Should I be a God mother?

I thought This post will be deleted if not edited immediately was baptised by John the Baptist? Don't remember any mention of Godparents...could God be his Godfather/mother?

Yes but I don't think J the B circumcised him! :D

When my sisters asked me to be godmother to their children I had the same dilemma. However, I came to the conclusion that it was an honour to be asked. I justified standing in the Church and saying what was asked of me by realising that I do reject evil and that's what Satan represents. More importantly, I realised that, if anything were to happen to one of my sisters and I was left to raise the children, then I would do so in a way they wanted me to and that would include religion. I'd do this until the children either looked after their own faith or told me they did not want to continue in the religion of their parents.

When my sisters asked me to be godmother to their children I had the same dilemma. However, I came to the conclusion that it was an honour to be asked. I justified standing in the Church and saying what was asked of me by realising that I do reject evil and that's what Satan represents. More importantly, I realised that, if anything were to happen to one of my sisters and I was left to raise the children, then I would do so in a way they wanted me to and that would include religion. I'd do this until the children either looked after their own faith or told me they did not want to continue in the religion of their parents.

Superb post and brilliantly put, exactly how I feel about the subject only you found the words!

Very well put liteweight. I would never ask my bil and wife to be godparents to my child because they don't believe in it. 2 of their kids were baptised but not the third. I also think they'd refuse. I want to pick someone who'll stick around and be there for my child if he/she ever needs help and who has the same sort of spiritual attitude as I do. I'm a catholic, I go to mass every now and then and my kids wil be brought up as catholics, although more so just as christians. So personally I wouldn't select an atheist as a godparent because it would be unfair to ask them to ignore evrerything they believe.
If someone was prepared to include my religious views when advising my child if I was no longer around then that's enough for me and I also think it's an honour to be asked.

By the way, I'm my brother's godmother. I was 12 and my other bro was 15 when he was born so our parents asked us to be godparents. We were also legal guardians as soon as we turned 18. These days though (bro is 18 now) I think you have to be 16 to be a godparent.

on a slightly separate note -

if i child is not baptised, that would mean they could not be buried in a catholic / christian graveyard. is that correct?

question number 2 - baptism and christening is one and the same thing, isnt it?

on a slightly separate note -

if i child is not baptised, that would mean they could not be buried in a catholic / christian graveyard. is that correct?

question number 2 - baptism and christening is one and the same thing, isnt it?

I am unsure of Q1 but in many parts of Ireland there are only catholic graveyards so I persume they are also used to bury unbaptised people.

Q2. Yes

Back