Rockbrook, South Central, Sandyford

Marcia

Has anyone viewed these apartments ? Anybody have anything positive / negative to say about apartments or area ? What is the area like at night ? Do the LUAS stations attract gangs of kids causing trouble, drinking etc ? How much are the management fees ? Are kitchen appliances included in affordable apartments as they would be sold on the private market ?

Hi Maria,

Affordables in private developments tend to come fully loaded with all the same appliances that the people who have to pay full price would get.

If the development has been built by the council they tend to be of a lower spec as the council are not able to deliver as high a standard for the same price as the private sector and tend to try and cut costs by removing provision for extra plugs, wardrobes, appliances etc.

How are DL RD Co CO proposing to charge for the property? Make sure that you do review the council's open market valuation as they have tended to vastly inflate the open market valuation.

Hi Marcia

I have been invited to view the apartments by dl rathdown co co. They are priced at 200k for one beds and an extra 20k for a parking space. I was told that the 1 bed are 290k + 20k parking on the open market. I am now waiting for the developer to contact me to arrange a viewing. I have been told that originally none of the apartments were allocated for affordable housing, but i dont know about the authenticity of that. At this stage i am unsure as too whether i will proceed if given the opportunity to purchase. Any information from regarding this development would be greatly appreciated

Hi Marcia

I I have been told that originally none of the apartments were allocated for affordable housing, but i dont know about the authenticity of that.

I wouldnt be surprised if they are not selling why not try and get rid of them by another means for (maybe) slightly less profit but at least some profit. Affordable housing seems to be being pushed on to people on those lists...see some of my other posts re: aff. housing. This makes me suspicious of aff. housing...

Thanks for your observations. I am also waiting for the developer to contact me for a viewing. I would prefer a two bed but the price difference is huge - €275,000 for a two bed. I read recently that the Councils are trying to get rid of empty/unsold apartments by either giving them to people on the social housing list or to affordable housing applicants without the claw-back condition. I hope it happens in this case !

I looked to rent one of those apartments last year. I believe to buy them then was crazy money! From what I could gather there was no talk then of them being SAF.

Its a very large development, from what i was told there will be 700 units, personally i would not like the setting and there could be a potential for them turning into somewhat of a slum if units cant sell, having said that i'm sick of renting and living in sub standard accomodation, so i haven't ruled anything out. What do people think of the price tag 200k + 20k parking?

Just for a price comparison..they are selling one beds up in belarmine in stepaside for €190,000 on the open market. The luas isn't there yet but the proposed extension goes right beside the apts i believe.

One thing to be wary of is that it is still 50% a building site by the look of it.

I live across the way in the BSQ and look down on Rockbrook and to be honest unless you have a view to the sea you are talking crazy money right now though that said it is being offered thousands cheaper than those of us who got AF in the Beacon. Though in the Beacon purchasing the parking space was compulsory.

There wasn't due to be AF in Rockbrook but they can't sell them so they've given over a chunk to the council as far as I know.

Just make sure you can still get a mortgage for that and then also check if you can get a mortgage for an non-AF apartment, some in the area would be in or around the same price and you wouldn't have the claw back etc.

What is the status of the management company in this unfinished development? Is there one or multiple management companies - are they solvent? What are the current management fees and what was the % increase since last year? See links to news programmes on home page of [broken link removed]. This news items show the dilemma people in unfinished schemes are in.

Will the full development ever be built? What is the time frame - e.g. will the management company ever be able to be taken over by the apartment owners, or will the developer still maintain control and increase fees as required to cover the cost of maintaining the unsold apartments? There is currently no legislation in this area.

How much is it to rent one of these apartments currently?

Went to see apartments on Saturday. They look fine but I have decided the location is not good for me so I wont be going for it. Does this mean I have lost one of my chances and have only one more chance before I return to the bottom of the list ?

I also attended the viewings last saturday.

Let me just clarify some of the subtle points on these apartments:

The Affordable Housing prices for these apartments are:

1-bed : €200,000
2-bed : €274,500, €275,000 or €279,000 (depending on unit)

There were 78 apartments available on the scheme.

One parking space is included in the above prices.

A second parking space would cost €20k-€25k (An exact price was not given)

NO Kitchen appliances are included in that price. If you want the fitted Fridge/Freezer, Microwave, Oven/Hob and Dishwasher, you must pay an extra €1,600. Note that typically, a mortgage provider will NOT give you this as part of your mortgage!! (So I've been informed). There is no washing machine/dryer option available, but the utility room is plumbed for one to be bought.

There is NO flooring to the bedrooms and Living Room. There is tiling in the bathrooms and kitchen area, and wooden floor in the halls.

Fitted wardrobes and bathroom vanity units ARE included.

Went to see apartments on Saturday. They look fine but I have decided the location is not good for me so I wont be going for it. Does this mean I have lost one of my chances and have only one more chance before I return to the bottom of the list ?
I would suspect, yes.

But there seems to be a lot of apartments which will be earmarked for the Affordable Housing scheme. You still have one more refusal before being put at the end of the list. I suspect, the list will move a lot faster now than it did in the last 4 years.

If you turn it down tell them you're doing so because you could buy it for the same price on the open market with no restrictions.

DLRCOCO need to cop on get rid of the restrictions if they don't want 100s of empty apartments, or to make a huge loss in the longterm.

It seems very unfair that this should count as one of your choices given that the affordable price is crazy.

Hooke and mcDonald are launching the open market apartments in the next couple of weeks. i have heard that the one beds will be selling in the region of 230k so at that price i would not be intersted in the AH given all the restrictions, i paid a deposit last saturday but will be looking for it back.

The main advantage that the AH is providing me, personally, is that I can get a mortgage for the full amount I need from Haven (I guess assuming the market value IS more than the AH price). I haven't got a deposit saved, and AH is the only way I could afford to buy at present. While property prices ARE falling at present, and will more-than-likely fall after I buy (if I do), they should increase again in time. The Apartments in Rockbrook are in a good location, right next to the Luas and close to the M50, so I reckon they would hold value better than some other apartment developments.

Having said that though, if I had enough saved for a deposit, I would probably be avoiding the AH scheme.

At the moment I'm paying rent for a 1 bed apartment which is close to the cost of a mortgage on a 2-bed. I would prefer to be paying a mortgage on my own place.

I rang Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council AH Section and they told me I would have to be at the contract signing stage before pulling out would constitute losing one of my chances and even then I would still have one chance left. So nothing to worry about.

For me Rockbrook and Sandyford is too isolated. I am on my own and have no car. Access to places like Blackrock, Dun Laoghaire and Stillorgan are difficult by foot. It is very much still an industrial estate and there is little to do, few facilities such as a library, park or night classes, even nice scenery to go for a walk. I would prefer somewhere more residential.

these apartments are on viewing through hooke & macdonald on the open market this weekend...225k for one beds.. that represnts an 11% reduction for affordable housing..hmm plus the most attractive one beds are not available to AH

These are bigger apartments also.

I don't necessarily think they ARE bigger.

The ones being launched this weekend are 75-81 sq.m.

The ones on the affordable housing scheme are 71-89 sq.m.

I'm guessing, privately, 295k would get you the smallest apartment, say 75 sq.m.

On the affordable housing scheme, 275k would get you 89 sq.m. (if lucky enough to get one of the big ones).

They are looking for €30k (~10%) deposit to buy privately. That would prove difficult for me unfortunately.

Assuming they adjust the clawback according to current market value, it would only be 6.8% clawback instead of the original 33%.

Back