Royal Wedding

I watched it from early morning as the guests started to arrive. It was a great event.

Kate was a beautiful bride and her dress was stunning - as were her sister's and mother's. I agree that some of the outfits were not great.

The colour of Amy's dress is bubblegum pink.

They looked as if they were really enjoying themselves as William drove the dad's aston-martin festooned with "just married" ballons.

A very entertaining day was had by all. :)

Marion

There have been quite a few Irish Regiments in other armies not just the British Army. It happens a lot, there were also German regiments and Polish regiments in other armies.

Can you educate me? I'm not aware of any. I know there were some in past eras, but my impression is that they are all long gone except for the ones in the British army.

I think your view is fairly pathetic, we don't have copyright over the term Irish, like it or not there is a portion of this island that is Irish and British.

Why shouldnt we have copyright over the term "Irish"? It is our name. There is only one country on this island called "Ireland" and its not the British part - this is called "Northern Ireland". I would have no objection to regiments called the "Northern Irish Guards" or "Royal Norhern Irish Regiment". Its only a matter of time before we get dragged into some conflict due to the locals thinking that the "Irish Guards" attacking them represent Ireland.

Next time you are in London take it up with one of the Irish Guards.

p.s. University Hospital is quite convenient to Kings Cross tube station

It would be a brave instructor, or one nearing the end of his career, who would fail him. So probably he flies a helicopter like my ex-girlfriend drove a car.

That has to be the silliest comment this year!

Can you educate me? I'm not aware of any. I know there were some in past eras, but my impression is that they are all long gone except for the ones in the British army.

Why shouldnt we have copyright over the term "Irish"? It is our name. There is only one country on this island called "Ireland" and its not the British part - this is called "Northern Ireland". I would have no objection to regiments called the "Northern Irish Guards" or "Royal Norhern Irish Regiment". Its only a matter of time before we get dragged into some conflict due to the locals thinking that the "Irish Guards" attacking them represent Ireland.

Weren't the Irish Brigade fighting for the French at Fontenoy?

Phew, I can turn the TV back on now all de fuss is over. Just to stir it up a bit, here's what Thomas Paine (Rights of Man) had to say about Monarchy:

"Hereditary succession is a burlesque upon Monarchy.It puts it in the most ridiculous light, by presenting it as an office any child or idiot can fill. It requires some talents to be a common mechanic; but to be a King requires only the animal figure of a man - a sort of breathing automaton. "

"What is called the splendour of the throne is no other than the corruption of the state. It is made up of a band of parasites living in luxurious indolence out of the public taxes."

"Monarchy always seemed to me a silly contemptible thing."

"We must shut our eyes against reason, we must basely degrade our understanding, not to see the folly of what is called Monarchy."

" ...Monarchy is all a bubble, a mere court artifice to procure money..."

Not much has changed since the eighteenth century.

Yes. Your narrow minded insecure little life can continue at its pace. Just because people enjoy watching a historical spectacle full of pageantry, fashion etc doesn't make them less Irish than our bar stool republicans.
English people stayed out all night to get a good view of proceedings. Irish skangers used queue for days to get 10% discount off Budget Travel for their holiday to Tenerife

Yes. Your narrow minded insecure little life can continue at its pace. Just because people enjoy watching a historical spectacle full of pageantry, fashion etc doesn't make them less Irish than our bar stool republicans.
English people stayed out all night to get a good view of proceedings. Irish skangers used queue for days to get 10% discount off Budget Travel for their holiday to Tenerife

? I presume this is aimed at me. But it could be at anyone who finds the royal spectacle boring and silly. I don't care enough about royalty to be insecure, and fashion and historical pagentery require no monarch. Your argument would have kept the Pharaoh in splendour up to the present day. How such people who have inherited position, wealth and privilege love the fact that a bit of dazzle keeps the public wanting more and secures them in their place. The English need no monarch to have a party either, make St George's day into one and celebrate Britishness or Englishness or whatever. The mystique of monarchy is a folly. It traps the subjects in their role as subjects, and demeans the people who hold the office. Better they did something meaningful with their lives.

Lots of people seem to enjoy it, I don't knock that,let em at it. I don't rule the world, but I agree with Paine.

It shows people's priorities. Of course the reason that Budget Travel stopped giving these discounts is because it put more people off booking a holiday with them than it did to encourage them. Who wants to be landed beside that crowd on holidays

Who wants to be landed beside that crowd on holidays

Utter snobbery and nothing to do with the thread! Perhaps you should leave your derogatory posts re Benidorm and Tenerife in the Holiday Thread - you seem intent to point out that you do not need to take package holidays - good for you!

Back to original thread, I didn't watch the ceremony or anything but did tune in to look at the dress etc. Also the husband who never watches anything like that was well able to tell me all about Pippa and her dress! :D

It shows people's priorities. Of course the reason that Budget Travel stopped giving these discounts is because it put more people off booking a holiday with them than it did to encourage them. Who wants to be landed beside that crowd on holidays

Do you have inside information on why Budget travel stopped giving those discounts? Im sure they will beg to differ..

Do you have a problem with families who are tried to get a good deal?
I think its fair to say that there are people who queue to get a bargain even in Brown Thomas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorrick
Who wants to be landed beside that crowd on holidays

ney001;
Utter snobbery and nothing to do with the thread! Perhaps you should leave your derogatory posts re Benidorm and Tenerife in the Holiday Thread - you seem intent to point out that you do not need to take package holidays - good for you!
Plus one..

Also the husband who never watches anything like that was well able to tell me all about Pippa and her dress! :D

OK, I'm going to show my ignorance but wasn't the bridesmaid dress more like a wedding dress?
I thought that was a big no no.
I was at a wedding a few years ago and one of the guests wore a white 'wedding type' dress and everyone was bitching about her.

Somehow I don't think he was looking at the dress! :D There is now a pippa middleton ass appreciation society on facebook - 175,000 plus members!

I did think it was quite like a wedding dress myself but she did look stunning. I thought Kates second dress was gorgeous as well - much nicer then then the ceremony dress.

It doesn't show peoples priorities. It shows your contempt for those who chose package holidays. You have a hard time accepting that some people had no interest in the wedding and refer to them as being narrow minded and insecure? If that high horse you're on gets any higher it'll be a giraffe.

Back