not capitalism.

Presumably the corollary of your theory that bank staff are directly responsible for bank profitability, is that when banks are incurring losses, the staff are also responsible? So I guess the unions are out there arguing for reductions in wages for staff because the banks are losing so much money?

I understand Purple's business is in exporting, so no, his business doesn't generate income in any manner comparable to a private banking cartel.

Right, and it was paid for by your hapless customers. None of whom could shop elsewhere because all licensed operators had to "agree" to effectively the same package. I believe you call it capitalism.
I am sue your friends in Morgan and Merrills are earning good money and more power to them !
The questions I would ask are :
Do they work a 35 hour week ?
Do they get paid overtime ?
Do they get 30 days leave a year ?
Are they members of a DB pension scheme ?
More to terms and conditions than salaries.
Have you checked this site or any of the comparison sites or scanned the financial advise columns of the national papers , if so you will have seen that there is huge competition out ther in the banking sector across the range of financial products offered - the day of the cartel is long gone !
Of course Bank staff will suffer from pay freezes and reduction/cancellation of bonuses and of course the union will endeavour to protect terms and conditions as is their duty .
Back on thread - could I congratulate Kieran Mulvey on negotiating what is an eminently reasonable compromise which hopefully will be acceptable to both parties and thus end the electricians dispute.

Re: TEETU Eletricians Dispute (Eamon Devoy on Joe Duffy)

Deise,

You are very naieve to think the dispute is over, ECA buckled to the big builder mates in CIF to stike a deal. The recommendation issed by the Labour Court is a NON binding one as he knows the AECI are opposed to it. They are voting this week in the knowledge that NECI are ready to go back to the High Court as they did a year ago to take out an injunction to stop the REA applying to their members. In the last year since they took out the original injunction there has been a huge downturn in the Construction market, thousands of electrician jobs have been lost. Customers have requested rate reductions from Electrical Contractors, tender prices have plummeted....... > How can small contractors be subjected to rate increases as agreed by the Mercuries, Kirby, Designer Groups of this world. Its absurd to be agreeing a rate increase in the current market.

Secman

Deise,

You are very naieve to think the dispute is over, ECA buckled to the big builder mates in CIF to stike a deal. The recommendation issed by the Labour Court is a NON binding one as he knows the AECI are opposed to it. They are voting this week in the knowledge that NECI are ready to go back to the High Court as they did a year ago to take out an injunction to stop the REA applying to their members. In the last year since they took out the original injunction there has been a huge downturn in the Construction market, thousands of electrician jobs have been lost. Customers have requested rate reductions from Electrical Contractors, tender prices have plummeted....... > How can small contractors be subjected to rate increases as agreed by the Mercuries, Kirby, Designer Groups of this world. Its absurd to be agreeing a rate increase in the current market.

Secman

I dont know how likely that is. The High Court injunction was lifted and the Labour Court refused to cancel the REA, so what do they do next?
Also Denis Judge went on Morning Ireland last Friday and said NECI could agree to the 5% in certain circumstances.

I think the Non - Aligned group has more credibility at this stage. It remains to be seen what action they can take, though.

Denis also said " A Black day for Ireland". They went to high court a year ago , now things are much worse, so why would they not go back now ? The REA is still untouched ! Why do you think Labour court issued a Non binding recommendation ? The 4th non alligned, non named group are definitely taking REA to high court. Far from over.

Secman

Deise,

Secman
I never said that the dispute was over , if you read my post I said I hoped that the compromise would be accepted by both sides.
I fully accept that there are still obstacles ahead .

Why have the TEETU lifted the pickets? Its going to be very hard to reinstate them should the AECI vote against the increase. On a different topic how did Kiernan Mulvey get his present job? I thought he was a trade union leader in a former life- hardly what you could call independent is he? Unlike Deiseblue old trade union leaders never seem to retire - they just keep getting Goverment jobs and collecting even bigger salaries than before.

Why have the TEETU lifted the pickets?

Builders' holidays starting at the end of this week.

From the TEEU statement
Should either or both of the employers bodies refuse to accept the Labour Court Recommendation then the dispute will be reactivated, subsequent to the builders holidays, and the ICTU All-Out Picket will be vigorously pursued.

Devoy may have won the fight but he has lost the war,watch that space!

At the end of the the day, Devoy has not got what he wanted, ie the 11% ,and in fact half of that wont be paid for a few months and the other half next year.

I have heard it said several times today that the dispute is off as builders are going on holidays on Friday ,watch that space too.

Now if I were a union member and I lost a weeks pay i.e. in electricians case about €800 a week and I ended up with not the 11% the leader has been shouting for but in fact half of that, and half of that again not being paid till 2010, well I figure it would take me a year to gain back the money I have lost on the strike,so I wouldn't be too happy with Devoy and co. Again watch that space.

So much for the unions, laughable.

Wonder if the union will look for an increase in their subs now that apparently Devoy is getting a 27% pay increase, definitely watch that space.

Back