Should I be a God mother?

Our 18 month old recently went through a spell of not sleeping well. We put it down to teething. A family member wondered if it might be because we hadn't had the child baptised saying that "things like that can play on a child's mind"! :D

The poor thing was probably worrying about missing out on all that communion and confirmation money. :)

Actually maybe I'm only an atheist because I only got £7 (c. '74?) for my communion and £30 (c. '78) for my confirmation! ;)

your challenge (I am assuming here that you are baptised) should you choose to accept it....
Maybe a good "god"parent should intercede and suggest to the parents that they hold off on baptism until the child has grown and can make an informed choice for themselves? Maybe that's what I should have done with my brother and my nephew?

It's not impossible but that's not what I meant.

Who were This post will be deleted if not edited immediately's godparents by the way?

I didn't say it was impossible, just strange...
This post will be deleted if not edited immediately wasn't a Christian so he didn't have any godparents.

My point is that is many people that are godparents would not want the responsibility of raising other peoples children.
And my point is that that is not a requirement; the religious tradition of god parents does not extend to a legal responsbility.

Who were This post will be deleted if not edited immediately's godparents by the way

As a Jew born to Jewish parents it would be safe to assume that his parents followed in that tradition in regards to his upbringing and teaching - but I think you knew that!

You were asked to be your own brothers godparent? That's strange...

No, I know of a few families where this was done - as long as the prospective god parent is confirmed its quite acceptable.

I hate arguing with people who know more than me...
what does Wikipedia say about it then, eh?

http://judaism.about.com/library/3_lifecycles/bris/blbrit2.htm
Honored Roles

It is considered an honor to be given a special role in the circumcision ceremony.

Sandak holds the baby on his lap while the baby is circumcised.

Kvatterin is the "godmother" who takes the baby from the mother to the Kvatter.

Kvatter is the "godfather" who takes the baby from the Kvatterin to the Mohel.
So who were This post will be deleted if not edited immediately' Kvatter/Kvatterin?

I thought This post will be deleted if not edited immediately was baptised by John the Baptist? Don't remember any mention of Godparents...could God be his Godfather/mother?

Of course - but there's a big difference between just attending and actively/officially participating in proceedings as I have tried to explain above.
We already were.
Well, speaking personally, I have a strong aversion to mumbo jumbo and its propogation so always do whatever I can (no matter how small) to avoid this.
And what would be wrong with that? I would have a lot of respect for anybody who always strove to avoid hypocricy in their actions even if I had no time for their beliefs.
Because in most cases it can involve the godparent (as well as other participants) being expected to hypocritically profess in public to beliefs that they do not hold at all. To me that is at best silly and at worst hypocritical and insulting to those who do hold such beliefs genuinely.

I still don't buy it. Sounds like your fear of being considered a hypocrite is getting in your way. If the parents understand where you are comming from & are still want you to be godparent, then anyone who takes insult in that will have to deal that themselves.

Suppose I smoke, and tell people that smoking is bad for them. Is it wrong for me to tell them that smoking is bad for them????

Goodness is this still being debated?? I'm sure this child is planning her wedding by now!!

Thank you all. I understand that my sister want's me in her childs life, But my husband and I are in her will as the people to mind her children if anything should happen. She would take mine. It's been something we talked about a lot.

I don't believe and others might so I'm not sure if it's a good thing to stand up and let on. Doesn't seem straight

Can't decide.
Thankd for all your thoughts.

Back