'Sure Girl' advertisements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will it not be seen as a job well done only when its taken off the air?

I only expressed MY opinion to the Advertising Standards Authority, it would take many opinions the same as mine to remove something from the air. I dont really see it as a job one way or the other - more that I availed of the opportunity of expressing myself through the proper channels.

Truthseeker,

Would you deem it wrong for makers of childrens' cartoons to depict the characters not wearing seatbelts in cars? Just wondering as i noticed, whilst watching Peppa Pig with my 18 month old that the whole family were not wearing seatbelts, including Mummy and Daddy pig. I probably wouldn't have noticed had it not been for this discussion.

I only expressed MY opinion to the Advertising Standards Authority, it would take many opinions the same as mine to remove something from the air. I dont really see it as a job one way or the other - more that I availed of the opportunity of expressing myself through the proper channels.

Yes, but by expressing YOUR opinion to the complaints board, I take it that its with a view to remove the 'offending' piece from the public domain.

GarBow - no I wouldnt. The Sure ad is filmed 'documentary style' with a handheld camera so conveys a sense of realism, cartoons are just animated drawings. Mind you I still think they should probably show them wearing seatbelts, but its the realism of the Sure ad that caught my attention.

MrMan - if the Sure ad people were to include something in the ad that showed that the car definitely wasnt moving, or add something to it to give it a sense of 'unrealism' thatd be fine - but in its current format I dont think it conveys a safe message and shouldnt be shown - but I wouldnt have viewed that as my 'job' to ensure it isnt. I complained, a number of other people complained, they are having an investigation, the ad is off the air, all good as far as Im concerned but if they hadnt done any of the above I wouldnt have persued it to insist it was removed, I was simply expressing my own views on it.

Did anyone see that advert with the airport service vehicles drag-racing? A more disgraceful sight I never did see! What if airport workers copied them and started racing along the runway? My flight would never be ready on time! And don't get me started on the condition the luggage would be in!

Did anyone see that advert with the airport service vehicles drag-racing? A more disgraceful sight I never did see! What if airport workers copied them and started racing along the runway? My flight would never be ready on time! And don't get me started on the condition the luggage would be in!

As for the car ad where it is driven along the roofs of buildings. :eek:

Truthseeker,

i noticed, whilst watching Peppa Pig with my 18 month old that the whole family were not wearing seatbelts, including Mummy and Daddy pig. I probably wouldn't have noticed had it not been for this discussion.

Cartoon or not I think this is disgraceful as it is a very bad example. I was behind a lorry load of pigs being brought to the slaughter house yesterday and not one of them was wearing a safety belt. Personally, I blame Peppa Pig. :D

Personally, I blame Peppa Pig. :D

That's stupid; Peppa pig is just a child. You should blame her parents Mr. and Mrs. Pig. If you are going to blame Peppa you may as well blame her little brother George. ;)

(Don't ya just love watching TV with the kids!:D)

That's stupid; Peppa pig is just a child. You should blame her parents Mr. and Mrs. Pig. If you are going to blame Peppa you may as well blame her little brother George. ;)

(Don't ya just love watching TV with the kids!:D)

No Peppa is definitely to blame.
George is too young to be of any consquence. Take it from me Peppa is evil.

ps Peppa Pig is not a child ...she is a PIG!!!!

I sense some discrimination against pigs, cartoon pigs and even worse elderly aged pigs ;)

Someone should have phoned Liveline about the Sure ad.
Joe would have just loved to have said the immortal word. "Sure" :D

Ha !, the Sure girl ad has been withdrawn following complaints to the ASAI, which were upheld.

[broken link removed]

The ASAI received 39 objections to the television advertisement, with complainants arguing that it gave the message that not wearing seatbelts was acceptable.

They stated that this ran contrary to the law and the policies of the Road Safety Authority (RSA).

When the ASAI contacted the RSA, the latter said it felt the advertisement did not portray a positive image in relation to seatbelt-wearing. "With this in mind and in view of the number of complaints received, the ASAI secretariat contacted the advertising agency and proposed that the advertising should be withdrawn," the ASAI said.

The advertising agency agreed to pull the advertisement before ASAI adjudication on the matter. It said there was no suggestion the vehicle was in motion and that it had confirmed with the RSA that the "vintage VW being used did not require seatbelts because of the age of the vehicle".

The ASAI "cautioned advertisers to show added care when advertising products that will attract younger viewers".

Keeping an eye on it? I was out campaigning for it!

(saw it on 'Have I got news for you' and just brought back memories)

Rte did a piece about a year ago,where the reporter was being filmed in a car which was moving ,and she had no seatbelt on.

I complained ,but they gave some excuse ,like we were compliant with health and safety blah blah the car was going very slow blah blah..
Must see if I still have their email and post it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back