Renting house for ryder cup - thoughts?

bearishbull said:
actually there IS plenty of accomodation available through travel agents etc who have block booked for packages. not all hotels are booked out and if you consider the amount of hotel beds/B&B's in dublin /leinster i cant envisage a shortage at the end of september for the amount of people arriving for the ryder cup.
Please show us 'plenty' of examples of luxury accomodation currently available - If this isn't available online, let us know which travel agent is currently offering this and at what price.

don't know about luxury - but I found accommodation available from the wednesday through to the monday in Dublin on [broken link removed]. I imagine that bearishbull has a point though in that many of the better hotels have been booked up in advance by travel agents etc in the hope of selling packages.

Look at who you're trying to attract. Wealthy, hardcore golfers from America, Germany, Denmark, etc. How can you get your message to them?? Golfweek Magazine or Golf World Magazine are weekly U.S. publications that have a classified section where people advertise things like rental homes. Anyone subscribing to these magazines would be considered hardcore golfers. Might be a good avenue for anyone looking. Not sure how much it would cost to run an ad or what to ask for a week's rental, but might be worth risk. Good Luck.

I was talking to someone involved with a major hotel in the vicinity of the Ryder cup, the person informed me that they had sold a lot of rooms to a booking company, but that the booking company had not been able to sell them all on annd had returned a number of rooms in the past week or two. I don't know the numbers involved, but the source is very reliable.

Apparently 30,000 people are due into Ireland for that week booked on private jets ALONE so whoever posted earlier to say Ryder cup won't attract too many visitors is wrong. I believe 20,000 tickets per day have been issued and the lottery was over subscribed by 3 to 1 so a lot of interested people wanting to attend that don't have tickets. I see 24 posts and not one addressing the original question of "any ideas of pricing or have done it before, good/bad stories…" so I'm going to add post number 25 avoiding the question, sorry don't know but do know a lot of Americans are willing to pay crazy prices for tickets on Ebay so really at the end of the day if someone is willing to pay you 7,500 for you're place jump on it!!

My belief is that if there is so much money to be made from renting out these houses then presumably the agents woulds be operating on a commission basis with no advertising costs to the owner as they would stand to make more.
As I live in the area in question I contacted 2 agents and received no follow up calls, emails etc..Somebody I know who is invloved with a travel agent and who has over 100 packages for the competition has not been able to rent out his substantial home 5 mins from the venue:(

but do know a lot of Americans are willing to pay crazy prices for tickets on Ebay (I have 4 to sell)
As far as I can tell tickets cannot be resold - this is because the lottery tickets will be issued with the names of the successful applicants on them, the applicant must then have the passport used on the application form - this is in light of anti-terror precautions. How do you purport to get around these?
In addition, where do you get your information about the 30,000 people arriving in private jets?

Not all tickets we're issued with passport numbers linked to them. Also do you think they will have time to cross check 20,000 tickets per day against a passport and more importantly what if you forgot you're passport I can't see them turning away too many people.

They turn away pensioners from bars in the US if they don't have ID. Americans are used to this.

What have pensioners in US bars got to do with the Ryder cup in Ireland??!!

Just think of all the calls into Joe Duffy and Gerry Ryan from people who genuinely bought tickets and arrived at the gate without identifcation and we're turned away in Kildare. Personally I can't see that happening!

You said there were 30,000 people booked in on private jets. I suspect a large majority of these would be getting the jet from somewhere far far away, like the US maybe, and that these'll be the individuals buying your tickets.

If it says on the ticket you'll be asked for ID then you've no complaints if you are. If it doesn't then you've a case. Americans are well used to being asked for ID and I don't think they'd be arsed ringing Joe Duffy, Gerry Ryan maybe, but certainly not Joe.

Ok you miss the point. Forget about the americans what about all the Irish people who have bought tickets for this, firstly we won't actually get our tickets until 6 weeks before so I don't know what it will state on them, however again I doubt it will say no id no access but if it does where do people stand legally, they have bought these tickets would they have any rights if turned away without id?? I'm not talking about people (like me) who are trying to sell tickets but what about people who genuinely bought tickets but forget id's?

Well hopefully those who only bought tickets to pass on to others at inflated prices will get stung, these scalpers are parasites on society and regularly make a farce of attending sporting events for genuine fans.

Temp said:
Ok you miss the point. Forget about the americans what about all the Irish people who have bought tickets for this, firstly we won't actually get our tickets until 6 weeks before so I don't know what it will state on them, however again I doubt it will say no id no access but if it does where do people stand legally, they have bought these tickets would they have any rights if turned away without id?? I'm not talking about people (like me) who are trying to sell tickets but what about people who genuinely bought tickets but forget id's?

Yeah it's a fair point, but I think it all comes down to what's stated on the ticket. It's the same with Ryanair flights, you don't need a passport to travel within the EU but they insist on ID for the exact same reasons, security. Manys the person who's been turned away from Dublin airport for not having ID.

All it needs is to be clearly stated, and probably well advertised, and then people don't have a leg to stand on simple as that.

re the original point there was a website advertised in paper yesterday - sunday indo I think which advertises homes for the ryder cup - I think it was €65 to put your gaff up on the site. I don't know anything else about them!!!!!

According to The Sunday Times (June 4th) this boom has not materialised at all - absolutely no demand for these properties - well I lie, apparently a house (top of the range) was let in Celbridge to CNN for 12,000, but that's it.

An estate agent I know in the area said he'd received letters from the media/press indicating they were only sending a skeleton crew to cover the event because of the cost/greed.

Typical irish greediness, biting the hands that feed ya
I don't think there ever was going to be the demand in the first place - just a few lads (one of whom pm'd me here and it was'nt endearing) drummed up interest so people would advertise their properties on their websites for a nce fee. Have you ever checked out the websites, some of the ads were brilliant - 3 bed semi in dun laoghaire for 20K per week!!

Back