Saw Child Verbally Abused in Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im confused now. Was the licence plate the defining piece of information or not?

MandaC - was there other information that you didnt disclose here that allowed you to identify the person?

What's all this rubbish about the DPA?

Perhaps the OP went back to Tesco and mentioned it to a mananger re the CCTV etc. and he mentioned there had been other complaints and that the mother was a junkie. Why jump to conclusions re DPA?

Perhaps the OP went to SW and they casually mentioned that they had had other complaints and that they were looking in to it but it would be difficult as there are substance abuse issues involved. So what if this was disclosed.

Absolutely, Welfarite.
This should even be above and beyond the Data Protection Act, and be in the realms of the right of people/patients/service users to have their confidentiality respected by healthcare professionals, if social workers or other health care professionals were involved.
This is an ethical (and can be a legal) duty of health care professionals. (for example, legal advise may well need to be sought before confidentiality may be breached.)
This is unless there is a very good reason to breach confidentiality, which even then, is only permitted under very particular circumstances, and should only involve limited information if at all possible.
I am unsure what the case is here, in this incident, as someone seems to have disclosed what appears to be confidential information to the OP

Nicola

Perhaps the OP went back to Tesco and mentioned it to a mananger re the CCTV etc. and he mentioned there had been other complaints and that the mother was a junkie. Why jump to conclusions re DPA?

Perhaps the OP went to SW and they casually mentioned that they had had other complaints and that they were looking in to it but it would be difficult as there are substance abuse issues involved. So what if this was disclosed.

Perhaps indeed, only Mandac can answer those questions :confused:

If this is the case, it would be a complete breach of confidentiality.
That's a big 'so what'.
If it were you, would you want your private information 'casually mentioned'? Quite apart from the moral/ethical/legal duty and responsibility of preserving confidentiality(by a social worker) in such a situation.
Obviously if it was the manager in Tesco that gave the information, there is no issue about duty, confidentiality or anything else.

What's all this rubbish about the DPA?

Are you saying that if you were identified on CCTV by a stranger, who obtained your name and the fact that you were a "junkie" from another stranger, it wouldnb't bother you, even it was unture?

And would you be happy if SW "casually mentioned" your problems to a complete stranger without your consent or knowledge?

MandaC - I feel you should give a brief outline as to what steps you took in reporting this matter to clear up how you obtained this information on this family. I would be appalled if any of my personal information was made available to a stranger who decided my behaviour was inappropriate.

It wouldn't bother me at all. but where's the breach of the DPA. I speak to SW and say I saw an incident in Tesco on Tuesday. They say oh is this re the kid getting abused? I say yes and they respond we're looking in to that, there is a history of drugs there". I still don't know who the offender is so what's the problem?

Are you telling me that if your house was robbed and the Gardai told you they know who it was but they are junkies and it will be hard to prove that you would make a complaint re the breach of the DPA? Just interested.

Are you saying that if you were identified on CCTV by a stranger, who obtained your name and the fact that you were a "junkie" from another stranger, it wouldnb't bother you, even it was unture?

And would you be happy if SW "casually mentioned" your problems to a complete stranger without your consent or knowledge?

MandaC - I feel you should give a brief outline as to what steps you took in reporting this matter to clear up how you obtained this information on this family. I would be appalled if any of my personal information was made available to a stranger who decided my behaviour was inappropriate.

What personal information did she obtain? Interesting that there's more concern regarding a possible disclosure of 'personal' information as opposed to the possible abuse of a child.

substance abuse or addiction is nobodys business whatsoever, the OP life was not threatened nor was she touched ( re blood contamination etc) by the person in question so it was not relevant to the OP in making the complaint, if me or families addictions (not saying we have) etc was casually mentioned then i would not be one bit happy, the issue here was a childs protection, thats what the OP wanted and hopefully contributed in a positive way to this. if the mother/ lady with the child, whoever she was, was a junkie, alcoholic etc, then that information is not for casual mention and certainly not for a randomers knowledge.

Sorry guys, I had a big long post typed and then when I went back to it I had lost it, so will have to start it again from scratch.

What personal information did she obtain? Interesting that there's more concern regarding a possible disclosure of 'personal' information as opposed to the possible abuse of a child.

THey are two seperate issues and being concerned about one doesn't imply not being concerned about the other!!!

This is pretty much what our old Parish Priest used to say before he launched into his sermons about marriage and childrearing. It was pretty obvious to anyone that heard him that he knew a lot less about the subject than those to whom he was preaching. :)

I have family and friends that have children so I'm around them quite a bit. I think the difference between good and bad childrearing is pretty obvious. It's actually much clearer to people on the outside looking in. For example a close family member who had a child and ruined her from a young age (as in, spoling, lack of discipline etc). This young woman is now causing more problems for herself and her family. It was perfectly obvious to everyone from day one that this would happen. Everyone except the parents. But it was their decision to bring her up that way. Can't interfere. But don't try and tell me that people that don't have children don't know what they're talking about. Absolute bull!

As far as I am aware a child has to suffer horrible neglect in this country before intervention, case in point recently of child in creche who was clealy been abused,
in short, carer complained to HSE several times but to know avail. Everyone is afraid of speaking their minds, if OP had intervened, maybe Mum would think twice before she did it again...its a hard one, Tesco should have a policy regarding safety of children while shopping, they should provide them with little trollies, something to occupy themselves with, and reward them with a sweet at the till and extra points for the Mum if she doesn't lose her rag!

As far as I am aware a child has to suffer horrible neglect in this country before intervention, case in point recently of child in creche who was clealy been abused,
in short, carer complained to HSE several times but to know avail. Everyone is afraid of speaking their minds, if OP had intervened, maybe Mum would think twice before she did it again...its a hard one, Tesco should have a policy regarding safety of children while shopping, they should provide them with little trollies, something to occupy themselves with, and reward them with a sweet at the till and extra points for the Mum if she doesn't lose her rag!

Big difference between a mum loosing her rag in a shop and abuse in acrech``

I was making the general point of child safety in our society, of course you cant compare the two, different levels of abuse, but abuse nonetheless. I recently came across a mum in tesco whos child was screaming, Mum was visbly distressed, I offered to help her with shopping and she was grateful for help, its the Mums who dont care, and just let the child wail away to ear busting levels while she calmly goes on about her shopping that drives me bonkers...

I was making the general point of child safety in our society, of course you cant compare the two, different levels of abuse, but abuse nonetheless.

I dont see how you can call a loving mother loosing her rag in a shop abuse in anyway. If that was the case there would be a lot of chikd abusers in ireland I d say. CHild safty is an important thing of course. However lumping in all sorts of trivial issues does no good to the real issue of child abuse.

its the Mums who dont care, and just let the child wail away to ear busting levels while she calmly goes on about her shopping that drives me bonkers...

So it's only the Mums who react to a tantrum who care? I found ignoring was the very best cure for a tantrum. Or is it just the noise that 'drives you bonkers'? In which case all crying children should taken out of your range of hearing?

I dont see how you can call a loving mother loosing her rag in a shop abuse in anyway. If that was the case there would be a lot of chikd abusers in ireland I d say. CHild safty is an important thing of course. However lumping in all sorts of trivial issues does no good to the real issue of child abuse.

Where do you draw the line then? A mum verablly abusing her child, or tugging her along, or choosing to ignore a tantrum rather than deal with it? Are these trivial issues? These types of situations have become all the more common in recent times, is it because Mums are under more pressure. Personally, I find it very upsetting when I come across these Mums, who let their children scream their heads off, with A. No consideration for their childs needs and B. No consideration for other shoppers. It shows a clear lack of understanding and control of their children. If a child is visibly upset, her/his needs, need to be adressesd,
by communicating clearly with the child and giving them you complete and utter full attention by removing them from supermarket until they calm down. A tantrum is not the childs fault, its a lack of communication by the parent. Anyway, I have digressed, children are the most vulnerable in our society and they need to be protected at all times, and parents need to put more fun and thought into trips to supermarkets with kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back