'Sure Girl' advertisements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a letter back from the Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland telling me that they have taken the ad off the air from April 27th.

Got a letter back from the Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland telling me that they have taken the ad off the air from April 27th.

Fantastic news. So what's your next crusade ? I hope it's as worthwhile as this one.

Clearly Im not the only one who complained - I hardly imagine they take ads off the air for one complaint.

Clearly Im not the only one who complained - I hardly imagine they take ads off the air for one complaint.

You don't mind them; I think you're great.
Now can you do something about all the female hygiene products (tampon) ads on TV? I find them distasteful.

You don't mind them; I think you're great.
Now can you do something about all the female hygiene products (tampon) ads on TV? I find them distasteful.

lol - thanks Purple :D

now that Im on a roll perhaps people could list their pet hate advertisements, reasons why and Ill start tackling them.

Sure Girl is not over yet - they said they will write back to me after an investigation and let me know the results.

There was an ad years ago, where a beautiful women is wearing a blue lycra body suit and she is skating, was too young to know what the ads were for (tampons, i think) but old enough to know she was hot. My point being there is always room for beautiful women on tv no matter what they are trying to sell.

There was an ad years ago, where a beautiful women is wearing a blue lycra body suit and she is skating, was too young to know what the ads were for (tampons, i think) but old enough to know she was hot. My point being there is always room for beautiful women on tv no matter what they are trying to sell.

Ah sure Sally O Brien and the way she might look at you........

The latest ad to annot me is the one for Mastercard (I think) featuring young kids "firing" and "sacking" parents for not pampering to their needs ...until one dad gets "hired" because he uses his card to buy his son's affection with a 5 day sailing trip....Yuckkk! Drives me nuts! What was that Beatle's song again about money not buying love????

Ah sure Sally O Brien and the way she might look at you........

Amen to that :D. Reminds me of my elderly grandmother who when watching tv would mutter "gametes" any time a steamy ad appeared, again it took me a few years to understand what she was on about, (sex cells).

I dont want to preach truthseeker but maybe you could channel some of your energy towards more important issues among young people.

you mean like the heavy schoolbags they have to carry around with them?

Don't mind the oul slaggers. It's the oul Irish tradition of sitting in the pub whinging about everything, and whinging loudly at those who get up off the backsides and try to fix anything.

I don't that ASAI decisions are driven by the number of complaints they recieve.

Don't mind the oul slaggers. It's the oul Irish tradition of sitting in the pub whinging about everything, and whinging loudly at those who get up off the backsides and try to fix anything.

Or is this a case of new Irish thinking where we feel we must complain about everything? Could it be an inflated sense of self importance that makes people complain about ads because they don't feel that others are capable of making up their own minds, do you really feel that 3 girls dancing in the back of a car ( that doesn't look like its moving) wearing no seat belts is going to undo all of the work of the road safety ads?

Or is this a case of new Irish thinking where we feel we must complain about everything? Could it be an inflated sense of self importance that makes people complain about ads because they don't feel that others are capable of making up their own minds, do you really feel that 3 girls dancing in the back of a car ( that doesn't look like its moving) wearing no seat belts is going to undo all of the work of the road safety ads?

I dont see what self importance has to do with it?
As far as Im concerned I found the ad to be sending out the wrong messages which offended me so I complained.

As far as Im concerned I found the ad to be sending out the wrong messages which offended me so I complained.

Will it not be seen as a job well done only when its taken off the air?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back